Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2014, 10:31 am

A liberal Democrat finally tells the truth: Obama knowingly lied. Furthermore, he is incompetent. Well done, Barney Frank!

"The rollout was so bad, and I was appalled -- I don't understand how the president could have sat there and not been checking on that on a weekly basis," Frank told HuffPost during a July interview. "But frankly, he should never have said as much as he did, that if you like your current health care plan, you can keep it. That wasn't true. And you shouldn't lie to people. And they just lied to people."

. . .

"He should have said, 'Look, in some cases the health care plans that you've got are really inadequate, and in your own interests, we're going to change them,'" Frank said. "But that's not what he said."

A recent Kaiser Family Foundation poll found that Obamacare continues to be widely misunderstood, with a majority of Americans unaware that the law allows consumers to choose between different private sector health plans. Lying about how the consumer protection standards would function, Frank said, created an unnecessary circus around a program that would help people get better coverage.

"Any smart political adviser would have said, 'Don't lie to people, because you're gonna get caught up in it and it's gonna have this tsunami that you now have,'"

So, he failed to adequately supervise the rollout and that was unreasonable to fail to do so. In other words, Obama is incompetent.

And, he lied to the American people.

Maybe that explains why the law remains unpopular.
Administrator

Post 25 Sep 2015, 8:32 am

But comparing the instance of where national health insurance won't pay for a service versus where a private insurance plan in the US refuses to pay ....... that would be a fair comparison. In the US, non-payment of insurance claims is standard procedure. Something like 25% of all claims are refused upon first receipt. In Canada 99.5% of bills are paid upon first receipt. (Its easier because every practitioner has only one place to submit request for payment. Fraud is easier to detect. And the administration is much much easier than where there are dozens of insurance companies to deal with...)
I'm only familiar with Canada, but usually when a service isn't covered, its because it isn't certified as an acceptable procedure or an acceptable remedy. meaning unproven. Which would mean that the doctor would have to get approval for use in a trial, which requires certain protocols.

This quote from a Redscape pundit on a different forum caught my eye.
Statesman

Post 25 Sep 2015, 9:38 am

bbauska
This quote from a Redscape pundit on a different forum caught my eye

Because you care?
I'll clarify for you, of national insurance plans around the world, I'm only familiar with Canadian rates of payment.
On the other hand the rate of refusal of payment for claims to private American insurers is well documented. Its a policy of many to turn down a large percentage of claims when first received.
Administrator

Post 25 Sep 2015, 10:23 am

rickyp wrote:bbauska
This quote from a Redscape pundit on a different forum caught my eye

Because you care?
I'll clarify for you, of national insurance plans around the world, I'm only familiar with Canadian rates of payment.
On the other hand the rate of refusal of payment for claims to private American insurers is well documented. Its a policy of many to turn down a large percentage of claims when first received.

Oh, have some fun... It's Friday! Take a joke.
Statesman

Post 27 Sep 2015, 7:43 am

Since you resurface this board, perhaps now is a good time to look at the premise. Obamacare will be good for the economy.

Turns out, yeah. despite the dire predictions of critics...

Most of the ACA’s provisions have taken effect. The economy looks drastically different than in March 2010 — more than 11 million jobs have been created, and the unemployment rate has been cut nearly in half.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/22/news/ec ... care-jobs/
Ambassador

Post 27 Sep 2015, 10:06 am

rickyp wrote:Since you resurface this board, perhaps now is a good time to look at the premise. Obamacare will be good for the economy.

Most of the ACA’s provisions have taken effect. The economy looks drastically different than in March 2010 — more than 11 million jobs have been created, and the unemployment rate has been cut nearly in half.

I don't see that quote in the article that you linked. In any case, both Reagan and Clinton created more jobs than that without Obamacare. Even Carter did better than that on an annualized basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobs_crea ... tial_terms
Ambassador

Post 27 Sep 2015, 10:53 am

Ray Jay wrote:
rickyp wrote:Since you resurface this board, perhaps now is a good time to look at the premise. Obamacare will be good for the economy.

I don't see that quote in the article that you linked. In any case, both Reagan and Clinton created more jobs than that without Obamacare. Even Carter did better than that on an annualized basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobs_crea ... tial_terms

And, there are other problems: labor participation rate, welfare participation, wages, etc. Plus, the Fed has taken unprecedented management of the economy. We have never seen near-zero rates from the Fed for this long. That has propped up the economy.

