Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Emissary

Post 15 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm

Hi guys,

I have not GM'ed a game for ages, and I really miss the AE a lot. So here is a request, if there even is any interest.

Please respond here or send me an email to dipillum at gmail dot com.

The game needs 10 players and I need some time to dig out the old maps and so on. So let me know and I will decide then if this game happens.

I will let anyone know the status in here.

Peace

iLLuM (Marcel)

Variant Link: http://www.diplom.org/Zine/F2008M/AnE/AErules.htm
Emissary

Post 22 Jan 2012, 2:30 am

I'm not sure what you mean by invitation only. Do we say here if we want to play and then you pick the 10 people that you want or have you already sent invites out ?
Emissary

Post 22 Jan 2012, 3:58 am

I have three players only so far. I guess there is just not enough interest in redscape as a whole.
I will postpone my plans for now, maybe things will pick up again some day.
Dignitary

Post 22 Jan 2012, 1:29 pm

Nuts! Why quit so soon? I admit that the board is not quite as populated as before, but I think we'll find other people. Put me down for an Invitation, illuM!
Emissary

Post 23 Jan 2012, 9:26 am

People rarely look at this section of the forum now. Ever since Otto was introduced the forums seem to have died a grisly death, which is a shame. You'd be better off emailing round a few people to see if you can drum up players.

I'd play btw.
Ambassador

Post 23 Jan 2012, 11:31 am

I did send an email expressing interest, I assume it got there...

It's not just that Otto came in, it's also that the easy way to set up a game (the GM Hosting form) and the setting up of game forums doesn't seem to have been carried over from the old site.

Which is a shame. I've said before, if it's set up I will GM a game. Until then, I won't.
Emissary

Post 23 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

I agree,
so far I have: archduke, danivon, sassenach and georgeatkins.... Yep you are right, lets see how it fills.

We need some way to get Redscape activity surging again!
Dignitary

Post 23 Jan 2012, 5:54 pm

If there was some way to do a mass email to the membership....
Dignitary

Post 23 Jan 2012, 7:18 pm

Sassenach wrote:Ever since Otto was introduced the forums seem to have died a grisly death, which is a shame.

I agree that it is a shame. Especially since I generally don't play in automated games. I had too many problems with the DP Judge over the years that I tend to stay away from automated games as much as possible.
Emissary

Post 23 Jan 2012, 11:56 pm

I play them occasionally. It seems to work fine, but there's something slightly soulless about the whole experience. It's also limited to the variants that are available on Otto, which rules out most of the more interesting games out there.
Dignitary

Post 24 Jan 2012, 6:48 am

Well, I think this judge we are using is better than those judges in the past; and you don't have to worry about some awful syntax, either. Seeing who has sent in orders or finalized them is a nice benefit. I think one of the biggest issues for the judge, as it stands, is the inability to define adjustment periods. Of course, if everybody finalizes orders and adjustments, the game can progress faster. And it is not quite so obvious how to add an EOG (or read one) once a game has ended.With regard to variants, there are sites that use this same judge and carry more variants; so it might be possible to add more to Otto, as well. I imagine that if some of us knew how to program in php and java, we might be able to add some of these enhancements.

In spite of that, I don't know why there are not more forum games and more activity in the forum, esp. given the existing tournament games that have wrapped up. There has to be a lot of people who have liked - and still like - Redscape. At the very least, if long-time members were disatisfied, you'd think they would at least post messages about it. We have not been shy in the past about bringing up concerns. On the other hand, Diplomacy has its high and low times as people go into and out of the Hobby (lord knows, I do that). I think we've been in a low period for several years, in fact. Look at the Diplomatic Pouch, for example.

Maybe what we can do here to see if we can generate some more forum activity is to have some open forum-based games available and wait for people to discover them. As Danivon pointed out, it's not at all clear how to set up a forum game now. But if we had several that were open-until-filled, maybe people would start dropping back in.
Emissary

Post 24 Jan 2012, 9:04 am

You touch on a good point there George. The Otto system of having an arbitrary time limit for registrations makes it difficult to fill up the larger variants. With the size of the community here I think we have to accept that bigger games will take longer to fill, so it would be nice if they could be kept open longer to gove more time for people to get involved.

I spoke to Tom btw, to see if he has any idea how we can get the sub-forums thing activated again, but he has no idea. I suspect it'll just be a case of getting Chad to give the appropriate admin rights to somebody. Tom apparently plans to take a break from Dip after his NWO game finishes so probably not him, but maybe if we could find a couple of other guys willing to take it on ? This assumes of course that Chad can ever be found again.
Dignitary

Post 26 Jan 2012, 12:25 pm

Well, he has been in some of the Otto games. Was in my most recent one, as a matter of fact. But maybe he's ticked because I more or less turned on him. I dunno. I reckon it's not a good idea to go after a site's web administrator!

On the other hand, if somebody around here is handy with PhP, perhaps they can program a variable adjustment phase routine so that it can be timed according to wish.
Emissary

Post 28 Jan 2012, 3:09 am

I hate to say, that their are other webdiplomacy sites, which are a lot more successfull. And if you are a half decent redscaper you are going to rock most boards there...

Redscape still is the king
Emissary

Post 28 Jan 2012, 3:11 am

Oh an AE is not a large variant.... it still is only half full. Game start is more likely to be in Q2... but you are all on my list!