Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Statesman

Post 22 Jan 2012, 2:47 pm

Health care may not be a right in the US.., at least as specified in the constituion.....
but legally there is protection for everyone in gettng access to emergent care.....

The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions. Participating hospitals may only transfer or discharge patients needing emergency treatment under their own informed consent, after stabilization, or when their condition requires transfer to a hospital better equipped to administer the treatment. [2]
Administrator

Post 22 Jan 2012, 3:06 pm

My point is that the nebulous 9th and 10th have never been tested for 3 of Freeman2's 4 points. There has never been any Constitutional right to Food, Healthcare, and shelter. Are you aware of any?

I guess Emergency Care is up for debate as to what an emergency is. I have said I expect a hospital to provide "emergency" care. After I said that, Danivon brings up many instances of extremely unlikely cases of care that could be denied.

Triage and transfer...
Dignitary

Post 22 Jan 2012, 5:35 pm

Brad,

I am not claiming that the four rights are supported by the Constiution. It is just my opinion that when a country reaches a certain level of wealth that it becomes immoral for a country not to provide basic needs to alll of its citizens.After that, citizens complete on an equal basis for as much wealth as they can get, as high a standard of living they can get, etc. There is a certain floor that we wil not let you go below; after that, you are on your own.
Dignitary

Post 22 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

freeman2 wrote:I So Obama delivered on covering everone.

Except he didn't cover everyone. There will still be uninsured ranging anywhere from 19M to 23M depending on what source you wish to believe.