Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 11 Jan 2011, 4:41 pm

The forums here are naturally just the beginning of the Redscape makeover. This time around there won't only be forums, but the addition of an automated adjudicator. With that in mind, there will be a section above Ares there in the black entitled "Rulebook" and a chapter of that book will be devoted to Standard Diplomacy.

I've been receiving some offers to help out with the new website (thank you, btw!). If anyone would like to write a simple guide on how to play Standard Diplomacy, I would greatly appreciate it.

A couple points:

* Keep it as simple as possible (use this as a starting point/guide: http://webdiplomacy.net). Kestas has a concise guide, but it doesn't account for Retreats or Winter Builds/Disbandments, etc, rules essential to play.

* I anticipate one person would draft most of the rules, but this should be a community effort: meaning, don't be offended if we add/modify/delete a paragraph or whatever. Nothing written should be sacrosanct to revision!

* DON'T include any artwork! I will be redesigning the Standard map and/or we can use the examples posted on Kestas' website (http://webdiplomacy.net) for any initial rulebook. No need to recreate illustrative examples when there are already some available.

* DON'T include any strategy tips. This should be a different chapter altogether. Speaking of which, if someone would like to write a generalized strategy guide, I'd appreciate that too, but let's keep the two guides separate.

It was originally stated that the rules to Diplomacy couldn't be posted online. The game is 50+ years old now; I doubt the posting of the rules will cause a commotion. In any event, I'll post a disclaimer at the beginning of the rulebook that states these rules may be removed at any time per the game publisher's request.

Cheers!
Administrator

Post 12 Jan 2011, 1:50 pm

I have heard the rules can now be posted online (But I could be wrong) I am fairly certain this is the case since I have seen them here and there in multiple places.
Adjutant

Post 12 Jan 2011, 6:37 pm

My friend looked around for an online rule book and found one on wizards.com. This is certainly not a "keep it simple" version though.
Administrator

Post 12 Jan 2011, 6:43 pm

Ah, fantastic! What I'll do is use Kestas' version as the "Quick Guide" and post/link this PDF as the full rulebook.

Thanks!
Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2011, 9:22 am

I knew I had to look up a ruling while at work several times, You can find a whole bunch of places with rules posted, the best source might be the Diplomacy Archive?
http://www.diplom.org/~diparch/diplomacy_rules.htm
Here you can chose from several versions.

Looking at the Wizards version, it's certainly prettier!
...not sure of what version they are using though?
Ambassador

Post 13 Jan 2011, 11:48 am

On 'general strategy' guide, are you talking about general so as to apply for any country on the map, or having some sections on each country (such as "Austria - try to keep Russia and Turkey at each other's throats, so you can pick a side and to avoid a Juggernaut")

??
Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2011, 12:09 pm

Most likely another 'quick start'-styled strategy guide about how to get a better game in. Something with an individual header styled "Talk, talk, talk!", for example.

Maybe about 6-10 headings (perhaps a "Top 10 Strategy Tips for Diplomacy" title), with each tip spanning approximately the length of the paragraph in your post above.

Again, something easy that new players can skim over quickly.
Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2011, 12:30 pm

myself, I think a bit of both would be good. This being aimed to new players, it's good to give a brief glimpse at possible strategy for each power. And if done, brief is key but also try to include multiple possibilities like telling France his major decision is to ally with England or Germany, be certain to not be part of them allying against France and mention the rare triple alliance is indeed that, rare but possible. (let him read between the lines)
Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2011, 2:48 pm

GMTom wrote:myself, I think a bit of both would be good. This being aimed to new players, it's good to give a brief glimpse at possible strategy for each power. And if done, brief is key but also try to include multiple possibilities like telling France his major decision is to ally with England or Germany, be certain to not be part of them allying against France and mention the rare triple alliance is indeed that, rare but possible. (let him read between the lines)

If this were the case, I'd rather those strategy tips be written for a Diplomacy "appendix". There's no rule to how long the rulebook needs to be; but, I'd prefer a one-webpage-covers-all strategy guide first and then have either links to or another section devoted to individual powers.