Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 06 Aug 2013, 9:18 pm

The "For What It's Worth" Category

I've been on this site since 2002. I do not like automated games. The Forum is the thing. A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum, we lost our sense of how valuable the interpersonal contact is and how it enriches the game. Everybody has made good points about the other sites. Simply put, I like this best. I hope we can revive it.

Two stories to emphasize my point. I live in Florida. We get hurricanes here. In 2004, 3 separate storms hit central FL. My home took all 3 hits. As in baseball, 3 strikes and you're out. We lost the home. I was forced to drop out of PG? whatever number it was back then due to lack of internet connection, to say nothing of a roof. I received support and well wishes from around the globe. Quite a special group we had in those days. I hope we can get it back.

And as for the globe, when my daughter was 8 years old, her teacher gave her class a project. See who can receive a postcard from as far away as possible. She was excited when she was "leading" the project by getting a postcard from California, but was concerned that she'd eventually get beat out. I asked her if this was a fun project or was it for a mark. I didn't want her to cheat. "No, Dad, just for fun". I sent out a request, and postcards came flooding into her classroom: England, Belgium, Finland, Australia, and a letter from Erez on Israeli Army letterhead that scared the s*** out of the teacher. It was a strange parent teacher meeting after that.

Point is, boys, we had something special and we should be able to recapture it. I'm up for a massive recruiting drive. I'll see if my old Russian General uni still fits. Bless us one and all.
Dignitary

Post 07 Aug 2013, 3:46 am

I think that if we want to get this site moving again, we need to start a game. Just one! Lets get seven guys and a GM and get this show on the road. If scraps of coloured ribbon is a great fun game with plenty of press and laughs, then the excitement will grow.
Administrator

Post 07 Aug 2013, 7:00 am

Well, I plan to do my part real soon. I have not hosted any games for a year or so now, I just spent 6 hours designing a new map for a new Explore! game last night. All this talk is what gave me the push I needed. I am a bit of a fanatic about my maps, 6 hours in and I'm guessing it's maybe a quarter done (so I have a long ways to go, but as stated, the hope is to start after Summer winds down so that's no problem.)
Ambassador

Post 07 Aug 2013, 7:13 am

GMTom wrote:Well, I plan to do my part real soon. I have not hosted any games for a year or so now, I just spent 6 hours designing a new map for a new Explore! game last night. All this talk is what gave me the push I needed. I am a bit of a fanatic about my maps, 6 hours in and I'm guessing it's maybe a quarter done (so I have a long ways to go, but as stated, the hope is to start after Summer winds down so that's no problem.)

Looking forward to it, Tom! Love me some Explore maps.
Administrator

Post 08 Aug 2013, 7:38 am

Keep your eyes open in the next couple of weeks then...
I have the basic map design done, continents, islands and seas are mapped and detailed, all edge land and sea spaces are detailed (Wrap around north/south and east/west requires extra mapping), I have a game name and simple logo done ...game name to be "Advent of Time"

Still to do,
Finish mapping the rest (most) of the land and sea spaces, then work out placement of starting cities, location of city sites, re-work the spaces (it never works as first laid out) then detail the spaces, work each players starting map, then announce the game start, again, maybe 2 weeks or so? Things are going smoothly so far and I expect another good game!
Foreign Minister

Post 08 Aug 2013, 12:55 pm

GMTom wrote:Keep your eyes open in the next couple of weeks then...
I have the basic map design done, continents, islands and seas are mapped and detailed, all edge land and sea spaces are detailed (Wrap around north/south and east/west requires extra mapping), I have a game name and simple logo done ...game name to be "Advent of Time"

Still to do,
Finish mapping the rest (most) of the land and sea spaces, then work out placement of starting cities, location of city sites, re-work the spaces (it never works as first laid out) then detail the spaces, work each players starting map, then announce the game start, again, maybe 2 weeks or so? Things are going smoothly so far and I expect another good game!

I definitely prefer non-automated games, however, non-standard games; particularly Explore! My last attempt at Explore! was way too short as I got eliminated very early by a trio of very non-friendly neighbors.
Administrator

Post 08 Aug 2013, 12:57 pm

haha, I recall I was one of those three!
Administrator

Post 14 Aug 2013, 10:30 am

We have the following signed up:

Geezerguy
GMTom
theshrizz
King of Swords
Sendric
Georgeatkins
Darrendownunder

That is 7, and we can start the 10th of September for a Spring 1901 turn. Does that work for everyone? Please send your confirmation to me at bbauska64@yahoo.com, and we can get this started.
Emissary

Post 15 Aug 2013, 2:36 pm

Tbh I'd almost forgotten that this was a diplomacy site till Randy sent out the email about resurrecting RG. I've never left the site (unlike almost everybody), but that's mostly just because I'm one of the 8 or 9 people who still frequent the cesspit they call the politics forum from time to time. Certainly I'm up for getting back into a game or two though. PBEM games are infinitely superior to automated ones. It was the advent of OTTO that killed Redscape in my opinion. When I first signed up you had to react instantly in order to get into a game here or you missed your chance, and if you didn't already have a track record of playing in several other games then you may not be accepted into the game in any case. Obviously we can never get back to that but surely there must be a niche that can be re-established for those of us who prefer the slower pace with the personal touch, and who like to make friends with other players while they're stabbing them.
Administrator

Post 20 Aug 2013, 2:04 pm

Still waiting on two players confirmation...
Administrator

Post 20 Aug 2013, 10:59 pm

All 7 confirmed... Tomorrow my 10 year old will select countries from my cowboy hat

Please stand by...
Administrator

Post 21 Aug 2013, 7:39 am

Cowboy hat ...cool!
Cowboys hat ....oh no!
Administrator

Post 21 Aug 2013, 7:54 am

Germany Geezerguy
England GMTom
France theshrizz
Austria King of Swords
Italy Sendric
Russia Georgeatkins
Turkey Darrendownunder

Cowboys??!!!?? Seahawks, maybe. Cowboy hat, yes. Cowboys hat... Not on my life.
Ambassador

Post 21 Aug 2013, 10:20 am

GMTom wrote:Cowboy hat ...cool!
Cowboys hat ....oh no!

Well, that at least is one thing we agree on.
Dignitary

Post 21 Aug 2013, 10:31 am

Not sure my other post made it. Brad, please use this address for the game:

georgewrites AT outlook DOT com

Thanks!