Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 12 Feb 2012, 7:07 pm

As most of the "older" generation of DIP players, I like our traditional forum-based email games and I truly hope that they continue. I hope we can find enough people who will play them.

At the same time, I do have a lot more admiration for the judge games than I used to have in the past (until Otto, I would not dream of playing judge games, because of their apparent anonymity and impersonal foundation).

Now, let me ask you a question: What is the biggest issue people have with Diplomacy?

Personalities, others and your own. No matter how professional you try to be, there is still something that gets to you when you get stabbed by somebody with whom you have shared an element of trust and planning. Sure, it's a game, but we still invest a certain amount of ourselves into these games. Veterans know how to roll with the punches, most of the time. Newbies, on the other hand, may quickly get turned off, especially in a game where stabbing becomes the norm.

How can Otto reduce this effect? It supports anonymous players. I'm not talking about NO-PRESS "gunboat" games, but regular press games. My thinking here is that when you are playing with "anonymous" players, then that personal element (I can see who they are) is greatly reduced and there is less reason to feel personally insulted or humiliated.

Okay; I know what you can say: Sure, and watch for the increased sniping, unthinking assaults, and lack of any propriety. Perhaps, but then again, as a player you can demand to be treated with respect even if the player is your opponent. Or you cut them off and ally with whomever agrees to get rid of the miscreant.

Well, that's my theory and I'd like to hear from participants of any non-gunboat anonymous games what they think about this. Or did the anonymity matter at all?

Sorry to go on and on.
Adjutant

Post 12 Feb 2012, 10:18 pm

Look I've had an automated game or two, heck I think you we're in one of them George and we dominated in an F/G, might be thinking of someone else, it was some time ago. Personally I like the old PBEM system, maybe it's just me but I find it easier to get to know your friends and foes on a more personal level rather then the new forum posting style system. It's kind of like a base ball team, you all go and have soda's and ice cream after the game, obviously the soda's become beers and the ice creams become pizza's if you win.

Stabbing is a part of the game, everyone does it at some point in time. Perhaps we should clearly explain that to new players so they know straight away not to put too much trust in the likes of me and you :-) Ultimately however, if you get stabbed and can't get your head around it and get over it, then bluntly it's time to find a new hobby, try Otto perhaps :-)

What is it that get's to you. I think it's the sense of betrayal. Or perhaps you've been too over confident for your own good and instead of being the player you suddenly find out you've been played. I guess it would be similar to finding out that a girl friend has just betrayed you with say your best friend, probabally not that intense but you get the meaning. But the big thing that I think some people forget is although this is purely a hobby, this is simply a game. If you get stabbed then you know for next time not to put your full trust in them, if you do. Then bluntly you deserved to get stabbed again lol :-)
Ambassador

Post 13 Feb 2012, 6:29 am

Well, I agree with George. I prefer the anonymous games with press on Otto to other types. I was not a snail-mail player, but I have been playing PBEM on and off for since about 1992.

As we have a fairly small community, games with known players can be good, but for some reason seem to go better when GM'd by hand. I can't put my finger on why, but that's just my impression.

But, as the forum games are limited, at least we have Otto. My concern is that Redscape is in decline, after the technical problems towards the end of the old site we had a new site with a much smaller membership and where it seems harder for admins to set up forums for games.
Dignitary

Post 13 Feb 2012, 7:51 am

I think another problem may be disappearing Admins. On the old site you had 4 or 5 Admins who were very active on the site and/or easy to get a hold of. Now, Chad has disappeared, Christine hasn't posted in a while, Tom has stated he will be taking a break from Diplomacy after his current NWO game is completed.

The old Admins are disappearing and they are not being replaced by new ones who learn to work the site like the old ones did.
Dignitary

Post 13 Feb 2012, 10:39 am

I agree, Russell. And I hear nobody knows how to create a regular GM-led game on this site. I would volunteer to GM games if I knew how the process works. On the other hand, iLLuM and SloTerp (I believe) have had new game openings for quite awhile, but are still not filled. I'm not sure if they know how to actually get it started on their own, either.

Otherwise, Ozzie, I'm not too distressed by stabs, myself, except when it keeps me from winning, of course! Still, how do we get information to (possibly) new players? There is information to be found in HELP and a quick run-down on the home page before you log on. But I would like to see the forum in Otto at least have some read-only FAQs that better clarify the relationship between Otto and the Resurrection site and how it can be used.

In fact, one thought I had is to totally separate the two as independent DIP sites. Then could be less confusion over intentions and procedures. It does mean another domain name, too. But then each site would have its own forum and game choices. Perhaps we could regain some of the members we have lost when they learn that we can still do things "the old way" and like Danivon wrote, have that good feeling of a real GM making reports and adding some commentary here and there.

Otherwise, we just have to face the fact that the hobby is once again making one of its dramatic shifts in priorities and we either work with it or find something else to do with all of our free time. In the end, I do like Otto, overall. It is quick, easy to set up, and does a good job of adjudication, as far as I can see. Wish it had variable adjustment periods, but that's no deal breaker.
Ambassador

Post 13 Feb 2012, 11:51 am

georgeatkins wrote:I agree, Russell. And I hear nobody knows how to create a regular GM-led game on this site. I would volunteer to GM games if I knew how the process works.
I have made this offer in response to threads that our Admin have posted in. I think they need Chad to do the business to either set up forums or to allow them to. In the meantime, we will struggle.