Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 20 Apr 2016, 3:23 am

I posted something similar in "Variant Lab" but wanted to empahsise that this is a current game opening, so here goes...

I have a Diplomacy-like game I would like to test out. It is currently in playtest mode in a play-by-email group largely built from regulars at Board Game Geek and Board Game Designers Forum. I am GMing one game but would like to run a second game. I need five players. I could be one of the five if someone else handled the hidden information (a very light job, drawing a card now and then).

The basic details were described in my variant post:

Hi Diplomacy people...
I have played a bit of online Dip in the past, mostly at Bounced, and have also played a few face-to-face games.
I've recently become interested in board game design and I have started designing a new board game that has many parallels with Diplomacy, including the core mechanic of simultaneous ordering. The game is set on a struggling planetary colony, where five factions are fighting to get control and save the planet from famine and from each other.

Differences to standard Dip:
You have to manage an economic engine, not just Supply Centres
You can trade resources
Different parts of the map have different values to different players, based on which resources they need
It is possible to win without concentrating on military conquest
Solos are not possible, by design - you need to share victory with one ally
There is a spherical map with no safe corners and everyone interacts with everyone else
Some fog-of-war with units on secret Location Cards instead of the map
Uses a worker-placement mechanic a bit like Puerto Rico
Designed for five players

Similarities:
Mess up the diplomacy and you are dead
Need to balance trust with skepticism
Simultaneous military orders

If anyone is interested, please contact me.

Trailer here:
https://youtu.be/RrLiZLibHs8

Please let me know if you are interested. Rules available on request.
Emissary

Post 20 Apr 2016, 7:36 am

Under normal circumstances I'd be happy to sign up, but at the minute I don't really have the time to be able to commit I'm afraid. I daresay you'll find a few guys who are up for it though.
Adjutant

Post 20 Apr 2016, 3:22 pm

Okay, thanks for replying. The game might not get going for another month, or it could start next week, depending on how slow it is finding players.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 23 Apr 2016, 11:49 am

If you get a game going, you're welcome to have a forum here for posting maps, press, etc... Given the diplomacy element, it seems like a good fit. Just let me know and I'll create one.

Best of luck!
Mike
Adjutant

Post 24 Apr 2016, 3:36 pm

Thanks for the offer SLOTerp...
Adjutant

Post 01 May 2016, 12:40 am

No interest from people here, it seems. If anyone is halfway curious about Kepler, and has access to Tabletop Simulator, I will be running a teaching session for Kepler every Saturday morning, Australian time, which is Fri Night US time. Details at Red Dice, or email me (crgmccollATTYAHOOdottcomdottAU).

If you are unfamiliar with Tabletop Simulator, check it out. It is not ideally suited for Diplomacy, because of the long playing time, but it is basically a physics engine that allows live play of board games with friends or strangers online. Most major games are already supported, and it is fairly easy to import a game to the platform. It is great for prototyping, and it looks like it will be my best option for playtesting my own game.

Most if us use Discord for audio during play sessions.

For Diplomacy, you would have to split the game into multiple live sessions, but it is very doable.