Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 12 Sep 2013, 6:59 pm

Thanks, Ruffhaus. However, I noticed I am in a game with a player in another game I am currently playing here. I was kind of hoping there would be no overlaps, seeing the number of games we have open. Reckon it's too late to fix that.

Addendum - I don't wish to be a complainer, and I'm really not complaining. I just wanted to avoid any unintentional overlaps or improprieties. If it is too late to swap with another Germany, for example, then I'll just stay with the hand I'm dealt.
Adjutant

Post 12 Sep 2013, 8:17 pm

One Step Over the Line
GM: Sendric wgc [ a t ] sendric.com,
Austria Spartan22 howespet [ a t ] msu.edu
England elderfleur michaelfaraday [ a t ] live.com
France bigrob r.j.sweetman [ a t ] leeds.ac.uk
:uhoh: :uhoh: Germany kaner406 kenrgordon [ a t ] gmail.com :yes: :yes:
Italy JoeRedscape joe.hall [ a t ] virgin.net
Russia Dr. Jack Jennings donroach34 [ a t ] yahoo.com
Turkey Crow Cabinetmaker crow.cabinetmaker [ a t ] gmail.com
Dignitary

Post 12 Sep 2013, 8:52 pm

kaner406 wrote:One Step Over the Line
GM: Sendric wgc [ a t ] sendric.com,
Austria Spartan22 howespet [ a t ] msu.edu
England elderfleur michaelfaraday [ a t ] live.com
France bigrob r.j.sweetman [ a t ] leeds.ac.uk
:uhoh: :uhoh: Germany kaner406 kenrgordon [ a t ] gmail.com :yes: :yes:
Italy JoeRedscape joe.hall [ a t ] virgin.net
Russia Dr. Jack Jennings donroach34 [ a t ] yahoo.com
Turkey Crow Cabinetmaker crow.cabinetmaker [ a t ] gmail.com

Making a suggestion, Kaner?
Emissary

Post 13 Sep 2013, 3:35 pm

So which boards are the 1st/2nd division games ?
Dignitary

Post 13 Sep 2013, 3:53 pm

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:The board assignments are randomly assigned within the division that you qualified to play in, and specifically so by tournament design intent without any respect to relationships between players, shared games, past experiences, etc. This is the best if not only way to assure fairness and integrity of the games.

Diplomacy is a game of honor, a trait that we all depend upon when entering into a contest. While I can understand your preference to play against opponents that you are not currently facing elsewhere, the reality is that to accommodate everyone is this fashion would be impossible. There are quite literally over two dozen similar instances in this tournament where players are sharing boards, and an equal number of games matching up players that have gone against each other before. I am sure that you will do your best to separate the games, and play each one of them independently.

For what it's worth even though trades board assignments is not allowed, Kaner406 is playing in a second division board because he's a new player to the tournament, whereas your game is a first division game. Therefore and such hypothetical swap would be doubly problematic.

Well, no problem, matey! And thanks for the response, Randy. I was concerned because the other game is another current Redscape game. Of course, most of us have played against each other at some time or other, so I don't figure that means much. Nevertheless, I still have a valid Honor Merit Badge, so I should be okay. But we might disagree about Diplomacy being a game of honor. Not that there is none in it, but I don't think that is its main calling card. That said, ad honorem. et ludi incipiant!
Ambassador

Post 14 Sep 2013, 4:57 am

Sassenach wrote:So which boards are the 1st/2nd division games ?

Division 1:

Buffalo River Home
Cross My Fingers
Feels Like Rain
Icy Blue Heart

Division 2:

Once Step Over the Line
Paper Thin
Slow Turning
Tennessee Plates
Dignitary

Post 15 Sep 2013, 10:03 am

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:Confirming danivon's post delineating the division 1 and division 2 games. The official scoring tables will illustrate this a little better. Division one games contain the players that qualified for it based on play in the first two rounds. All new players begin in division two. I wouldn't read anything into that right now. The top two players from rounds one and two are not playing, and many of the new players to the tournament are very talented players. Ultimately the divisions are meant to provide competitive games for everyone, and give additional incentive to play well even when a game goes poorly.

George, I would think this would be abundantly clear, but since it's not, the point about Diplomacy being a game of honor is that we agree to play the game without the influence personal grudges, friendships, paybacks, kickbacks, etc. In the online environment we enter into another level of honor and trust in various respects in that we are each using only one user name, and playing each game within itself, and not inventing straw man accounts to stack games. While this behavior does not exist at Redscape, it is not uncommon in the online hobby. That's the honor I speak of.

Randy, your original use of the phrase "Diplomacy is a game of honor" was ambiguous without fault; but also without meaningful context. Now that you have provided that context above, we concur! One aspect of the honor you speak of is not something inherent within the game's objectives (which was my original point), but is an issue of playing the game within a largely anonymous, electronic environment. I have, in fact, played in games on other sites where I had a very strong suspicion of one player acting under two different identities. Fortunately, as you pointed out, I don't think we've ever had an issue with that here at Redscape.

Another aspect of "honor" you brought up ("we agree to play the game without the influence personal grudges, friendships, paybacks, kickbacks, etc.") to me is more an issue of civility and decency, I think. Yet another part of your definition, in fact, is part of so-called meta-gaming, often found in team-based tournaments (absent in this event), where kickbacks, paybacks and cross-game deals are expected.

As to grudges, friendships, etc., I totally agree with you, of course. I think most of us like to go into each game as if it were sui generis. This is where player familiarity becomes important, because I think it is paradoxically easier to attack or be attacked by friends in a game, rather than by strangers. I think familiarity between players helps reduce personal attacks, as well. This is another area where Redscape has excelled.

Finally, I would like to take a moment to affirm that I am not playing in every game under an assumed identity. Rather, I am playing in one game as a composite identity made up of 27 different people, deciding negotiations, strategy, and tactics by consensus. Right now, about half of us are currently voting for a non-interventionist policy, some of us are hoping that an international assembly will decide for us, and the rest are ready to form up ranks and start marching. All of us have our hands out, waiting for the right affirmation that will help make us the sole, entitled ruler of Europe. And if Mr. X in game 3 doesn't cough up the influence we need within the next 2 days, we'll publish those photos of him and the shipping clerk in Las Vegas.
Dignitary

Post 18 Sep 2013, 8:26 am

Diplomacy is a game of dishonor, if you ask me. :)