Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 10 Jan 2015, 12:28 pm

In case you haven't already see this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSYEoP0j63c

It's got little cars, dice rolling, and gear shifting.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 05 Mar 2015, 12:18 am

Formula De(as it was originally called) was my first real venture into racing board games(Outside of Mille Bornes), and with the many boards I own of it, has a special place in my heart ^^. It's definitly different from what else is out there, tho really there are very few racing board games that are really alike(unless your talking about the silly bet racers)
Amateur

Post 22 May 2017, 4:20 pm

It is surely different than the game we play here on redscape!
There is different drivers that you can pick, and they have different skills and car builds.
It, in my opinion is a lot easier and less in depth.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 31 May 2017, 9:55 am

I wouldn't say it's less "In Depth". After all you can build your own cars based on points and such. It is a little more random due to variants in gears and collisions and engine rolls, but it's still alot fo strategy with things like gear placement and corner movement, and when to risk overshooting.
Rally Racer (Pro III)

Post 02 Jun 2017, 2:50 pm

WilliamK wrote:I wouldn't say it's less "In Depth". After all you can build your own cars based on points and such. It is a little more random due to variants in gears and collisions and engine rolls, but it's still alot fo strategy with things like gear placement and corner movement, and when to risk overshooting.

Yeah. I agree. Up front, I don't have much experience with CFR (yet!), but I do have a fair bit of play under my belt for Formula D.

A lot of people mistake Formula D for a complete luck-fest. I think this is wrong. Make no mistake - In the end, the better player in Formula D will win more often than not. However, the planning is more tilted in the realms of risk management/push your luck, and analysing probabilties.

I feel that Formula D has a lot of risk management and push your luck elements. When you assign points, you can go heavy on some of the "disposables" like tires/brakes that you'll use throughout the race, but it comes at the expense of safety buffer points in items like "body" and "handling", which takes you out of the race should you run out of them. So push your luck starts with your build. (to some degree it happens in CFR too, with wears and skill points, but not to the same extent).

Similarly, when you're racing, you've got to plan for mitigating poor dice rolls. There's usually a cautious/measured gear you can select versus something more radical/push your luck. When you choose poorly, or a dice roll punishes you, you've got to use those build points in brakes/tires/gear to pull yourself out of the fire, but those are a limited resource. Then after you're out of those, you should drive more cautiously, or... well, pushing your luck can end your race.

I think CFR will be different in that your planning begins as a static notion of where you're capable of going, given the parameters of your car and the track. But then you've got to take it deeper into the real meat of your planning that is based on a different dimension - and this gets us to the main difference between the games. I think the key difference between the games is that one has sequential turn selection (gear) and the other has nearly simultaneous turns (speed reveal). And because of this particular element, simultaneous turns in CFR/SC, your deeper planning is based on the anticipation of what other players are going to do - because they are going to mess up your basic plan. There's luck you can elect to take in CFR (and skill to mitigate it), but overall, if you go the luck route, it seems to be far more harsh and unforgiving than Formula D.

That's my take for now, and I'll gladly reformulate as a I get a better feel for CFR over the coming months. Feel free to criticize/clarify/disagree.
Amateur

Post 17 Jul 2017, 9:32 am

Well, the track is a lot easier in my opinion than CFR. I love both and have both.

It depends on what mood I am.
I probably think it is less ''In Depth" because I have never played the advanced mode
CFR is, pound for pound, more challenging than Formula D.
I usually win at Formula D,I usually do horrendously at CFR.
Administrator

Post 17 Jul 2017, 9:45 am

Sir Gatlin wrote:Well, the track is a lot easier in my opinion than CFR. I love both and have both.

It depends on what mood I am.
I probably think it is less ''In Depth" because I have never played the advanced mode
CFR is, pound for pound, more challenging than Formula D.
I usually win at Formula D,I usually do horrendously at CFR.

I can vouch for his lucky dice rolls in Formula D...
Amateur

Post 19 Jul 2017, 10:38 am

Tee hee hee! :grin:
Amateur

Post 19 Jul 2017, 10:40 am

You also have to think farther ahead in CFR than Formula D
Administrator

Post 19 Jul 2017, 11:06 am

Sir Gatlin wrote:You also have to think farther ahead in CFR than Formula D

I believe we found the problem with your driving in CFR... :razz:
Amateur

Post 19 Jul 2017, 6:02 pm