Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 26 Dec 2014, 1:33 pm

Inspired by Freemans political book recommendations I thought I'd share my current read. Most of you are probably familiar with Oliver Sacks Awakenings. And you can start with his interview at The World Science Festival on the topic of Hallucinations to see if you might be interested in the book.

"To many people, hallucinations imply madness, but in fact they are a common part of the human experience. These sensory distortions range from the shimmering zigzags of a visual migraine to powerful visions brought on by fever, injuries, drugs, sensory deprivation, exhaustion, or even grief. Hallucinations doubtless lie behind many mythological traditions, literary inventions, and religious epiphanies. Drawing on his own experiences, a wealth of clinical cases from among his patients, and famous historical examples ranging from Dostoevsky to Lewis Carroll, the legendary neurologist Oliver Sacks investigates the mystery of these sensory deceptions: what they say about the working of our brains, how they have influenced our folklore and culture, and why the potential for hallucination is present in us all."

It's an easy enjoyable read that can be shared with family and friends. And frankly useful, we all have family members that are/will experience halluciantions and from macular degeneration, epilepsy, Parkinson's, etc, and this book will give excellent perspective in talking and possibly even enjoying to talking to them about their experience.
Statesman

Post 03 Feb 2015, 1:35 pm

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (1985)
Seeing Voices: A Journey Into the World of the Deaf (1989)
An Anthropologist on Mars (1995)
The Island of the Colorblind (1997)
Musicophilia

all fascinating reads... i've no doubt his latest will have the same appeal.
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 08 Feb 2015, 6:54 pm

Yes he's an enjoyable and unique writer.

Since the book covers hallucinogenic substances, I add this here. Article covers human use going way back:
http://www.livescience.com/49666-prehis ... drugs.html