Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 01 Feb 2013, 1:49 pm

perfect example of what we have been and need to reinvent ourselves into!

regarding the Redscape name in a tourney,
I though about that as well but I changed my thinking because we want to lure people from other sites, a "Redscape" moniker would (in my humble opinion) limit the open feeling, it would "feel" a bit inclusive regardless how we ask for others to join.
Think about it, you are a Redscape member and you see a neat tourney offered on "Elite Diplomacy Online" (a made up name), it's called the "Elite Dip Championship" ...kinda makes you not want to join as much is it were simply the "Diplomacy Tourney"? Generic Diplomacy would (I feel) lend itself to "outsiders" a bit more?

The idea is to get people here, once here we either got them interested or not, the name of the game isn't going to keep them. Yes they may talk to buddies about the game but if they are interested, those buddies are going to ask where this tourney is held???
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 01 Feb 2013, 2:22 pm

Good point, Tom. Including RS in the name might also sound a little... desperate.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 01 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm

Also, since there are no currently active games, if you want one to already be well in motion if (when) all is set to go, I'd be more than happy to run a game of standard right now. A game with some of the more outgoing personalities that enjoy posting forum press? My maps aren't snazzy but I do try to create a game theme to work around.
Ambassador

Post 01 Feb 2013, 5:29 pm

A few months ago, I thought we were darned close to starting the next round of the Redscape Games tournament. Is there any interest in moving forward with that?
Dignitary

Post 01 Feb 2013, 7:58 pm

I hope I don't miss out on too much here. I am flying down to Virginia to see the folks and siblings for a week. I should get some time on the PC, I'm sure.
Tom - are you saying you do not like the GM prefix for the regular GMs? Should GMs be typographically identified in any way, then? Should players have two accounts: a GM account and a normal player account so that a player can participate in either way, but so as to not confuse other players?
With regard to variants as Tom noted,I think that variants are actually quite popular on some of the judge sites, such as vDip. Tom, you have some really great ideas, so I hope you continue to participate hear, feeding our brains with food for though (sorry for the cliche). So, yes. timing is all. We get a few games going and about half-way through some games, we launch the tournament. Inviting participants from other established sites is cool. They wouldn't have to be as teams, but we could score not only the players, but the "home sites" in the tourney on how well the number of players from each "home site" do in the tourney. I reckon that is sort of like teams, but without any formal structure. Oh, heck, maybe they would be de facto teams, at that.

You know, as you point out, WWIV is very popular. And you'll be happy to know that you are given authorship credit on vDiplomacy.com, too. It's bare-bones, of course, without the extra. However, it is very popular and has been played at least 28 times there. I am not real big on mega games, I'll confess, but I'll certainly do my part to join in to help get things going.

Minister X - not sure what peeved you to leave, unless it was the opinion forums? I hope you are rejuvenated enough to return and bring back some of your glorious maps and variants for us to play. I suppose that anybody who champions new variants is going to come across advocates pro and con. If so, I hope you allow the more hurtful comments to have no more validity and solidity than a tv reality show.
-------------------------
Dignitary

Post 02 Feb 2013, 7:07 am

SLOTerp wrote:Also, since there are no currently active games, if you want one to already be well in motion if (when) all is set to go, I'd be more than happy to run a game of standard right now. A game with some of the more outgoing personalities that enjoy posting forum press? My maps aren't snazzy but I do try to create a game theme to work around.

Here's the first step: Commit to starting a game and reach out to old friends, fine players who have melted away over time and invite them to an invitation only game. You fill the first board, I'll GM the second.

This is contrary to how we used to do things: invitation only games were discouraged (they didn't count toward your ranking) and we always tried to reach out to strangers. There are more former Redscapers than current so there is no reason to reach out to more than that.
Dignitary

Post 02 Feb 2013, 9:39 am

One other issue: we're invisible on-line.--Redscape did not come up in the google searches I tried. When I originally joined Redscape was on the first page of my google search. That may not be fixable (barring our pooling some ad money --minimum cost for google ad words is $600 a year) but it does present an obstacle to getting new members
Ambassador

Post 02 Feb 2013, 11:30 am

King of Swords wrote:A few months ago, I thought we were darned close to starting the next round of the Redscape Games tournament. Is there any interest in moving forward with that?

