First of all a thank you to all players and especially to Kris (England) for being such a good ally and to T for hanging in to the end and help out against Austria. Thanks also to Randy for some great cooperation at the end (I am not sure if we could be called allies, but it sure was smooth going) and to Rob for GM:ing this. Kudos to Darren too for that fun tactical dance between FG and RE and all attempts to make me attack E and vice versa. Did you really believe we would have eliminated ourselves so stupidly?. To G I can only say that you got caught in the middle in all senses—just tough luck there. And Austria I just wish I had been able to eliminate, but Iinitially I got pretty lulled by his messages and “discreet” poking away at Russia–but I also did not do much useful diplomacy with Italy in the beginning.

Intro
1901-1902 were pretty bad for R as I was away on a vacation trip for the first years. I had some internet connection, but my heart was not in it, which got pretty obvious in 1902.

SFW1901 Moves
Game began with pretty standard moves with bounces over GAL and BLA.

SF1901 Diplomacy

I had an agreement with T to work for alliance and, if possible, a steamroller. FI were sort of allied and AI at peace (allies?). Russia had a deal with F for future cooperation. There were also confusing discussions about FE vs G and FG vs E with R support in either case.

W1901 Diplomacy
At this point France suggests that I let Germany into Sweden. I got rather suspicious as Germany had supported F into BEL and F had moved into the Channel which indicated FG vs E with very little for me in it. Yeah F tried to convince I would gain, but... So I decide that I need to start cooperating with E in earnest. AI are set up for a Lepanto, so RT needs to deepen too.

SFW1902 Away on vacation
A bit of a lull for R due to my vacation. AI try the Lepanto but SMY-EAS stops that dead in its tracks. My suspicions over F dishonesty are amply confirmed by a full out German attack on Russia. Thankfully E is a nice chap easy to work with (despite our differences in RS1). Unfortunately T cannot regain RUM, so I ensure to bounce over SER. A bit of a gamble really as AI could just as well have attacked AEG. To give G a headache I move to BOH as I assume A will break any support of WAR anyway. The northern front goes as planned with my fleet in NRG and E gaining DEN to stop the FG advance.

SFW1903 Time to rally
T does CON-SMY for some reason, instead of attacking BUL. But as he is in SMY RT decide he can go to ARM to cover SEV instead.

In the north I need to make it too costly for GF to attack me and E. So ER plan to get rid of G fleets and grab HOL and KIE. LON cannot be held though. But ER gain NAT and HOL thus pushing back France. I am also very lucky with my guesses over AG moves and manage to hold on to SEV and STP.

And finally Italy attacks Austria. But 1904 confirms it was a coordinated move to get Italy a build (thanks to Italy's worries about A growth). But it does not matter, the important fact is that A loses one SC and cannot build. Which paradoxically is much much better for RT than a build. [Clarfication: I did of course mean than an RT build.]

SFW1903 Diplomacy
By this time it is obvious that to survive I need to have Italy to worry over A getting too strong (Italy has only gained 1SC while A is +3) and hopefully even attack Austria. So I decide to do RUM-UKR both to perhaps deepen Italian worries over A growth (A would reach 7SC with RUM) and to improve my defensive line against AG.

As I lost RUM I have to disband a unit. While BOH may seem the logical choice it was not as it was key to break G, so I remove NAT. F has been delayed in his attack on E and RE can still make progress by eliminating G fleet HEL and gain BER/KIE. I also convince G that I will make peace if he removes A LVN.

SFW1904 Moves

Both success and failure. ER goes well but RT stumbles. I do also make a major mistake by not attacking WAR. I get greedy and hope to keep both STP and SEV open for builds with my projected G gains. And thanks to that I end up both losing UKR and being in a tactically hopeless position -- as AG grab MOS.

The western front is more successful and G is set up to lose his fleet in HEL, which is key for the F1904 and S1905 campaign. But of course Murphy's law strikes and ER make an error. E did spot the mistake, but I manage to forget about his mail and re-mail the erroneous initial plan, at which point E thinks that I must know something and accepts my suggestion. Typical. So instead of eliminating F HEL in S1904 *and* take HOL or KIE or both in F1904 depending on the outcome E lost a fleet and we end up in a tactically worse position on this front too.

