Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 03 Aug 2014, 7:28 am

Greece kept the following log throughout the game, sending each entry when written to the GM. I post it here for your amusement and enjoyment and potentially comments.

The Greek View of the World

Prior to moves for Year 1, only Persia seems reasonable. I've tried to make peace with Rome by leaving both Dal and Vind for him, and letting him know it. The deal is that he takes Dal first, then leaves it ungarrisoned to take Vind in Year 2. Also ION is to remain DMZ'd. Hopefully this will keep him off my back for awhile and I can concentrate on the East. Persia wants Chersonesus and Egypt wants Crete. It seems I have no centers reserved for myself in Year 2. Persia seems to be going for Cyprus, Sinope, and Tyre. I'll have to risk going for Chersonesus in year 1 if I ever want to get it. It's important to me to set that boundary so my fronts are limited. Persia, while mostly reasonable wants to advance through Egypt AND to north towards Rome. Can't let him do both. I hope we can work together against Egypt.

My initial press to Egypt offered to slice and dice Persia up between us, but he's been lukewarm to the offer, and mentioned that he wanted Crete to boot. So I will probably build 2 fleets the first winter and send all 3 fleets to Crete to take it. As I said, I hope that Persia isn't too pissed about Chersonesus - after all we do have equal claim to it - and we can focus together on eliminating Egypt before either Rome or Carthage come after us.

Carthage sends press with interesting words and seems to know some ancient history, but he says nothing diplomatically. He sent an alarmist message that Rome was coming after me. Maybe he sent the same thing to Rome. I'll need to tie up that loose end. I have no idea what either Rome or Carthage will be up to.

Spring Year 2

Still not a lot of negotiations going on. Persia and Greece initially clashed verbally over Chersonesus. Greece got there first and secured it. Persia has suggested not garrisoning it and he won't garrison adjacent provinces. The small risk is worth gaining an ally against Egypt and allowing Greece freedom to attack Rome early.

I've given tactical advice to both Rome and Carthage hoping that Carthage will gain a slight edge; but hope that neither will be able to grow next year.

Egypt calmly asked me to comment on my builds, so I leveled with him. I'm going with Persia against him.

Fall Year 2

There is still a surprising lack of press in this game. Perhaps I am to blame as much as anyone else. Persia thanked me for vacating Chersonesus as he had requested. He made a move to ARM this past spring to block any potential shenanigans I may have been up to, but I value his alliance more than a potential center and more than any other player on the board. I hope he doesn't dwell on the fact that I am likely to get 2 builds this year while he might not get any. That would be a recipe for him trying to snag Chersonesus from me. At some point I may need to garrison it, but right now I need to concentrate on attacking Rome. Persia did ask for fleet assistance into the Egyptian Sea, but I had to turn him down. I hope that doesn't cost me too many diplomatic points. The big surprise is that I have heard nothing from Carthage this season. You would think he would offer to carve up Rome whether he meant it or not, but nothing. Rome asked if there was anything he could do to convince me not to take Vind and Dal. No. Not right now.

Spring Year 3

Things were pretty quiet this season (as usual). I asked Persia about it. He said that they were talking alright. They're all against me. Trying to get him to stab me. So they probably weren't inclined to bring me in on that conversation. I think its still Greece and Persia as the only real alliance. Carthage and Rome have a non-agression pact according to Carthage. The new Egyptian leader is trying to split Persia and Greece up; but I don't think either of us is buying what he's selling. I believe that I can win a 1:1 fight against Rome, but I must be careful not to make things too tempting for Persia. It will be a critical balance. I must send enough to win, but not so much that I am defenseless against a possible stab from the east. Hopefully Carthage doesn't start supporting Rome. That could be disastrous.

Fall Year 3

Only one press received this season, but I didn't send any myself. I'm taking on quite a bit of risk throwing everything I've got at Rome, and hoping that Persia doesn't stab me next year. I suspect that he knew Carthage might support Rome into Messenian Sea when he asked me to do the useless support from Crete. I should have known better. If I can get through next year, I'll need to keep my friends close, and my enemies even closer. A note about the new Egypt. I like his style. Unfortunately I believe I'm stuck with Persia for now.

Spring Year 4

Another quiet season, though I did send to and receive press from everyone. It looks like I may have convinced Rome to make some defensive moves against a potential Carthaginian attack. He is naturally nervous about doing so; but I am on the level. I'll change my focus if Rome is at least cooperative. I am very suspicious of Carthage. He says he wants to attack Rome but is hazy when it comes to drawing our lines. Persia has been quiet too and I feel the need to not neglect my eastern borders. I will try for an arranged bounce in Vind with Rome. I've passed on any information I have to Egypt, which wasn't much; but I do want him to hold out for a bit.

Spring Year 5

I can't wait around for Rome any more. I must gain centers and stick with Persia to face Carthage soon. No communication from anyone this season.

Spring Year 6

Talked a little with Carthage. He says he won't attack me...or Rome... or Egypt...or expand east against Persia. I guess he's taken all he wants.

Fall Year 6

Probably Persia is talking to Rome, but I don't think Persia and Carthage are working together. Unfortunately for me, I can't seem to get Carthage to attack Rome. He insists on propping up both Rome and Egypt. I can't fight a two front war forever, and I think that Carthage will see a weak point in me eventually and exploit it. But I'd rather that happen than Persia benefit from his stab.

Fall Year 7
I
don't think Carthage and Persia are working together. Persia hasn't sent one word since the stab. I've approached him once before suggesting a resolution and have just chastized him for throwing the game to Carthage. I will allow a Carthaginian solo before I cede anything to Persia's ill-conceived stab. I think that Carthage will finally eliminate Rome. That should give me some flexibility either way. I really don't understand Carthage. His “logic” is indecipherable and I believe he has a language barrier. Egypt can be of help if he can ever get his fleet mobilized. Maybe he can do so this season.

Spring Year 8

It seems that Carthage and Egypt have joined Greece in an anti-Persian coalition, although it's a bit like herding cats. I'd much rather work with Persia against Carthage; but Persia has not sent any press to me since he stabbed me. I am willing to not defend against Carthage and quite possibly lose to prevent Persia from making any gains. Carthage really has me over a barrel. Complicating the coalition against Persia is Egyptian calls for his own gains. Of course we'd all like to make gains, but making a convincing case with one's allies is the key.

DIAS in Summer Year 8

What a disappointing finish, although at this point it’s probably the best I could hope for. I still think Carthage could have won the whole thing and should have quietly voted down the draw to do so. I blame Persia heavily for miscalculating on the stab and then not rectifying things by renegotiating sooner. I admire Egypt’s spunk and wish he’d been here from the beginning. I probably would have gotten along with him better than Persia and the game would have been totally different.
I appreciate Egypt’s and Carthage’s detailed EOG statements, won’t quibble with either, and hope that all will contribute in some way, including our GM. Thank-you to Kalvin for faithfully adjudicating the game. It was worth playing, and I always learn something. I hope to trade knives with each of you again in the future.

JonnyB
Dignitary

Post 03 Aug 2014, 12:09 pm

JonnyB,

Liked you game long EOG a lot! By the way, where the heck is Carthage's EOG?
Adjutant

Post 03 Aug 2014, 1:51 pm

Georgeatkins wrote:Liked you game long EOG a lot! By the way, where the heck is Carthage's EOG?

In your post about Egyptian EOG.