Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 29 Nov 2011, 8:36 am

This is a scary situation. I pray the British subjects and embassy staff come out of it unscathed.
Ambassador

Post 29 Nov 2011, 9:14 am

It seems that most of the staff had already left at the end of the working day, and hopefully all will be safe.

For some reason (historical, I guess) we get the blame for 'plots' against Iran, such as the murders of nuclear sciemtists a year ago.

There are suggestions that this is also about a power struggle in the regime, with Qassem Suleimani flexing his muscles.

I hope no-one acts to escalate this.
Ambassador

Post 29 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

The Foreign Secretary suggests that the staff are safe and that Iranian security forces had to act to protect them (from the Guardian

William Hague has warned Iran it faces "serious consequences" over the attack on the British embassy in Tehran.

Hundreds of protesters surged onto two compounds this afternoon, putting the safety of staff at risk and causing "extensive damage" to property, the foreign secretary said.

"Clearly there will be other, further, and serious consequences. I will make a statement updating parliament on this tomorrow [Wednesday]."

Iranian police protected Britain's ambassador and some staff earlier from a large crowd outside, Hague said.

He added: "There has been a confusing situation at times as to the whereabouts of certain staff. I wouldn't use the term hostage. Clearly there have been situations where the Iranian police have intervened to try to ensure the safety of our staff.