The idea was to do
England: F DEN S F HOL-HEL, F HOL-HEL, F NTH-HEL
Russia: F BAL-KIE

Germany:
That way we would have ended up with all bounces if G did:
F HEL S F KIE-DEN, F KIE-DEN

Or a German loss of fleet HEL if G did:
F HEL-DEN, F KIE S HEL-DEN

Or, if G attacked HOL, a German loss of HEL and KIE SC...

But due to my sloppy mail reading we ended up doing:
NTH S HOL-HEL, DEN S BAL-KIE

And Germany got to keep his HEL and HOL as mentioned, while E lost one fleet. But OK we gained KIE.

The year ends up with GR units spread all over the map. And Italy making inroads into T, while A has a very weak back line.

SFW1904 Diplomacy
Keep on trying to convince Italy to attack Austria and end up sending full plans for an attack.

SFW1905 Success, sort of
Italy finally attacks Austria, and I realize that I will likely survive this game. Darren (F) is a bit miffed as yet once more he will be delayed in gaining E and Scandinavia, as A has to let off some of the pressure against Russia. Meaning Darrens solo plans are once more getting delayed. England is collapsing and I hang on by a thread. I gain ANK by a deal with IT.

Austria makes some really weird moves in a bid for maximum centers, and ends up not being able to build and in a totally hopeless tactical position. Which is great for Italy of course, but for me too, as A has regroup to stop the Italian advance.

SFW1905 Diplomacy

I start cooperating in earnest with Italy while trying to get on the inside of the anti-Italy alliance Darren is setting up in a last bid to that much wanted solo. I am offered shared 3rd with Germany (Itakye’s ally) [Correection: G is F's ally]. Which actually is both grand and realpolitik by Darren.

I realize that I have to be careful with my help to Italy and E, to not end end up being crushed by FGA out of plain frustration. So I scheme with E to be the, well, bad guy, while I am the good guy. I also send some rather despondent messages to AG asking them if they see any chance for a “loser alliance”. Both to sound them out, but also to give the impression that I had more or less given this up in case Darren would get knowledge of those messages in some way.

SF1906 To set myself up as kingmaker… not
My goal in 1906 was to survive with as many SC’s as possible and to try to set myself up as a solo stopper/kingmaker, by retreating into Russia and ensuring Italy grew, but not enough to being able to make a bid for the solo (which was a distinct risk) .

I accept French moves suggestions as it will ensure I can retreat into Russia. E does kindly bounce France out of SWE and Italy is willing to, if necessary, temporarily let me gain SMY as to avoid R disbands and support a F STP build in the north.

Everything FAG tells me is discussed with Italy to ensure a smooth coordination and balancing of FI. At the same time discussions of a DIAS begins as it is obvious that F will never solo, and maybe even lose the win, and that there is a slight risk of an Italian win/solo. In the end all (well almost, Austria is recalcitrant) agree to DIAS. I want E included but cannot press the issue due to FE animosity. By discussing it with Italy E is made part of the deal at Italy’s discretion.
And finally the game ends DIAS.

A final word
As I see it most of Darrens game hinged upon eliminating E, gaining Scandinavia and perhaps grabbing STP, before moving in behind G in a bid for the solo. So there was not much to do for ER in that case due to the FI alliance, but to battle F. Had I let F grab Scandinavia and E there would not have been much left for Russia but a 10SC France early in the game. Had that passed I would have ended up an F-flunky as any gains I made would from that point have moved F closer to the win and possible solo. Sure G could have turned, but G looked like an ally. And if G got in the middle between RAI, F would have gained most by a quick stab at HOL, KIE, DEN (G might even voluntarily have given F centers in such a situation) and setting up a semi-stalemate through Germany. With 10 SC France could also have deployed two units to control STP. 2-3 to optionally help G and 5 directed south into the Med. Add 3-5 German units trundling east…