Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Emissary

Post 20 Oct 2011, 8:47 am

I'd like something fairly middle ranking. Not hugely bothered whereabouts in the world but I'd prefer not to have to take on a superpower since this will be the first time I've played the format.
Ambassador

Post 20 Oct 2011, 10:41 am

GMTom wrote:Slow to fill, not looking good fellas!
Patience, Tom.

Is there some need to rush starting this? How long has it been up to sign up for? Is it really a good idea to chop a load of powers out without at least giving it a while for people who have not been around for a while to find out that it's happening, that Redscape still exists, and puts in?

I'll play:

diplomacy
at danivon
dot com

Anything in South America.
Administrator

Post 20 Oct 2011, 12:24 pm

no rush, no changes are required just yet.
I am however thinking ahead and assuming the worst. It's easier to do now than later.
The sign up is fairly new BUT it had been discussed elsewhere in this section (I still need to delete that thread) for a few weeks. So we had a big rush to start thanks to that few weeks lead time but the last 2 days has seen only a couple new joinings per day
Ambassador

Post 20 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

I count 4 in the past 24hrs, we can't be far off 1/2 full.
Administrator

Post 20 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

but it's slow still, this game would fill in 2-3 days in the past!
but we can wait "a bit" no problem!

I also have a few emails that need to be sent out, I did not do that yet and that can possibly generate another big inrush.
...but it's my anniversary today, not gonna do it tonight, those messages can wait I think
wink-wink, nudge-nudge
Ambassador

Post 21 Oct 2011, 12:31 am

Count me in!

rollsgarethrolls AT hotmail DOT com

No prefs.
Adjutant

Post 21 Oct 2011, 1:00 am

Lemme at it
Adjutant

Post 21 Oct 2011, 1:01 am

And I guess while I notice... any chance I can get my old account back? Joining Oct 15 2011 just doesn't sit right with me.... been too many years.
Ambassador

Post 21 Oct 2011, 3:51 am

If there's still any cold seats available...

p [dot] a [dot] e [at] zen [dot] co [dot] uk

Any country, except those starting with the letter 'A', or ending with the letter 'A'

(I fondly remember playing this variant twice: Angola: nuked to hell. Argentina: nuked to hell on a two-way ticket.)
Administrator

Post 21 Oct 2011, 6:14 am

now at 27 (and I sent no emails to my past participants yet)
One question that was asked of me that I completely missed

When I changed things around and added all those myriad of new rules (armageddon, Terrorism, UN troops, etc) I did a lot of things to keep the bigger powers somewhat in check so I eliminated the range restrictions on wing units. (figuring the restrictions was a pain in the butt). I actually forgot I removed the restrictions and it shows on this map as having no such range restrictions.

For those who do not know what the hell I'm talking about,
Wings were added to keep the big boys in check. Wings can not take ownership of a supply center, they also had a "range restriction" that required them to stay within 2 spaces of any owned supply center OR units (for refueling purposes) this restriction keeps them from being able to influence too great an area. I mentioned the restrictions were a pain to figure out, moving into and out of range is a bit of work to figure out. They DO have some unique abilities that can make the valuable in the right circumstances but generally they are not as desirable and starting powers off with these wings keeps them from jumping out to TOO big a start!

I am going to rewrite the rules to re-institute the restriction rules
any problems with this, please let me know, if you can sway me into keeping it without the range, wonderful! (I really want to avoid the extra figuring so if you can make a good case then let convince me please! ...But I see it as giving the big powers too much extra power if I lose that range rule.
Administrator

Post 21 Oct 2011, 7:16 pm

Note the new web page for this particular game
http://www.freewebs.com/tomahaha/nwosimplified.htm

similar stuff, just fine tuned
I will also add the proposed ideas for a smaller game IF REQUIRED
seems a good place to put it while the ideas are in my noggin
Administrator

Post 24 Oct 2011, 9:35 pm

C'mon guys, ALL are welcome
New to Redscape and think this looks wild, think it looks interesting? then sign up!
Post it here or email, whatever you prefer

Not a member on Redscape but you somehow saw this, then drop me a line, no need to be a member, this is about the hobby community being served, it just so happens to be on Redscape (Hell, I'm playing in a game on another site right now myself.)

If you think it looks in the least bit interesting, sign up, help us out!
I can give you a tiny power that will likely be eliminated quickly. But those powers can also be fun, you manage to live another day, then another, suddenly you are wanted as a part in an alliance with two bigger powers, it's kinda wild how the end game can play out. And if you got wiped out, at least you gave it a shot, maybe you had at least a good time trying to fight an uphill battle?
Administrator

Post 25 Oct 2011, 11:29 am

A few pokers are still in the fire but I see no way we ever reach 50 players.
Not to fret as I think we may reach the smaller version of 37 players and I even have some ideas to further reduce to 34.

Since retraction is almost a certainty, I ask those interested to check out that smaller map already posted on the games website. A few changes that came to mind (I will post tonight)
Canada is a lost power, I had stated it sucks to lose a real life major power but it fit THIS game well. I think I came up with another idea to help that situation. I already added 4 standing armies, but to give greater defensive power (to keep the US from steamrolling through the region) I think it a good idea to add standing armies in ALL Canadian centers (WIN and HAL)
ALSO, I will have the neighboring pairs TOR-MTL and VNC-EDM support each other at all times. This requires substantial effort to be made to break through!

also, I plan to remove NO (New Orleans) as a supply center

If we need further reduction:
36 power = Remove Spain
standing armies in MAD and VLC

35 power = Remove Congo
standing army in Congo
Angola now a D class

34 power = Remove Cuba
this gets kinda fun...
add standing armies in all 3 Cuban centers
remove Miami as a center (hard for the US to push into Cuba with so much ease)
ALSO, all Cuban standing armies do not cross support (as in Canada) but they have an extra defense vs US forces only (they really hate the US and get extra revved up to fight her)

I have plenty of negatives all aimed at the USA, however, with her "corner" position, few neighbors, superior power, nuke advantages, etc... It simply needs to be done. I also kind of like the global reach of the US while she has a real option to follow an isolationist path with such ease for a long while. A neat dynamic (I hope)
Emissary

Post 26 Oct 2011, 8:32 am

I like the idea of neutral powers having armies to defend the centers!
Dignitary

Post 26 Oct 2011, 12:48 pm

I am in and have sent a reply.

Crawdadr@hotmail.com

I dont want to be in Europe, Would prefer the Middle East or South East Asia. Saudi Arabia being my first choice. (But I realy just want to play)