Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 08 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm

So close!! One more !
Administrator

Post 08 Dec 2014, 1:08 pm

if t helps fill the game, I could register with my Tommahaha account as well!? That would fill up the game. Yep, I'm just doing my part to help out!?

edit:
nope, that old user name is deleted. You guys are stuck with only the one me.
Ambassador

Post 09 Dec 2014, 9:02 am

See what happens when you ask people to "belly up to the bar" ???

You get reprobates like jedi knight and GMTom showing up. Whoooaaa. Break out the kegs
Administrator

Post 09 Dec 2014, 11:55 am

we gotta get this thing started soon, Geezerguy isn't named "geezer" by accident! This guy has not got too many days left in him so, by God, start soon!!!

oh, and if we do start real soon
I am not asking for any delays but I am traveling out of town this weekend and will have spotty access (one of the reasons this is not a good time for me to start a new game)
But one good thing about my trip,
I am visiting my daughter in San Diego and while there I have plans to see San Diego Smith!
and yes, no doubt we will be bellying up to some bar or another!
Ambassador

Post 09 Dec 2014, 10:05 pm

To quote Larry the Cable Guy:

"I don't care what anybody says, that's funny"
Ambassador

Post 29 Dec 2014, 9:00 am

Happy New Year!! Are we starting this 'next year' ???
Administrator

Post 29 Dec 2014, 10:59 am

Please remove me from the game, it's been too long to wait and I am considering dropping Diplomacy as a hobby in it's entirety.
Adjutant

Post 29 Dec 2014, 3:43 pm

So, we have:
geezerguy -
Erik -
tiresias
jediknight

Email a friend! Or send me a few email addresses and i will do some recruitment.

greenlantern86 (at) gmail
Ambassador

Post 06 Jan 2015, 8:14 am

OK, this is nuts !!!

You posted this game in mid-October and here we approach mid-January.

In years past, after 3 months, we'd be damned near the end of the game, in Spring 1908 at least.
Has the time for this game passed? Has everybody moved on? I remember a membership roll that was approaching 6,000 members. To quote a 60's song, "Where Have All The Flowers Gone"
Screw the flowers. Where has everybody else gone? This is very disheartening.
Adjutant

Post 06 Jan 2015, 8:59 am

I agree!

If someone else posted a game, I would play immediately!

Patrick
Ambassador

Post 06 Jan 2015, 3:45 pm

It's not because YOU posted the game, Patrick. I just think that period when we were shut down for a few months, players found other things to do. I was really happy to see Rob(jedi knight) back with us.
And I really can't blame GMTom for losing interest. Three months waiting is nuts.
Dignitary

Post 06 Jan 2015, 5:30 pm

...And how many games did I propose over the last year that went for naught? There are several explanations/reasons for this lack of participation, I think:

1. The growing popularity of online sites like VDiplomacy, featuring lots of variants, variable game setups, built-in messaging, instant judging, and a growing reliance upon 1-day or less season turnarounds.

2. The original overhaul of Redscape caught many veterans by surprise and more than a few, I think, were not happy with the new design, even though our current landlords have tried to overcome several of these design issues.

3. The attempt by Chad to create and promote a parallel (but more limited) version of vDiplomacy alongside the standard Redscape site, which had a confusing navigation between the two. It did not win over older fans, nor attract enough newer players, even though the concept was good..

4. There were many problems with veteran Redscapers losing their logons, ranks, history, etc., and maybe Chad was not able to get them back fast or thoroughly enough.

5. Chad lost interest in the site and abandoned it (as you noted, GeezerGuy), which further drained the pool of players. Veteran GMs also gave up.

6. Along with the newer online sites (supra #1), newer and younger (I think) players have come along, favoring the quicker turnaround "instant feedback" and messaging-based sites, rather than traditional PBEM sites like Redscape.

7. Tournaments are nice crowd-makers, as we have seen. But without the follow-through, people drift on. Several of us spoke out to make sure that there would be as many open games waiting for players as possible towards the end of the last NWO tournament. There was just a few, at best; not enough to make a difference. Where were the other volunteer GMs?

8. Still, this is not unique. Many other long-term sites have seen popularity and participation decline, as well. Perhaps PBEM is now as antiquated as PBM is to us. Is anybody looking forward to a Dip game lasting 2 or 3 actual years? You think those people on vDiplomacy would flock here to enjoy the speedier 3-6 month games we have?
Ambassador

Post 08 Jan 2015, 6:53 am

I am also having difficulty filling the NWO game. I've had a lot of people say they are busy, but to keep them in mind for next time. Could be a bad time of year for people on top of everything else.
Dignitary

Post 08 Jan 2015, 11:15 am

Sendric wrote:I am also having difficulty filling the NWO game. I've had a lot of people say they are busy, but to keep them in mind for next time. Could be a bad time of year for people on top of everything else.

Now that is surprising. Maybe Ruffhaus needs to put an announcement on the vDiplomacy.com web site, which I believe he did last time.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jan 2015, 11:21 am

georgeatkins wrote:
Sendric wrote:I am also having difficulty filling the NWO game. I've had a lot of people say they are busy, but to keep them in mind for next time. Could be a bad time of year for people on top of everything else.

Now that is surprising. Maybe Ruffhaus needs to put an announcement on the vDiplomacy.com web site, which I believe he did last time.

Actually, that was done. I have gotten a few players from there that played last time as well as a few who will be new.