Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Rally Racer (Pro III)

Post 25 Feb 2014, 6:40 am

Freeman (RBL), Jared (RFL), and I have been testing Strat-o-matic’s (SOM) online baseball league. Freeman has just opened a full-season league for 12 teams and we are now recruiting owners. At this time, the draft is set for 6 p.m. EST on Saturday, March 29th. Yes, it is three hours before the RBL auction and the day before the INL auction. A true baseball weekend!

This time/date can be changed so don't let that stop you from reading on...

What is SOM baseball?

It’s a simulation of real baseball games. Each owner drafts a team and must stay under a salary cap. Pre-set player values depend upon their past year’s performance and a player can only be owned by one team. You then set your pitcher rotations, line-ups, and preferences on many aspects of managing a team. In the league, you play three games per night (automated) for about two months. This replicates a full 162-game season followed by playoffs. You can even choose the stadium you play your home games in (there are ballpark effects).

Is there a cost?

Yes. You can play in a free 7-day trial league to see if you like it. Your first two full leagues cost $15 ($7.50 each) and thereafter $20 per league. I don’t know if it’s worth $20 but I’m willing to find out. You can also recoup your costs by doing well: 1st place earns 2 league credits and 2nd place earns 1.

Show me something cool!

Home page of Freeman & Jared’s test league: http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/348603
A leaders page from their league: http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/league/stats/leaders/348603
One of Freeman’s wins: http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/348603/60

How do I sign up?

Go to the home page: http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com

I would sign up for a test league even if you know you will join the full league. You’ll get a good feel for how to manage your team.

To find Freeman’s full-season league you’ll need to ‘Start a Team’, select 2013 season then select live draft and $80 million salary cap. You’ll then see a list of leagues that fit those parameters. You’re looking for the private ‘Redscape’ league which is password protected: ‘diplomacy’.

Looking forward to seeing some of you join!

Mike

p.s. Some of you might remember the card & dice game from way back. They still make it and I just received one as a gift this past Christmas. I played a simulation with my 8-year old daughter. Her Nats trounced my Cubs! I chose the Cubs because I really wanted her to win...

M.
Adjutant

Post 25 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm

Wow! I finally made it to be a moderator...what special powers do I have?
Adjutant

Post 26 Feb 2014, 1:43 pm

I think we can choose ballparks by chat in the draft room prior to the draft--maybe set preferences for ballparks in the reverse order from the draft...
For those who haven't played the game, and play fantasy baseball, here is why you might like the game:

(1) You get to play GM in choosing and selecting players to maximize the competitiveness of your team. Each batter's stats are broken down on a card (current cards have last season stats) with the batter or pitcher having a 50 percent chance of the result being based on their card. There is essentially a dice roll (done by the computer) and the computer looks to the card for the result. The result is then further modified by the defensive rating of the player where the ball is hit and by park factors. You optimize your team by looking at righty-lefty splits, stealing ability, running ability, fielding, hit and run effectiveness, etc. You can get a team that has power, or speed, or fielding, or great starters, or relief pitching or whatever kind of team you think is most effective. There are a lot of ways to put together a team. And you have to assess which players provide the best value given their salary (you have a 80 million dollar salary cap) There is a lot of strategy involved in making that assessment.
(2) Then you put together your line-ups and what you think would be the most effective ways to put together a line-up, given your players. And of course you start your players who do best against right or left-handed pitching. You also select your starting pitching, what reliefer is your closer, who will face righties, lefties, who will be long-relief, etc. you can also select for defensive replacements and for pitch-runners, pitch-hitters, etc. You also decide team tendencies--e.g., how often you steal, how aggressive you run, how often you bunt, hit and run, etc

(3) then with your morning coffee you get to revel in what a brilliant GM you are as you look at your boxscores where you destroy the competition. Winning categories in fantasy baseball is not quite the same as a boxscore.
Rally Racer (Pro III)

Post 01 Mar 2014, 12:16 am

Our sales pitches are obviously not too effective in this market (and yours was mighty fine). Fortunately, this is not tied to the real baseball season so we're not in any particular rush. I'll leave it up to you as far as opening the league to others at SOM although I would argue for holding out a few more weeks. We could also push the draft back if needed. I may be meeting up with Josh (RBL) & another fantasy baller for a fantasy draft on the 30th and if so I plan on bringing the card & dice game - perhaps that experience will bring them around.

Have you played any games on the PC version and if so, got any feedback? As a Mac user, it doesn't matter too much, but I am curious.
Adjutant

Post 01 Mar 2014, 1:55 pm

Well, then maybe I'll push the draft to late April. If we don't get any interest by the time the season starts, then I suggest opening it up to the public at that point.
And I really haven't got around to playing the windows game, yet...
Rally Racer (Pro III)

Post 11 Mar 2014, 12:02 pm

Did you get the email that SOM is offering leagues with six owners. Maybe we can shoot for that!
Adjutant

Post 11 Mar 2014, 10:08 pm

Yes, that is why procrastination is a great option--if you wait long enough you may not have to do something or at least not as much as you thought..
Adjutant

Post 09 Apr 2014, 11:26 pm

League has been opened to the public.
Adjutant

Post 11 Apr 2014, 11:07 am

Two more teams have joined since we have gone public...
Ambassador

Post 12 Apr 2014, 2:00 pm

Btw, saw this comparison and thought of this forum. It's a side-by-side of 4 baseball games, including SOM.

http://www.ultimatebaseballthegame.com/ ... s/#pricing
Rally Racer (Pro III)

Post 27 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm

Four spots left for the May 10th draft. We've picked up three in the last 24 hours so I assume these things fill fast as the draft approaches.

I'll be posting regular updates once the league gets going.