Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 04 Oct 2011, 6:07 am

It's been a long time since I've hosted and it's a little depressing seeing the dearth of forum based games. Time to dust off my RP skills.

This game is intended for NEW Redscape members (Edit: Now open to any member) as an introduction to human GM'd, forum-based games. If the game does not fill in a timely fashion, it will be opened to others. Post below with e-mail address (disguised from bots as necessary) if interested.

Name: Embassy Sweets

Game type: Standard

Notes: Redscape House Rules & my addenda.

Rank requirement: New adjutants who have yet to play a forum-based game. Edit: Open to any Redscape member

Victory conditions: 18 centers or DIAS

Deadlines: Moves/Retreats/Builds = Tues/Wed/Thur (all times 9 am EDT / 1 pm GMT)

Power assignments: Random, please do not make requests

Maps: Yes, posted in forums

When the game fills, I will request a forum. Moderators, forgive me if this advertisement is improper protocol!
Last edited by SLOTerp on 27 Feb 2012, 7:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 05 Oct 2011, 5:44 am

I understand that new registrants are still having some diffuculty getting logged in properly and thus, may be unable to post. You are welcome to send me an email to mpolcen*at*verizon*dot*net (remove *'s).

It may take a long time to fill this game but I'm in no rush. I do hope forum based games become resurgent here - it was what attracted me to the sight when I came on board. No knock on Otto (though I have yet to play) but there's something special about the custom maps & player press of forum games. Also seems much easier for observers to peek in.
Ambassador

Post 12 Oct 2011, 12:24 pm

Hey.

I miss the Forum games as well. I also miss the fun of posting. I know this is a game for newbies ... but .... if you get stuck at 6 players and need a 7th to complete the circle ... I'm willing to jump in.
I know I hardly quaify as a newbie, Ultimate ToC and all that, but I miss this man.

Please keep me in mind. gpilette[at]tampabay(dot)rr(dot)com
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 12 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

I think you'd make a fine ambassador for Redscape and are welcome in the game. I consider it an honor to hold a spot for you. Now let's hope you are the honey (or carebear :confused: ) that attracts all the newbies passing through to OTTO.

[edit] Heh, I just noticed you are an ambassador for Redscape!
Adjutant

Post 10 Feb 2012, 7:04 am

I've crossed swords with Geezer a few times, and I haven't played in ages and automated games didn't really do it for me. Better the devil you know then the devil you don't. I'm not really a newbie, but if a spot exists then keep me in mind. Prefs - Whatever.

ozzietheblade@hotmail.com
Ambassador

Post 11 Feb 2012, 10:03 pm

Yeah, Ozzie. It's only been 6 months since somebody responded to this game. There must be a shortage of newbies out there.

Mike, you may consider opening it up to "anybody" LOLOL
Adjutant

Post 11 Feb 2012, 11:14 pm

LOL. It's been about 6 and a half months since I checked these forums. Guess I should have looked at that. Yes an open game would be good. Unfortunately I think automated diplomacy is taking over. I tried a whilst back to get diplomacy up and off the ground at another gaming forum I goto with no prevail. I fear we maybe a dying breed...
Dignitary

Post 12 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

Well, Ozzie...
You have only to look a the Diplomatic Pouch to see what has been going on - nothing. That is to say, interest in any kind of a central source of information has flagged. There hasn't been an issue of the Pouch Zine for two years, I believe. Heck, most of the articles on openings and strategy were written in the '70s and '80s, when Postal Dip was all the rage.

Regarding Redscape, itself, the obvious question (to me) is: What the heck happened!? Sure, Otto presents an alternative format that became the main thrust of the a rejuvenated Redscape. Still, there were ongoing forum tourneys; and there should have been ongoing forum games. I would at least have expected to see many of the former players posting about this. And that did happen, up to a point. But where did the other players go? It's like they just never returned.

Heck, even Otto is not exactly rolling over with games, is it? There have been less than 100 games, so far. I've been to other sites running the same judge and interface. There are lots more players and games, but there are some critical differences:

1. Most of the automated games at other sites have very short turnaround times (1 or 2 days). Our membership has usually been used to the standard 5-7 days. Frankly, I don't have time for that kind of turnaround on a regular basis.

2. Much of the public "press" appears more juvenile in nature. That is, more like the kind of random sniping and vacuous dialog you see on tweets, texting, and FB walls.

So maybe we are like that former Play-By-Mail Dip Generation (of which I was once a part), who looked upon the then-infant email-based games as a loss of tradition and depth: "One week for all negotiations and orders? Why, it would take me a week just to read the current crop of letters, formulate a plan, and try to get my responses out!" I have to admit, that I felt that way at first, too.

But I have to say that I do like Otto, in spite of its limitations; and I'm more than willing to support both the forum and the judge games, to the best of my time. In fact, I'm waiting for enough players to let iLLuM know they want to do the forum-based "Ambition and Empire" variant.

Still, I wish I knew what we could do to get some life back into this once-busy and best-of-the-crop Dip site.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 14 Feb 2012, 10:32 am

Heh, I stopped looking for responses here, it's been dormant for so long.

Sure, I'll open it up to anybody. So far we have...

Geezerguy
Ozzie
Ambassador

Post 15 Feb 2012, 2:45 pm

Just two of us ???? .... Jeez, this looks like a prom date.
(Do they still have proms the soon-to-be Septuagenarian asks ??)
Dignitary

Post 20 Feb 2012, 10:30 am

I was wondering about the lack of games as well. I came back from a year long loss of internet and all was quite.
Dignitary

Post 20 Feb 2012, 12:47 pm

Well, I'm sitting at my computer for about 15 hours/day, so I'm in if you are still hosting.

jeff.rosano<at>gmail<dot>com
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 20 Feb 2012, 1:00 pm

I'm still game - just waiting for seven. At this rate, we'll get started by 2014....

Geezerguy
Ozzie
Guapo
Emissary

Post 20 Feb 2012, 7:44 pm

I'll play.

srtedesco at g mail dot com
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 20 Feb 2012, 9:43 pm

Can't say no to the man in black (although you look quite yellow to my eyes).

Geezerguy
Ozzie
Guapo
TheManInBlack