Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 09 Feb 2013, 1:10 pm

Hello all,

I would like to GM an Aberration V forum game. This is a 9-player variant. Please let me know if anyone is willing to play. I'd like to get started as soon as 9 players have expressed their interested.

A few clarification points...

1. Since updating to Lion, Realpolitik no longer functions properly in OS X. I will be using jDip.
2. The countries would be randomly selected for each player. I will be using very fancy pieces of paper and two hats to determine this.
3. This will be a weekly game. The turnaround for retreats and builds will be 1 day for each (standard fare).
4. I will always send a return email noting that I have received your orders.
5. I will always try to send out a 24 hour email notice on Monday nights. (I may automate this just to be safe).
6. I will not adjudicate a turn early unless EVERY player has marked their orders as "Final". Adjustments can be sent up until either the regular adjudication time or until the forum has been updated. The regular adjudication time will likely be 11pm depending upon the day.
7. I will always take the latest set of orders. I will not combine two sets of orders to make a "complete set". For example, second email forgets to order a unit, that unit will hold even if it was supplied an order in a previous email.

The finalized schedule can be agreed upon after the 9 players have let me know their preferences. I will certainly try to cater to the maximum amount of players without absolutely inconveniencing myself. Currently I would prefer a Tuesday (moves)/ Wednesday (retreats or builds if no retreats)/Thursday (builds if retreats) schedule.

Once a forum has been set up, I'll post the starting maps, game information, player assignments, and send out an email letting everyone know when the first moves will be expected. This will likely be a week or so after the forum is all set.

:eek: I hope this didn't scare everyone away... Join my game, it'll be fun! (I make no promises on whether or not the game will be fun since I cannot control that aspect. You make your own destiny in that regards.)

Please let me know if you have any questions that I could answer that were not covered here. Thanks.

- Alpha
Dignitary

Post 09 Feb 2013, 1:21 pm

I am interested. Archducrj1 at AOL dot COM.

I am familiar with Aberration but have never played it. Do you have a link to the Aberration V rules and map?
Adjutant

Post 09 Feb 2013, 1:42 pm

Although the rules discuss a judge, I will be manually GMing the game via jDip.

Here is the Spring 1901 map with the province names removed. Before the first turn, I'll post the map with province names in the game's forum.

Aberration V-Units.png
Aberration V Map
Ambassador

Post 10 Feb 2013, 2:37 pm

I've been intrigued by this variant for quite a while, but I've never played it. Please sign me up: bobkirk <at> mybluelight <dot> com.
Administrator

Post 11 Feb 2013, 9:58 am

Looks like I am going to end my self imposed time off!
Sign me up
please use my
explorediplomacy (at) gmail (dot) com
address for this game.

and the hats to be used for power selection, I think it's important to know what kind of hats we are talking about?
a baseball cap (and if so, what teams)?
a fedora? (not sure I wanna play anymore?)
a magicians top hat (a truly magical game, how cool is that?)
...inquiring minds need to know!

fyi, to those wondering what this game is about,
I also have never played but enjoy the "what-if" history it represents (very interesting alternate history "stuff")
http://www.variantbank.org/results/rule ... ation5.htm
...also a nice reference map there if you care to see the space names beforehand
Adjutant

Post 11 Feb 2013, 4:30 pm

GMTom is playing in my game! :uhoh: Talk about pressure in doing an awesome GM job... although I always planned on doing the best job I could.

As for the hats... the countries will be pulled from a Boston Red Sox cap. This hat is the standard blue (though worn) with the Red Sox logo instead of the red "B". The players will be chosen from a grey newsboy cap. Here's an image of me (I wish) wearing one.

I'm eager to start! I hope 6 more sign up soon.
Adjutant

Post 11 Feb 2013, 8:49 pm

One correction from my original post. I stated that I would be using jDip to adjudicate the turns, however, this will no longer be the case. I realized that the Aberration V map in jDip is incorrect since the province Zara (Hungary's home SC and starting fleet) is not even an SC on that map. Instead of trying to wrestle with this, I'll be booting into Windows and using Realpolitik there to adjudicate each turn. I have verified that the Realpolitik map is not missing any inconsistencies like that.
Administrator

Post 12 Feb 2013, 6:43 am

the Redsox? ...instead of dropping out, may I request our names be put in the grey cap?
the Redsox, eeegads man, this is off to a bad start!? ;-)
Ambassador

Post 12 Feb 2013, 8:20 am

I can't turn this down. I love love love Aberration V. kalvin(dot)miller(at)gmail(dot)com. I've been playing variants at vDip but this is probably my favorite Europe variant and it's not available for the webdip platform.
Adjutant

Post 12 Feb 2013, 3:25 pm

Well... I do live in Boston. No worries though, I was going to use that cap for the countries.

Kal, Aberration is actually the first game I ever played on Redscape. I was a Poland replacement player that only lasted about 2-3 years before Ukraine finished wiping me off the map.
Dignitary

Post 13 Feb 2013, 6:46 am

Sign me up, too! Use email: mndipper AT yahoo DOT com.

George
Emissary

Post 18 Feb 2013, 6:17 pm

Is this game still open? I would like to play

srtedesco at gmail dot com
Dignitary

Post 18 Feb 2013, 7:07 pm

If I count right (always a gamble), we only need 3 more players!
Adjutant

Post 18 Feb 2013, 9:15 pm

Yes it is! As mentioned, we're still looking for 3 more players.
Administrator

Post 19 Feb 2013, 12:42 pm

No hurries on my end, we start when we start.
If it helps, I would be more than happy to volunteer to play whatever power is assigned to me as well as the extra 3 we are waiting for. Yes, it is a gracious gesture, I'm just willing to do my part to help out. (I'm pretty wonderful that way)