Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 15 Aug 2015, 6:16 pm

Over the past 18 months I've discovered that I really like the play and theme of our Speed Circuit league. I would like to expand upon that with other racing games but the only real competition out there for the past decade or so was Formula De, of which I've heard mixed reviews. Lately, however, I've been seeing two new racing games mentioned and I'm quite curious if any of you have come across them and have an opinion:

Thunder Alley

Race! Formula 90

I'm not looking to play these here via PBEM (the mechanics don't seem like a good fit), but rather to play them with my kids, on Vassal, or at cons*. The first game is a NASCAR theme where you control a team of cars instead of just one. I believe a game of up to 7 players can have over 20 cars on the track - cool! I didn't look as closely at Race! but given the name & graphics, it's obviously open wheel racing. I'm asking this crowd since you, like me, obviously enjoy Speed Circuit and thus might have a similar perspective.

*Speaking of cons, check this thread for an upcoming one in Maryland. Doug is GM'ing Speed Circuit and I think Thunder Alley will be played as well. I intend on being there.
Administrator

Post 15 Aug 2015, 8:46 pm

I am trying to design a PBEM version of car wars. Great game from the 80s by Steve Jackson.

http://www.sjgames.com/car-wars/games/classic/
Dirt Track Racer (Pro I)

Post 26 Sep 2015, 3:27 am

Don't know about RF90 but Thunder Alley plays very well by email(vassal and dropbox). As long as the drivers don't take forever to make their moves. Each player makes their individual move as opposed to everyone plotting their move.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 05 Oct 2015, 5:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Joe. I've got Thunder Alley on my Amazon wish list. I'm not ready to drop $50 quite yet but if a family member wants to...
Dirt Track Racer (Pro I)

Post 06 Oct 2015, 11:53 am

I have the game, so if you or anyone else is interested in trying a vassal pbem game just let me know.