Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 27 May 2013, 7:25 am

and I just read the articles linked that suggest Obamacare is in fact popular. Haha, what a bunch of nonsense. The links pick some of what the plan hopes to do and asks if people support those items. It does not go into the cost to them, it does not go into OTHER details either. Because a majority supports this or that, the plan simply must be popular?

We could do something similar to just about anything and call it popular now couldn't we?
Do you support rebuilding the economy and creating jobs?
Do you want to reform government to serve the people?
Do you want to build healthy families, great schools and safe neighborhoods?
Do you want to create domestic energy independence?
Are you concerned about the increasing cost of food?
No doubt you answered yes to all the above ...Welcome to the Republican Party (2012 Republican Party Platform) Based on the way you determined popularity of Obamacare once you knew what it entailed, you must therefore support the Republican party! (doesn't work that way does it?)
Statesman

Post 27 May 2013, 9:58 am

Predictions of an Obamacare apocalypse seem a little less credible today, thanks to California.
On Thursday, officials in that state offered the first detailed glimpse of what consumers buying health benefits on their own can expect to pay next year. And from the looks of things, these consumers will be getting a pretty good deal.
Based on the premiums that insurers have submitted for final regulatory approval, the majority of Californians buying coverage on the state's new insurance exchange will be paying less—in many cases, far less—than they would pay for equivalent coverage today. And while a minority will still end up writing bigger premium checks than they do now, even they won't be paying outrageous amounts. Meanwhile, all of these consumers will have access to the kind of comprehensive benefits that are frequently unavaiable today, at any price, because of the way insurers try to avoid the old and the sick
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1132 ... hock-here#
Administrator

Post 28 May 2013, 5:55 am

hahahaha, ok, so a person who is POOR, who has no job, they now must buy insurance and it's only going to cost them $300.00 a month? Where are they going to find $300/month? It may be a "good deal" but that's like saying I can now afford to buy a BMW 6 series convertible if you slashed the price in half. The car would normally cost about $86,000 and for a 4 year loan my payment would be over $2000 per month, cut it in half and now I would pay just over $1000 per month. What a tremendous deal! But can I afford it?
nope, yet this is the exact same thing you want us to believe here. The poor do not have an extra $300 per month just laying around now do they?

You did NOTHING to support your side!
Thanks for playing along, looks like you will make a fine Republican after all.
Ambassador

Post 28 May 2013, 8:20 am

rickyp wrote:Maybe your famous "low information voters " have something to do with this?

Health-care reform is unpopular. But if you actually tell people what's in the health-care reform bill, then it becomes quite popular. A recent Newsweek poll found the same thing: "The majority of Americans are opposed to President Obama's health-care reform plan — until they learn the details."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-k ... pular.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... ction.html

people won't really make up their minds until they personally experience either something negative or positive from the reforms. One of the positives has been consumers receiving rebate checks from their health insurance providers...

There are too many negatives to count. If you just look at the promises, yes promises, the President made, this law is worse than doing nothing.
Statesman

Post 28 May 2013, 9:35 am

tom
ok, so a person who is POOR, who has no job

They would qualify for medicaid, would they not?

As to affordability, did you read the article. ? If not...
It’s hard to provide a precise figure on premiums in the new exchange, which is officially called Covered California, because so much depends on individual circumstances, plan selection, and region. But you can get a sense of the prices by looking at what a 40-year-old single person would pay, on average, for the second cheapest “silver” plan on the new market. Such a plan, which would cover about 70 percent of a typical person’s medical expenses, would go for about $300 a month or around $3,600 a year. That compares favorably with what insurance costs today. The typical employer plan, for example, presently costs about $5,500 a year. Employer plans are generally more generous than the silver plans would be, so you’d expect them to be more expensive—but not by such a large margin.

The point is that generally speaking the ACA is proviing good news to consumers as the plan rills into states that have adopted it. And states that are fighting it are likely to face a backlash as their citizens compare what they have ....with what adopting states offer...
Texas for example:
http://www.npr.org/2013/05/23/186303141 ... d-billions
Ambassador

Post 28 May 2013, 9:52 am

rickyp wrote:tom
ok, so a person who is POOR, who has no job

They would qualify for medicaid, would they not?

As to affordability, did you read the article. ? If not...
It’s hard to provide a precise figure on premiums in the new exchange, which is officially called Covered California, because so much depends on individual circumstances, plan selection, and region. But you can get a sense of the prices by looking at what a 40-year-old single person would pay, on average, for the second cheapest “silver” plan on the new market. Such a plan, which would cover about 70 percent of a typical person’s medical expenses, would go for about $300 a month or around $3,600 a year. That compares favorably with what insurance costs today. The typical employer plan, for example, presently costs about $5,500 a year. Employer plans are generally more generous than the silver plans would be, so you’d expect them to be more expensive—but not by such a large margin.

The point is that generally speaking the ACA is proviing good news to consumers as the plan rills into states that have adopted it. And states that are fighting it are likely to face a backlash as their citizens compare what they have ....with what adopting states offer...
Texas for example:
http://www.npr.org/2013/05/23/186303141 ... d-billions

You are ignorant of the facts. The law is not popular. We have heard since it passed that it would gain in popularity. That has not happened, yet you keep prophesying that it will.

