Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 20 Mar 2014, 7:47 pm

Most of the stuff in this thread pertaining to rules has been consolidated by Kal and I into a single document. If you are playing, I suggest you put the google doc address into your favorites for quick reference.

Redscape Grand Prix Rules

This information is to help you get started on understanding a fairly simple and fun multi-player game. The boardgame was last published by Avalon Hill in the late 1970's. The rules from that game still form the foundation of what is played here.

The object of the game is to win a race in an F1 style race car. Doing that requires the following:

1) Build a car. You are allotted points that can be put towards categories that include top speed, start speed, acceleration, deceleration, and 'wear points' (used up when your car exceeds its capabilities). A sixth category, Skill Points, has been added by the WBC (World Boardgaming Championship) which we will use here as well.

2) Race. Every turn you will determine your speed & plot a course on the track. This is done simultaneously with the other racers. The car in front (with some tiebreakers if necessary) will move first, followed by the rest. In the PBEM game, all players will send their plots to the GM for adjudication, a slightly different process than the live version. There are special rules for slipstreaming, passing, and blocking. And of course there is always the potential for crashes!

3) Win. First car across the finish line wins. Simple as that.

Here is a link to the 1977 AH ruleset.. Look these over to get a sense of how the game flows.

Here are the WBC rules that have been modified for PBEM. A special thanks to Doug Schulz for publishing these rules.

Doug's amazing repertoire of track maps.

PBEM Ordering Rules

Before the race begins:

1. Drivers must submit an email with their car builds. The WBC ruleset is used (2 points to spend).
2. Submit a bid for starting position. Bids are in wear & skill points (1 wear = 2 skill) with no min / max bid. Dice roll breaks ties.

Plotting your race car:

I've developed a standard order template, attached below. There are three sections:

1. Race plot which includes speed, lane selection, etc...
2. Choose how to deal with emergency braking & cornering.
3. How many driver skill points to apply to possible dice rolls.

In some instances you may wish to create several conditional plots based on what happens in front of you. If you are specific in your desires this is fine as long as your speed is always the same!

I will add to and/or amend this page as needed.

If you are interested in racing, post below or send an email to mpolcen ~at~ verizon ~dot~ net. Have fun!

Relevant Charts & Order Template
Build.gif
Charts.gif
Administrator

Post 20 Mar 2014, 7:50 pm

Will you be RMing? (Race Moderating)
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 20 Mar 2014, 8:03 pm

Yes, and in the test lap I'll be both RM'ing (nice term) and playing. If this thing actually takes off and a circuit it run, I'll have to think about how I could do that and maintain trust - maybe send my new orders to an impartial 3rd party immediately after a turn is posted.
Administrator

Post 24 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm

While I will not be playing, I love bringing new ideas to the site and hope it takes off! I will follow along and maybe take part in the next game, this is just too foreign to me at this time, I'm a bit lost reading the rules and just don't "get it".
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 24 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm

Thanks Tom, hope to see you play when the circuit starts.

To everyone involved: I encourage you to submit ideas on how to improve the game. I've noticed there are other rules out on the internets that use variations such as pit stops, tire selection, and such. If all goes well this project will continue to evolve as it matches our preferences.

I've added the racing charts above for convenience.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 03 Apr 2014, 7:54 pm

Added an order template above with example. Looks more complex than it is. The essential orders are in the first section, with the remainder primarily used for track events.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 12 Apr 2014, 6:13 pm

I updated the order template to show the possibility of running two corners in the same turn.

A point of clarification on the lane selection: This only applies to the lane you wish to end up in (I relabeled it as well).
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 12 Apr 2014, 6:19 pm

One more thing...

Some corners have multiple racing lines. Please be sure to include which racing line you're using when there is a choice. Turn 7 in the test lap is one such corner.

This will apply to both the end lane order and the corner itself. For example, if you wish to set up for the racing line going through the 80 mph lane, the 'end lane' order should read R80 followed by your 2nd preference and so on.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Apr 2014, 6:01 pm

I erred on car builds for the test lap. The 1 skill point token level is for three laps, not one. For one lap, the sp's should only be 1/3 of the ones on the chart. I made the correction on the above chart.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 04 Sep 2014, 5:44 am

Our rules say nothing about collusion. This should probably be addressed since there is no current prohibition on contacting one another on an individual basis. With the larger field and the fact that many of us are Diplomacy players in which collusion is part of the game, how do you suggest we handle it?

Here are some options:

1) Hey, this is a Diplomacy website and the game should reflect Redscape's ideals. Anything goes. Well, except directly running two cars - just like you can't control two powers in Dip.

2) Collusion does not belong in this game and needs to be penalized if caught.

I really don't see any middle ground. Of course enforcement is virtually impossible with #2 (unless someone accidently hits 'CC all') but just laying it out there should suffice. I have to assume that none of you are cheats.

The purpose of this is not to address any behavior currently or in the past. I am merely trying to set expectations. Also, since this is only the 2nd race at Redscape, we have the opportunity to influence the future of Speed Circuit at the site before we get locked into our ways. I'm open to rules changes and experimentation including the running of concurrent variants. Having Kal ready to RM a race (right, Kal?) opens up some possibilities. Speaking of which, if anyone here wishes to try their hand at RMing let me know and I can assist in the endeavor.
Administrator

Post 04 Sep 2014, 8:38 am

As to Collusion, Cody and I are in the same office. I am only there to assist him in the orders logistics, but not his plans. Please let us know if there are any concerns.

Thus endeth the disclosure statement.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 04 Sep 2014, 9:28 am

I'm not concerned about you two - I've bugged your of... er, I mean, I implicitly trust you. Besides, isn't that like the blind leading the blind? :wink:
Administrator

Post 04 Sep 2014, 10:54 am

Here I thought the "Blind leading the blind" was Cody and you leading the world cup fantasy league...
Ambassador

Post 04 Sep 2014, 5:02 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Having Kal ready to RM a race (right, Kal?) opens up some possibilities.

Ready is such a strong word. I am interested, but the timing in the near term is pretty poor.

Regarding the original topic: I think collusion should be discouraged in the Redscape Grand Prix. Like you said, it can't be enforced, but should be an "on my honor" type of thing.

You know in NASCAR the crews are in contact with other crews, and you see drivers work together for drafts, etc who are not on the same "team". I would like to think this is an informal, and largely unspoken "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" opportunity, and I think this would be fine.

Mike and I have discussed this previously, and in the first race I was very close to suggesting some sort of drafting/no-blocking agreement with another new driver who found himself way in the back, with me, after we misjudged the position bids. I didn't because I feel that crosses a line and that the normal (read: non-diplomacy player) would think that should go without saying.

If we do have other races being run that are separate from the larger Redscape GP scoring/ranking, I would think a "variant" with teams or where collusion is permitted or even expected would be a fun way to try a race.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 27 Oct 2014, 5:21 pm

An issue has come up that I would like your opinion on.

Should the default lane preference (ending position) be the slipstream instead of the inside lane? The issue came up in Turn 22 when Brad plotted lane 3 with a purported strategy of not giving the slip opportunity to Chris if Chris failed to specify such a preference (which is exactly what happened).* I will let Chris make his case for a rules change as he does it more elegantly than I.

* I used this strategy as well though it was not necessary.

The change from inside default to slipstream default should suffice though I would further that with defaults on which car to slip if given a choice. My proposal would be inside to out. Any rules changes would not take effect until the next race.