Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 22 Feb 2013, 7:37 am

If Alpha doesn't mind me jumping in here....No, Tom. Programs like jDip and RealPolitik are often used by players to create orders, plan strategies and keep historical records of the game without having to manually fill-out paper maps the old-fashioned way. GMs often use these programs to help adjudicate orders (as you know), though I'm sure many/most GMs also go through the results to look for errors. And the programs also provide maps to show the moves and the results. As a player, you don't have to use any special order format, other than the commonly-accepted Dip format. Alpha can manually key in the orders or import them directly.
Administrator

Post 22 Feb 2013, 8:42 am

as expected, I just have not heard the Jdip term and wanted to make extra certain. I just can't figure out these things, oh, I tried! It confused the crap out of me, so instead of using the program, I would judge by hand and to help make up for errors, I would be extra responsive and try to make my maps extra special as well. (little touches added to the individual game).
FYI, what is the game name to be? c'mon Alpha, give us a cool or funny name we can remember (haha, I had one game I simply named "vanilla" since it was a vanilla version of one of my variants)

edit...ahh, I see "The Advent of Re-written History", ok, I can dig that!
Ambassador

Post 23 Feb 2013, 3:32 pm

Alpha wrote:bbauska, these are the confirmed players:
Archduke Russell John
King of Swords
GMTom
Kal
georgeatkins
TheManInBlack
Sendric
freeman2

Doctor Fate, still interested in playing? If so, please supply your email address.

George, I will be posting maps for each season detailing both orders and resolved movements.

I haven't tried to install it yet. But, sure--I trust you to help me. :yes:

tms steve (one word)

of

Geeeeee-male. ;)
Dignitary

Post 23 Feb 2013, 8:31 pm

Looks like we have game!
Dignitary

Post 25 Feb 2013, 4:47 pm

So, Alpha, we ready to roll or not?
Adjutant

Post 27 Feb 2013, 7:48 pm

Yes we are! Sorry about the short delay. I was on a vacation with very limited connectivity time allowed... :sour:
Ambassador

Post 28 Feb 2013, 3:31 pm

Alpha wrote:Sure! I did find out that jDip's Aberration map is slightly flawed. If you look at the light-blue (Hungary) player you'll notice that their ship is not on a SC. That province is not correctly marked/configured to be a SC. Because of that, I'll be booting into windows to be able to use Realpolitik. If you have any OS older that OSX Lion (10.7) you can install Realpolitik natively: http://sourceforge.net/projects/realpolitik/?source=dlp

If you'd still like to install jDip: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jdip/?source=dlp

This will install a java file called jdip-1.7.0-preview-1-installer.jar. Open this file to start the installation. You'll want to agree with most of the defaults. I personally don't install shortcuts to desktop, but that's just me. Once it's installed, go to /Applications/jDip and click on jdip.jar. Let me know if you have any problems.

Okay, it's "installed" and I found the jdip.jar file. However, when I click on it, it opens JDip, but it's completely blank. Help!
Ambassador

Post 28 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

Wo-ah! Fooled myself! I think I've got it working! This is kinda exciting!