Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 29 Jul 2013, 7:16 pm

Geezerguy wrote:When did you say this was starting ???

And why does it take 3 months for a game to fill up?

I miss the old days. Talk it up fellas, we need more members.

Well, let's get people signed up for Tom's Warpath variant, if we want to get something going sooner! It doesn't have a lot of play history, I believe, so it would be instructive and informative for all to give it a shot and see how it holds up, especially with birch-bark fleets.
Administrator

Post 31 Jul 2013, 8:23 am

Things used to fill up in a single day!
And the irritating part is knowing where some of the people have gone, these other sites are not that good and frankly are not as good.
Adjutant

Post 02 Aug 2013, 6:08 am

is this the historical Web Diplomacy format or PBEM for the game?
Adjutant

Post 02 Aug 2013, 6:10 am

Tom,
Alot of us went to vdiplomacy, not that bad of a site, I, ruffhaus, cypeg, Chaz, sendric and others went there when you closed us down here. I just heard you reopened today.
Dignitary

Post 02 Aug 2013, 7:26 am

DEFIANT wrote:Tom,
Alot of us went to vdiplomacy, not that bad of a site, I, ruffhaus, cypeg, Chaz, sendric and others went there when you closed us down here. I just heard you reopened today.

Defiant, let me clarify a few things for you:

The site is currently being managed by Neil Anderth and Brad Bauska. By consent, the automated page (OTTO) was shut down and Redscape now supports only forum (email) games, as originally designed. The "Redscape: Resurrection" forum (under General Topics) will give you a running history of the current process and progress.

However, the progress is a bit slow, I'll admit. But we're working on it. Some of the issues are related to lack of administration/programming experience, and money is something of an issue, too. Brad and Neal have made progress, however, and you have probably noticed that the imagery, at least, has been updated, along with several forums. And we have been - and ARE - running PBEM games, such as this one.

So if you can contact some of the other players on vDip and let them know that Redscape is alive and looking to thrive, that would be great. Nobody has to give up playing on vDip, of course. And the games here are normally the traditional one-week length with live GMs.

Of course, we are not going to have the high game rate of sites like vDip which cater to 1- and 2-day seasons; but Redscape has its own compensations, as you know. In any event, please feel free to participate in the Resurrection Forum with ideas, suggestions, etc. If you want to GM a game (standard or variant), you are welcome to do so. Contact Brad or Neil. Redscape's growth depends upon participation, so I hope you have enough good feelings for Redscape to partcipate!
George
Adjutant

Post 02 Aug 2013, 8:10 am

Thank you George,
That is the explanation I was looking for, I will certainly tell players I know at vdip about redscape.
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2013, 2:35 pm

Not that I have the authority, but I hereby appoint you Public Relations Director.
That was awesome !!! Here's to our contunued, and hopefully rapid growth. :yes:
Dignitary

Post 02 Aug 2013, 7:41 pm

OK, Fellas... It seems like years since I've played and I'm willing to take my wheel chair out for a spin. I'll play.

Darren Downunder
darrenk_au at yahoo dot co dot uk

Preferences.... I'd like to be one of those countries where I get to wear a funny hat. :yes:
Administrator

Post 04 Aug 2013, 7:38 pm

outages have been few and minor (a few hours if we had any). Dropping Otto simply brings us back to our roots to what we do best and what we can offer that is different from others...human managed games and in some cases, human adjudicated and drawn maps. I know we have done a LOT of unique variants here (heck VDip hosts my WW4 game a LOT (though they still credit someone else even after asking them repeatedly to correct that) We do hope to boost our numbers again and get back to what we had done so well for so long.
Administrator

Post 05 Aug 2013, 10:47 am

haha, I think Ruffhaus was more critical of other sites than myself!? I have no problem with other sites in the least and understand players can and do play on multiple sites. That's cool, each site has it's unique flavor and has it's fans. I too am on Vdip (though have never played there, well maybe one game or two but I'm not real sure), I only have a problem with them crediting my game incorrectly even after being notified several times but they do all right. I am simply no fan of automated games and pointed out how we here are quite ANTI automation (with the demise of OTTO). We are getting back to where we had our unique niche.

Maybe the prolonged outages were back in the transition days, I was on a self imposed break at that time so any outages would not be noticed by myself. But I have been back for quite some time now and outages have been few for that time. Yes we have down time here and there but these have been minimal as I had stated but then again, I was gone for a while and maybe you were correct about it being a problem in the early stages and yes, that sort of thing will run people off quickly!

I am absolutely not trying to "steal" anyone from any other web site, I would however like others to mention Redscape as another alternative and let them know all are welcome. They may like Redscape better ...great! They may like their other site better ...great as well! As long as they stop in and help us resurrect ourselves. It takes players poking around to make us grow and get better and that is taking some time.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 05 Aug 2013, 4:22 pm

Randy,
Willing to GM if you need one. Willing to have a beer with you whether either of us need one. Should have some availability over the next month.

Mike
Dignitary

Post 05 Aug 2013, 8:06 pm

If it takes a tourney, than I'm fine with that, too!
Dignitary

Post 06 Aug 2013, 8:22 am

SO... don't we have enough players now to start this game?
Administrator

Post 06 Aug 2013, 8:52 am

on topic,
This game was announced to start in early September so if we do have enough players, my guess (I'm not the GM bit rather a player in this game) is we will not get started for a few weeks?

the off topic stuff,
I would love to see people flock back to Redscape and Randy mentions a real nice situation. While people are of course free to go where they want and play where they want, some tend to think very territorial. Our unique position of being completely non-automated makes us less "threatening" to other sites and we have always been open to players from other sites coming and going as they please. Any who do play here are welcome and our position should be non-threatening to these other sites, I tend to think of them as sister-sites, all one happy family if you will. (though some do NOT think that way I know)

Myself, I am planning to start a new game of Explore! in the near future. I will post the opening when I get around to it but likely in a month or two when Summer winds itself down. That usually grabs a LOT of interest and I would just LOVE to set aside at least several spots for new players to the game, if Randy wants to advise some on VDip of this, be my guest. Speaking of them, I had someone there ask me all about the game maybe a year ago or so? Nothing came from that to my knowledge, but any site willing to host it is cool by me and I would be more than happy to share anything they want. Oh, and Chad (yes THE Chad) is working on trying to automate the game, we have talked quite a bit about it and he is not quite done but he did get quite a ways so far!!!
Dignitary

Post 06 Aug 2013, 3:25 pm

Thanks for the September reminder, Tom. Leaky gray matter.