Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 14 Sep 2018, 7:09 pm

The race won't begin until January but I'm posting my thoughts on the track so I don't forget.

I want something unique that you won't find in the leagues, kind of like that Philadelphia track we ran several years ago. I think Charlie Heckman's Mid-Ohio track has a lot of potential for a good race (he also created Philly, btw). It's 76 spaces, has plenty of 3-wide areas. and some interesting corners. A few issues to resolve: 1. Chicane or no chicane. 2. The 2nd half of the split line, just after the chicane, should start after the row alignment. At least I think it should.

Anyway, that's where I'm at - I may change my mind later.

Also, if you wish to race, let me know and I'll send you instructions for the $5 (or more if you like) Redscape donation.

Confirmed Drivers
W. Kennard
D. Tatum
Mid-Ohio.png
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 23 Sep 2018, 10:32 pm

If it helps any in my research Indycar doesn't use the chicane. For us, the Chicane does make for a very long and Unique corner, but I do wonder if it just would weaken it as a passing zone with most cars basically running though the corner for 2 turns before either rolliong on to the backstretch or accelerating fromt he lip.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 26 Sep 2018, 2:05 pm

Still debating on wether to run it. I don't like those long, speed limited, narrow corners where cars can get back up. We saw that in Heckman's Philadelphia track which, in hindsight, was an undesirable feature. Those long corners should be 3-wide, not 2.

If we do run it, no chicane.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 26 Sep 2018, 2:25 pm

Here's some really cool looking tracks:

Credit to Robert Merino, posted at BGG
1970s_F1_circuits (1).jpg
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 26 Sep 2018, 2:30 pm

Most of the above were done by Doug but the following have not:

Brands Hatch (86)
Osterreichring (101)
Mosport Park (92)
Terlaemen Zolder (90)
Dijon-Prenois (79)
Watkins Glen (116)
van Zandvoort (94)
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 26 Sep 2018, 4:29 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Most of the above were done by Doug but the following have not:

Brands Hatch
Osterreichring
Mosport Park
Terlaemen Zolder
Dijon-Prenois

and the Glen Course to note as it is the current course used by IMSA, and was the GP in the 80s.(and was used by Indycar in the Labor Day race a couple years ago). Doug's track is the F1 course from the 70s before the Glen went through major renovations.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 26 Sep 2018, 6:39 pm

Thanks, Will, didn't notice that. I don't think Doug's ever done Watkins but the one we ran here was the AH version without the Boot.

It appears that these tracks are all very long. I added the space count to the list above. Not sure these will work for us.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 27 Sep 2018, 12:28 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Thanks, Will, didn't notice that. I don't think Doug's ever done Watkins but the one we ran here was the AH version without the Boot.

It appears that these tracks are all very long. I added the space count to the list above. Not sure these will work for us.

The AH version is the 70s track. The Boot was part of the renovations(and was redoing the entire back stretch, which is why the bend that the Circuit race had is replaced with two corners.) You may be right though that they may not have been created yet.

and yeah that is long. Guessing the creator may have used a different measurement for spaces in comparison to Doug.

Edit: Looking at Paul Ricard, yeah I definitely think this was the case.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 31 Oct 2018, 9:43 am

The track will be Istanbul, Turkey. I chose to go with one of Doug's tracks since we will be testing out Doug's 'Balance' rules. A new track would not provide the baseline Doug needs to rate the impact of the rule.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 31 Oct 2018, 9:47 am

Here are the rules: http://lucidphoenix.blogspot.com/2018/10/introducing-balance-replacing-skill.html
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 31 Oct 2018, 10:14 am

Also... I am initially recruiting from Redscape's Pro ranks. If the field does not fill, I will go to the Amateur ranks.

The primary reason for this is to ensure that the racers have a complete understanding of the game and would have few problems with the trial rules.