Those with insurance will see their premiums go up. Some will see their hours go down so their employers won't have to provide insurance.

You keep hypothesizing, but I can link article after article showing the negative impacts of Obamacare.
Administrator

Post 28 May 2013, 9:52 am

If a person is POOR and thus approved for Medicaid, why do we need the ACA?

You asked Tom to compare what he has. I will tell you what I have, and you tell me if Obamacare is better than what I and my family currently have.

I pay zero per month for insurance
I pay a 20% co-pay on service
I have a catastrophic cap of $3000
I have $9 co-pay for 3 month med prescriptions.

You tell me, RickyP. Can Obamacare beat that? If it can personally help me and my family, I will change my tune. I do not want to hear about the POOR (You say Medicaid has them covered anyway). I do not want to hear about "undocumented" workers. I want a personal comparison.

After all... "When I look around"
Ambassador

Post 28 May 2013, 9:58 am

bbauska wrote:If a person is POOR and thus approved for Medicaid, why do we need the ACA?

You asked Tom to compare what he has. I will tell you what I have, and you tell me if Obamacare is better than what I and my family currently have.

I pay zero per month for insurance
I pay a 20% co-pay on service
I have a catastrophic cap of $3000
I have $9 co-pay for 3 month med prescriptions.

You tell me, RickyP. Can Obamacare beat that? If it can personally help me and my family, I will change my tune. I do not want to hear about the POOR (You say Medicaid has them covered anyway). I do not want to hear about "undocumented" workers. I want a personal comparison.

After all... "When I look around"

How do you pay $0 per month?
Administrator

Post 28 May 2013, 10:47 am

My plan sucks! I welcome a better solution but when I "look around" Obamacare does NOTHING to make mine better whatsovever. Does this mean their is zero good about it? Certainly not, some provisions are good but to claim the overall system is good because I like a few provisions is simply misleading. Show me how it will help me and my family, I am a great example because mine stinks (in my opinion) yet I have read it, I fully expect my plan to get worse over the next few years thanks to this plan that is "good for the economy".
Administrator

Post 28 May 2013, 10:58 am

I will answer that after RickyP does.
Administrator

Post 28 May 2013, 11:09 am

Good point, the VERY poor qualify for Medicaid. All others who are the working poor need to come up with $300/month (or more no doubt some are older and some need to pay for their entire family, the link does not mention how much a family plan will cost does it? only a 40 year old single person)

These working poor must fine $300/month!?

Yes, this will help some no doubt. But the average all others need to pay goes through the roof, the working poor can not afford this "deal" but you want to pint to the incredible few this will be good for and call it a win? Same as my car example, slash the price of an $86,00o car in half and yes, more will be able to afford it of course, but really how many can afford $1000/month car payments? Same here, how many working poor can afford $300+ per month? Doesn't matter if it's a deal or not does it? You can't get blood from a rock!
Administrator

Post 28 May 2013, 12:31 pm

I'm sure RickyP will get back to us about how the ACA is better for me with all the specifics on how it is cheaper specifically for me, and the catastrophic cap is lower, and there are free meds for me and my family.

Until then...
the answer is because I am retired military. It does not always work out better for everyone. Yes, I looked into it, and found the ACA wanting.

No, I don't have to like it...
Ambassador

Post 28 May 2013, 1:07 pm

Oh, it's so popular! Here we are about four years after it was passed and the plan is . . .

For Obama to sell it again!

The White House is gearing up for a massive campaign this summer that will cover all 50 states, plus Washington, D.C. And the president's legacy may hinge on whether it succeeds or fails.

The Affordable Care Act, or "Obamacare," has been through more life-and-death cliffhangers than a season finale of Homeland. After squeaker votes in Congress and a 5-4 ruling upholding the law at the Supreme Court, now there's another big hurdle: getting uninsured people to buy health care when it becomes available Oct. 1.

. . . There's another key part of this campaign: Sicker and older people without insurance may be eager to sign up Oct. 1. But to make the system work financially, young and healthy people who don't need much medical care have to get into the pool, too.

So you can expect administration officials around the country to give lots more commencement speeches this season, telling captive audiences of 20-somethings: Congratulations on your diploma. Now make sure to sign up for health coverage in the fall.

Yes, without the suckers, I mean young, healthy people who most likely won't use the insurance, especially not at the levels the government will mandate, the whole thing would come crashing down.

Without blackmailing companies, er, Kathleen Sebellius raising money as a private citizen from groups she just happens to regulate, the whole thing would come crashing down.

But, it's a good deal! It's just that 40% of Americans don't even know about it (according to NPR).
Ambassador

Post 28 May 2013, 6:00 pm

Ray Jay wrote:How do you pay $0 per month?
VA?
Administrator

Post 28 May 2013, 6:21 pm

I gave the answer above, but you are correct. It is retired military, and I can pick my doctor (or several!), and not have to use the VA if I don't want to. If i use the VA (which I don't), it would be 0% co-pay.