Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 09 Apr 2014, 11:07 am

The test lap should be complete around April 23rd. The inaugural Redscape Grand Prix will begin shortly thereafter so get in on the fun!

There are some things that need hashing out before we start so if you've got an opinion, let me know.

1) The Grand Prix will consist of three circuits with three laps on each course. Which three circuits should we select? I'm thinking choose by continent (i.e. South/Central American, North American, Europe, Asian, etc..) but am open to whatever. DONE

AH Tracks: http://lucidphoenix.com/sc/tracks/avalonhillIndex.asp
Doug's Tracks: http://lucidphoenix.com/sc/tracks/currentIndex.asp

2) Which additional rules should we use? I like the idea of pit stops but I think some of the tire rules I've seen are too much. Weather is waaaay out there an we're no where ready for that! DONE

3) Number of drivers? I'd like to shoot for ten.

If you'd like to participate, post below or email me at ~ mpolcen ~ at ~ verizon ~ dot ~ net.

Interested Drivers * Confirmed via email
Mike*
Kal*
Brad*
Fabio*
Cosmo*
Chris*
Todd*
Dave*
Meng
Ambassador

Post 09 Apr 2014, 11:44 am

I'm in, and I like the idea of a sticking to a continent. With that in mind, here are my track suggestions (all from Doug's tracks):

Monza
Silverstone, pre-2010
Spa-Francorchamps

The original Monza track would be a nice first race, but only if we get a big turnout.

As far as optional rules, I think we hold off on Pitting & Weather for the first time, unless Dave is strongly in favor of pit rules. :-P
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 10 Apr 2014, 11:29 am

A comment from Chris, an interested driver at BGG:

I would definitely be interested, although looking at your proposed track list is a little scary. All three of the suggested tracks are very similar. I tend to find that it's better to vary the track types a little to accommodate different styles of drivers.

I'd be inclined to replace Spa or Monza with Monaco or Catalunya. That way you have a more balanced race list while still maintaining your continental theme.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 10 Apr 2014, 12:16 pm

Here's the link to Catalunya, btw: http://lucidphoenix.com/sc/tracks/Catalunya.pdf

Of course we're doing Monaco now - see the test lap.
Ambassador

Post 10 Apr 2014, 12:18 pm

SLOTerp wrote:A comment from Chris, an interested driver at BGG:

I would definitely be interested, although looking at your proposed track list is a little scary. All three of the suggested tracks are very similar. I tend to find that it's better to vary the track types a little to accommodate different styles of drivers.

I'd be inclined to replace Spa or Monza with Monaco or Catalunya. That way you have a more balanced race list while still maintaining your continental theme.

I like this idea - I'd suggest Catalunya since we're doing Monaco in the Test Lap. I was going for tracks with long-ish straightaways and a mix of turns, but I don't have any experience beyond Monaco. These looked interesting to me, but it's with an admittedly untrained eye.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 11 Apr 2014, 6:15 am

Agreed. That gives us:

Silverstone, pre-2010
Catalunya
Monza or Spa

Things left to do:

Decide on options. I'm with Kal on withholding options for the first race. I'd like to see how Doug's play-testing on pits works out before we bring it in here. The others are too much, especially with the newbies in the game.

Finalize the order template. I'll be doing this over the next week - the standardization of orders will be most helpful to me in running the race. By the way, Kal turned in a picture perfect set of conditional orders which I will publish following the turn 7 adjudication.

Finding a drop-box for my orders that can time verified by a 3rd party. I think Dave offered to act as such if he chooses not to play in the Grand Prix. My participation in the game (hey, I want to have fun too!) must not compromise the integrity of the adjudications.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 12 Apr 2014, 6:46 am

I looked over Spa and Monza. The Belgian track looks more interesting to me so unless anyone has objections, the tracks will be:

Silverstone, circa 2009 (Great Britain)
Catalunya, circa 2008 (Spain)
Spa - Francorchamps, circa 2008 (Belgium)
Administrator

Post 12 Apr 2014, 7:51 am

SLOTerp wrote:I looked over Spa and Monza. The Belgian track looks more interesting to me so unless anyone has objections, the tracks will be:

Silverstone, circa 2009 (Great Britain)
Catalunya, circa 2008 (Spain)
Spa - Francorchamps, circa 2008 (Belgium)

Good by me.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 12 Apr 2014, 8:00 pm

The next thing on my 'to do' list is a formalization of plots for NPR's (No Plot Received). Adjudications will be done on time and if plots are not received the cars will be subject to an RM plot (autopilot).

RM plots will be based on the assumptions that NPR's should be penalized (though driven safely) and that the car should NEVER be advantaged by virtue of 'knowing' what transpired in front of it. These guidelines are more explicit than Doug's rules and in terms of wear/skill usage, in direct opposition.

Proposed RM plot guidelines for NPR's

1) Speed will increase by a maximum of 20 mph based on the track ahead. This is subject to the car being able to safely decelerate to a safe speed in the event a corner is coming up in the following turn. Safe deceleration is assumed to be 20 mph regardless of what the actual car's deceleration is.
2) The RM plot will NOT consider what actually happens on the track. For example, if rule #1 dictates a speed of 100 mph and the track is blocked five spaces ahead after other cars have moved, the car will still plot 100 and be forced to emergency brake to 80 mph.
3) Corners will be traversed at the greatest available speed. The racing line will never be used.
4) Lane preference will be outside.
5) Use of wear points will be avoided if possible but will be used when the alternative is a dice roll.
6) Skill points will never be applied to dice rolls.
7) No slipstreaming. No passing. No blocking.

Don't fall asleep at the wheel!

Having said all that, reasonable deadline extensions are always considered by the RM. We could also look to have a pool of back-up drivers for vacations and the such.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 14 Apr 2014, 4:14 pm

Race points. I suggest we use the F1 system:

1st : 25 points
2nd : 18 points
3rd : 15 points
4th : 12 points
5th : 10 points
6th : 8 points
7th : 6 points
8th : 4 points
9th : 2 points
10th : 1 point

Total points leader after three races wins the Grand Prix.

If this gets to the point where we run a second league, we could do relegation and advancement with the bottom two in RS1 switching places with the top two in RS2 (yes, I just implicitly gave the leagues names).
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 15 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm

Dan (current lap tester but not driving in the Grand Prix) has agreed to act as a repository for my plots. After I submit my plot to Dan (within one hour of adjudication), I'll notify the drivers that my orders are locked in.
Amateur

Post 15 Apr 2014, 6:48 pm

Definitely looking forward to the 1st race!
Ambassador

Post 15 Apr 2014, 7:29 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Race points. I suggest we use the F1 system:

1st : 25 points
2nd : 18 points
3rd : 15 points
4th : 12 points
5th : 10 points
6th : 8 points
7th : 6 points
8th : 4 points
9th : 2 points
10th : 1 point

Total points leader after three races wins the Grand Prix.

If this gets to the point where we run a second league, we could do relegation and advancement with the bottom two in RS1 switching places with the top two in RS2 (yes, I just implicitly gave the leagues names).

In the event that we do have higher demand and want to run 12 cars, do 11th & 12th places get 0 points?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Apr 2014, 4:29 am

Correct.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Apr 2014, 1:27 pm

If anyone is doing advanced research on car builds, I plan on running the races in the order listed above. Silverstone will go first, followed by the shorter Catalunya, and ending with what looks to be some wide open racing at Spa.

You will create a separate build for each race.