I think RG is great and I'm willing to help.
Ambassador

Post 02 Feb 2013, 11:31 am

freeman2 wrote:One other issue: we're invisible on-line.--Redscape did not come up in the google searches I tried. When I originally joined Redscape was on the first page of my google search. That may not be fixable (barring our pooling some ad money --minimum cost for google ad words is $600 a year) but it does present an obstacle to getting new members

Excellent point.

Fundraiser?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 02 Feb 2013, 1:05 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
SLOTerp wrote:I was inspired to look around the internets for the old reliable diplomacy sites. Much to my surprise, Diplomacy World is still in publication. In fact, there is even an article in the linked issue on the problems with the web-based judges (p.13).

Haha. I've even written an article (or two) there and have a few more in the works.

Yes, it's THAT easy to get published.

I also looked through the previous issue: That issue was a bit depressing, to say the least. I note that you were in a demo game with a bunch of old-timer pbm guys. Even the demo game commentary felt like an unsatisfactory swan song for a dying breed. Gawd, is that our future?
Dignitary

Post 02 Feb 2013, 4:30 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
freeman2 wrote:One other issue: we're invisible on-line.--Redscape did not come up in the google searches I tried. When I originally joined Redscape was on the first page of my google search. That may not be fixable (barring our pooling some ad money --minimum cost for google ad words is $600 a year) but it does present an obstacle to getting new members

Excellent point.

Fundraiser?

Yeah, I don't think that's a big issue. Think of Redscape as a club. Yes, membership is open, but it's one of those clubs that not everybody knows about and one reason it's great (OK, it's not so great anymore, but it could be) is that not everyone knows about it. Really. Reach out invite former members, friends, family and that's enough. If the games are good and the discussion awesome, that's good enough, people, the right people, people who aren't trolls, will find it.
Administrator

Post 02 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

The fundraiser is not the problem. Funds are workable.

I need a PHPbb guy.
Dignitary

Post 03 Feb 2013, 1:01 pm

Just for the record, Brad, is this PhPbb v2 or v3?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 03 Feb 2013, 1:32 pm

Slappy doesn't have the time to help but he did offer some advice:

The good news is that it's really a breeze to learn your way around the software, and there are official phpBB forums where you can often find useful advice.... a couple of days is all it will take for someone to go from neophyte to sem-competent novice (which is about what you'd be getting if I were to become involved).

I'm unsure what level of competence would be required for Redscape but if some one here has some free time to learn a bit perhaps they could be of use. Note my use of 'they'. Unfortunately, it can't be me.
Administrator

Post 04 Feb 2013, 7:32 am

To cover some issues brought up...

GM prefix = bad idea, confusing to say the least. You have a game and "Bob" is your GM, but who is this GMTom guy, is he my GM? I would have each player keep his standard name and assign maybe a special "cool" rank like Field Marshall (actually seems to fit well) or if you like the prefix (and it does have some allure to it?) then something other than GM since each game has a "game master" who is referred to as the games GM. Maybe something like a prefix "RED"? (REDTom, REDBob, REDBilly, etc?) this has zero confusion to a newbie.

PG tourney
I thought that was dead? I know some others carried on a new tourney, did they keep the PG name?
If so, maybe it's a good idea to get a new name (as we discussed) since the PG theme is well known to be a team format and that seems to be something we agree should be scrapped at this stage? But a tourney, timed right is a great idea!

Variants are popular elsewhere and VDip seems to be a big player all of a sudden. But I joined there to discuss some of my games they are hosting, it's a fine site sure but their forums really suck compared to ours. That's our draw and we really need to make ourselves known once again. Our forums and human adjudicated games are what set us apart, variants designed here were once big as well, not so much of late?