Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 06 Sep 2013, 5:39 am

georgeatkins wrote:Well, belated congratulations and have a great honeymoon! Where y'all heading?

Tenerife.

Great to see so many old faces reappearing - and some new ones.
Dignitary

Post 06 Sep 2013, 8:24 am

SLOTerp wrote:
georgeatkins wrote:Glad to have you back! How are things down in Surry? Is the Smithfield Packing Co now offering Chinese lessons to its employees? (still love their hams!)
George

OT: Ate at a vegetarian restaurant in Smithfield early this summer (w/ a veg. relative) and I still can't get over that I was eating in that town without a slab of pig in front of me. Oh, the irony!

Well, our good ol' Virginia hospitality ("Virginia is for lovers") is such that even Vegetarians, Vegans and other odd sorts can have an enjoyable meal without being laughed at or hectored if it doesn't include ham. Otherwise, I would have recommended the ham biscuits from the Virginia Diner in Wakefield. However, seeing as how you would not bother with that, I will also recommend their peanut pie, if you partake. Very nice!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 06 Sep 2013, 10:02 am

Well, our good ol' Virginia hospitality ("Virginia is for lovers") is such that even Vegetarians, Vegans and other odd sorts can have an enjoyable meal without being laughed at or hectored if it doesn't include ham. Otherwise, I would have recommended the ham biscuits from the Virginia Diner in Wakefield. However, seeing as how you would not bother with that, I will also recommend their peanut pie, if you partake. Very nice!

I was in Smithfield NC, not Smithfield, VA, just to avoid any confusion, and I believe the Smithfield Co. is in the former. I looked up Wakefield and though it's not likely I'd be through there anytime soon, the recommendation will not be forgotten. Now if you're talking about a 'country ham' biscuit, I'm on board 110%. I grew up with that most delectable of salted yumminess and will rarely pass on it when available. There are some things I miss living in a different state (Northern Virginia) including good country ham and boiled peanuts. Where the hell can I get boiled peanuts (fresh, not canned)?!
Dignitary

Post 06 Sep 2013, 1:46 pm

SLOTerp wrote:

I was in Smithfield NC, not Smithfield, VA, just to avoid any confusion, and I believe the Smithfield Co. is in the former. I looked up Wakefield and though it's not likely I'd be through there anytime soon, the recommendation will not be forgotten. Now if you're talking about a 'country ham' biscuit, I'm on board 110%. I grew up with that most delectable of salted yumminess and will rarely pass on it when available. There are some things I miss living in a different state (Northern Virginia) including good country ham and boiled peanuts. Where the hell can I get boiled peanuts (fresh, not canned)?!

Now why didn't you say you were in NC in he first place, so I wouldn't t have to waste my valuable prose?! Of course, it's in Virginia. I even worked there in my early days of near-adulthood. But you are correct: Ham biscuits are great. I'll repeat my recommendation for the Virginia Diner. They make swell ham biscuits. I normally order a Smithfield ham every year, just to keep my cholesterol count up, of course. You're from Northern Virginia? I'm from the other end, where we consider the northern peak to be little more than a bedroom community for people who work in and around Washington.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 06 Sep 2013, 2:34 pm

georgeatkins wrote:Now why didn't you say you were in NC in he first place, so I wouldn't t have to waste my valuable prose?! Of course, it's in Virginia. I even worked there in my early days of near-adulthood. But you are correct: Ham biscuits are great. I'll repeat my recommendation for the Virginia Diner. They make swell ham biscuits. I normally order a Smithfield ham every year, just to keep my cholesterol count up, of course. You're from Northern Virginia? I'm from the other end, where we consider the northern peak to be little more than a bedroom community for people who work in and around Washington.

Told you I was living in a different state - I didn't even know Smithfield VA was the home of Smithfield the ham. There goes my ironic story...

I always enjoy taking the 'scenic route' so I'll make a point of hitting the Virginia Diner next time we head to Virginia Beach.
Dignitary

Post 07 Sep 2013, 11:12 am

Randy, I was just going to be GMing this time around. Don't have as much time to devote to the hobby as I did in the past.
Ambassador

Post 08 Sep 2013, 8:50 am

Ahoy all! Just checking in to show my face and say hello. I'm looking forward, as always, to returning to my favorite hobby of teeth gnashing and name calling.

