Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 09 Oct 2015, 8:43 am

This is way premature but I've had some thoughts on tracks for season 3 and I don't want to lose them to impaired memory.

I'd like to move the series to the U.S. but Doug doesn't have many US tracks (CoA) unless you add in the AH tracks. Those, unfortunately, would probably need modification for 12 car fields. On a positive note, there are some other tracks out there that look promising. Here are the tracks I would select at this early stage:

Circuit of the Americas (Austin, TX) http://lucidphoenix.com/sc/tracks/cota.pdf
Created by Doug Schulz

Barber Motorsports Park (Birmingham, AL)
Created by Phil Lewis

Barber.png

Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Lexington, OH)
Created by Charlie Heckman

Mid-Ohio.png

We've got loads of time on this for input.
Ambassador

Post 11 Oct 2015, 12:51 pm

What's with the weird and apparently optional swerve in the Mid-Ohio track?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 13 Oct 2015, 5:55 am

Kal wrote:What's with the weird and apparently optional swerve in the Mid-Ohio track?

From what I can gather, the chicane was part of the original course. The straight section was added later though I think both set-ups are still used.

As for what we would use: I think the course has enough corners without the chicane. However, I'm not wedded to it, so if drivers want it...
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 03 Nov 2015, 5:11 pm

I'm good with these three. I found the timing traps for Mid-Ohio but so far no joy for Barber. I'll keep looking but if anyone else finds them first I'd be real happy.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 07 Nov 2015, 8:20 am

At Mid-Ohio in the corner after the optional chicane, is that two separate racing lines? It looks like an arrowhead in the second 80mph space.
Ambassador

Post 07 Nov 2015, 8:09 pm

JimOrlando wrote:At Mid-Ohio in the corner after the optional chicane, is that two separate racing lines? It looks like an arrowhead in the second 80mph space.

My thought is yes, since that row lines up in both lanes, you could take the first lane and then skip out mid-corner to the outside if necessary.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 09 Nov 2015, 11:05 am

Here is the answer I received regards the racing lines from the track developer. Comments welcome regards the following questions & issues:

1. One line or two in the 'Keyhole' corner (that's the name of corner 2)?
2. Chicane or straight in the run-up to the Keyhole?

I haven't looked at the rolling start rules but that might be a fun twist for a race.

Funny answer: both. The track was a bit of a joint effort and we played it both ways (not in the same race!) as one long arrow or two. I would go with a pre-series consensus discussion. Note also, that if you play the chicane before the corner, the arrow (or the first arrow, depending on how you play it...) begins in the chicane instead of the straight. I have a version of this somewhere with tire walls blocking off the straight to force traffic through the chicane.

I don't have much time to participate, but I will float an offer: If you give me enough lead time, I'd be glad to build a track for your series, if there is a course that everyone is aching to drive. Your league members can discuss and rate the corners as they see fit.

In addition to those I have made available here on the Geek (see the files section): Philly, Mid Ohio, Barber, Laguna Seca, Long Beach and St Petersberg, I've also done many other older tracks from the Golden Age of Trans Am racing: 1968-1972.

Also, if you haven't checked it out before, look at the Alternate Start Method: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/41775/alternate-start-method-article

Makes for (I think) a more interesting start to the races!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 09 Nov 2015, 4:30 pm

That start method looks quite interesting. Although in Istanbul I started in row 4 and finished 2nd, I needed a little help from other drivers and dice to pull it off. Maybe a quick 1 or 2 lap exhibition to test it out? I'd volunteer to RM it with a little basic training.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 09 Nov 2015, 5:04 pm

Great idea, Jim. I encourage anyone and everyone to run experiments here. Pick a track, set a goal for the field size, and then I'll help you recruit the drivers and set you up with a forum. Filling these one-off races shouldn't be problematic.

Track selection
Doug's tracks are good for large fields. Here's the link: http://lucidphoenix.com/sc/tracks/

There are also many tracks posted at BGG where I found Barber & mid-Ohio. Also at BGG, you'll find all the old AH accessory packs. These tend to be narrower and better for small fields. There are pictures of the tracks but they should be convertible to other formats.

Stewarding a race
I record plots in a spreadsheet then create the tracks in Photoshop. However, Kal has developed a system whereby he does everything, including graphics, in Excel. He has distributed it to all of Doug's new RM's and I think it's been working really well for them. Drop him a note and I'm sure he would share what he's done with you (and some basic instruction). I'm guessing that given your predilection for playing with numbers, you could probably make it even better. I'd send it to you but I don't really keep up with the advances being made.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 08 Dec 2015, 10:40 pm

Yay stuff. I would probably have to look if I can find the map file, and I don't know if it fits what you want but I know of an old track that Robert Latorre made for the Nascar Variation of the GrandPrixCision Racing program for Sears Point/Sonama/Infineon.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 09 Dec 2015, 5:08 pm

Still looking around for your track, William.

In the meantime, here's a few more that were posted at BGG. They are both hypothetical but I'd say the Blue Crab has potential for a league race. SAC looks too short. Both created by Phil Lewis.

Gotta work on file size, though. I'm gonna burn through Brad's storage.
BlueCrab.png
SAC.png
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 10 Dec 2015, 2:05 pm

Doug also offered up two old AH tracks as possibilities.

Long Beach

Watkins Glen
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 10 Dec 2015, 4:01 pm

I'll shoot you a copy of it from the game tonight. I realized looking it's a 3-lane Speedway so I don't think it's really what we're looking for(or makes that much sense with how Indy/Stock Cars run as stuff like Turn 11 and the S Turns defiantly aren't that wide.)

Edit here is what I'm talking about: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rti5ko66d6mw5 ... t.gif?dl=0 there are actually also a collection of ovals, but that would probably need to be something different XP