There is NOTHING to tie this piddly growth we've got now to Obamacare. Nothing. Furthermore, it's only beginning to take full effect, so I believe the "best" (meaning "worst") is yet to come for the ACA.
Ambassador

Post 27 Sep 2015, 10:59 am

From the article:

Only 4% of employers with at least 50 full-time workers said they shifted some staffers from full-time to part-time schedules so that they wouldn't qualify for health care. And another 4% said they were reducing the number of full-time employees they planned to hire because of the cost of health benefits.
"Despite all the debate about the so-called employer mandate...the actual employer response does not match the rhetoric," said Drew Altman, the foundation's president. "It's muted. It's modest. It cuts in different directions with no big shift to part-time employment."

Ooh, that's great! Let's all worship! :worthy:

I mean, wow, what a testimonial! "It's muted. It's modest."

Happy days are here again! :cheers:

Of course, the unions want this changed:

Another Obamacare mandate looming on the horizon is the so-called Cadillac tax, a hefty levy on high-cost plans. Companies will have to pay a 40% tax on the value of policies above a certain cap, which in 2018, is $10,200 for an individual and $27,500 for a family.

Could it be another executive order is on the way, changing the law? Or, will Obama let his friends suffer? Or, will he ask the beloved GOP Congress to help him out?

It's a cliffhanger! :freakout:
Statesman

Post 27 Sep 2015, 12:23 pm

FATE
This law will be a fiscal disaster. The costs will skyrocket to the point where we will either have to reduce our military to the Coast Guard (only) or get rid of Obamacare

Well, if you review the prognostications you made on this board, starting with this one .. you'll find that the ACA has out performed your wild predictions. By quite a bit.
Still got a navy right?
Ambassador

Post 28 Sep 2015, 8:31 am

rickyp wrote:FATE
This law will be a fiscal disaster. The costs will skyrocket to the point where we will either have to reduce our military to the Coast Guard (only) or get rid of Obamacare

Well, if you review the prognostications you made on this board, starting with this one .. you'll find that the ACA has out performed your wild predictions. By quite a bit.
Still got a navy right?

Smallest since WW One.

And, it's not been "good" for the economy. So, you lose.
Statesman

Post 28 Sep 2015, 11:16 am

Fate
Smallest since WW One

And why does that matter?
Isn't it the comparative strength to potential foes that matters...
Educate your self and have a look at this. You can see for your self that the US has 20 aircraft carriers...
The question is, is the enormous cost of the US military worth what it currently delivers.
http://www.globalfirepower.com/

fate
And, it's not been "good" for the economy. So, you lose
Another baseless assertion from Fate...
Ambassador

Post 28 Sep 2015, 12:34 pm

rickyp wrote:Fate
Smallest since WW One

And why does that matter?
Isn't it the comparative strength to potential foes that matters...
Educate your self and have a look at this. You can see for your self that the US has 20 aircraft carriers...
The question is, is the enormous cost of the US military worth what it currently delivers.
http://www.globalfirepower.com/

Oh boy. Yeah, like YOU know anything.

In case you haven't noticed, under this President, the US is getting pushed around like a tumbleweed in a sandstorm.

fate
And, it's not been "good" for the economy. So, you lose
Another baseless assertion from Fate...

No, it's not baseless. YOU, rickyp, said, "Obamacare will be good for the economy." You have never demonstrated that it HAS been good for the economy. Go ahead--demonstrate it.
Ambassador

Post 06 Mar 2016, 11:51 am

My insurance has gone from $1,046 per month to $1,400 per month ... it's not a particularly good insurance plan ... no adult dental, high deductible and copays, limited prescription benefits. Last year our out of pocket was $6,000 on top of the above insurance cost.
Ambassador

Post 06 Mar 2016, 2:59 pm

Ray Jay wrote:My insurance has gone from $1,046 per month to $1,400 per month ... it's not a particularly good insurance plan ... no adult dental, high deductible and copays, limited prescription benefits. Last year our out of pocket was $6,000 on top of the above insurance cost.

Aren't you thankful for big government?

I'm sorry, but . . . you are planning on supporting Clinton if Trump is the nominee, so you can expect more "help" like this. It's what Big Government does. It "helps."
Statesman

Post 06 Mar 2016, 3:15 pm

Fate
Aren't you thankful for big government?

What solutions offered by "limited government" have ever worked to
1) insure everyone has access to health care.
2) insured that that access is affordable for everyone
3) kept costs from escalating beyond average inflation rates?

If you wanted to look at places where "big government" has been able to deliver on these 3 goals...you'd have to look at places other than the US/. Well every other Western nation.
OR for points 1 and 2 at the Medicare system in the US. Which is also providing better cost containment than private insurance and a private health care system,