Meanwhile, here's a link to my deviantart page, where I have some old redscape stuff collecting dust. It's not a whole lot, but for me it stirred up a little passion for getting back in the game. See y'alls on the battlefield.

http://mabbas16.deviantart.com/gallery/
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 08 Sep 2013, 9:40 am

Some great graphics, Mabbas.

For the Redscape logo, I think I like this color scheme the best:
redscape_black3_by_mabbas16.png
Dignitary

Post 09 Sep 2013, 6:23 am

Mabbas wrote:Ahoy all! Just checking in to show my face and say hello. I'm looking forward, as always, to returning to my favorite hobby of teeth gnashing and name calling.

Meanwhile, here's a link to my deviantart page, where I have some old redscape stuff collecting dust. It's not a whole lot, but for me it stirred up a little passion for getting back in the game. See y'alls on the battlefield.

http://mabbas16.deviantart.com/gallery/

Welcome back, Mabbas! And we welcome your pro-level graphic design work, as well!
Adjutant

Post 09 Sep 2013, 1:46 pm

Mabbas, you're an Oregonian? I live in Bend.
Ambassador

Post 09 Sep 2013, 5:41 pm

I love life in SE VA as a carpetbagger, and I spend my Saturday mornings in Smithfield (high school - "Home of the Packers") at rec soccer. The VA diner is OK and all, but one can get much better peanuts across the street at Plantation Peanuts.

Why is it as I look towards board assignments, I keep running into this thought, "Egads, I hope I don't get stuck with _______" and then a list of seven countries whizzes through my brain. Can I request Switzerland?
Dignitary

Post 09 Sep 2013, 6:02 pm

Crow Cabinetmaker wrote:I love life in SE VA as a carpetbagger, and I spend my Saturday mornings in Smithfield (high school - "Home of the Packers") at rec soccer. The VA diner is OK and all, but one can get much better peanuts across the street at Plantation Peanuts.

Why is it as I look towards board assignments, I keep running into this thought, "Egads, I hope I don't get stuck with _______" and then a list of seven countries whizzes through my brain. Can I request Switzerland?

Do they have a better peanut pie, as well? If so, I'll be sure to give it a try when I'm down there next time. I go to the Va Diner mostly for the ham biscuits and grab the peanut pie because it is tasty, aftter all. But I'm open for "better"!
Dignitary

Post 10 Sep 2013, 5:42 am

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:
RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:Diemo,

I need an email address from you please.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but could you guys please let the carpetbagging, Smithfield ham topic die so that I can conduct tournament business here. I need to confirm Diemo's participation, and I do not remember his email address, and Redscape's PM system is not working (for me). My only way of contacting him is hoping that he's reading this thread. So.... shut yer pie holes, please.

Why, CERTAINLY! We never realized Diemo was reading-challenged and might get befuddled by all of the informal, friendly, pre-game chatter among comrades. But if it's silence you need, why we can certainly do that. For sure, my mother didn't raise a blabber-mouth and if there is one thing I can be it is quiet. Yes, Mr Silence is one of my old nick-names, given to me by teachers in high school when, after several months, I still never responded to their calls to answer questions. My parents used to say that I was a quiet baby, as well, and they would have to hold me over a fire just to get a response from me. I was once even called up by the CIA to be a repository of secret information, since they also knew of my strong inclination to say nothing, write nothing, and mostly, do nothing. So, while I cannot speak for everybody here, much less for myself, I think I can safely say that I can certainly, immediately, and without hesitation, refrain from additional, distracting and apparently confusing dialog. Had we but known it would be an obstruction to your own capacity, I think we would have taken our witty dialog to another forum, if there was one. So, I'd just like to close out my confirmation with a short story about my first summer camp...
Ambassador

Post 10 Sep 2013, 9:33 am

Here are a few things, short and sweet:

• Diemo's email is diarmaiddeburca <AT> gmail <DOT>.com. Yeah, yeah, you're welcome :grin:

• Thanks for the art compliments. If anyone wants to use any of it for Redscape purposes, fine by me.

• Hey Ritmo, nice to see a fellow Oregonian here. Welcome! I'm in Springfield, so just down the road, over the river and through the woods.

• You've never ever really truly enjoyed Virginia peanuts until you've had 'em in soup form.
Dignitary

Post 16 Oct 2013, 4:36 pm

Hey, I finally read this :)

I'm afraid I don't really check the boards that often