Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 08 Nov 2011, 3:27 pm

Oh, listening to Cain, he's not saying it's racially motivated. It's apparently about 'keeping a businessman out of the White House'.

Hmmm.
Dignitary

Post 08 Nov 2011, 8:35 pm

I think if I were a Republican strategist I would be advising Republicans to be careful in attacking women who come forward alleging sexual harassment. Republicans already face a gender gap (more men than women vote for Republicans on a percentage basis). Why alienate moderate women voters by attacking the women who allege that they were harassed by Cain? But hey, that's ok by me, if you must go ahead and complain about the liberal media bias--it can only help the Democrats.
Ambassador

Post 09 Nov 2011, 6:10 am

Of course Cain is innocent until proven guilty, but I'm getting that feeling of deja vu all over again. Politician is accused of something; politician denies it; more accusations; politician blames pick one (liberals, right wingers, racism, opportunism, people/media is anti-this or anti-that, etc.); turns out politician was lying.
Ambassador

Post 09 Nov 2011, 9:05 am

Ray Jay wrote:Of course Cain is innocent until proven guilty, but I'm getting that feeling of deja vu all over again. Politician is accused of something; politician denies it; more accusations; politician blames pick one (liberals, right wingers, racism, opportunism, people/media is anti-this or anti-that, etc.); turns out politician was lying.

Could be. On the other hand, if he is lying, it won't take long to know. He has basically drawn a line in the sand.

The news about the known accusers is, so far, rather helpful to Mr. Cain. These are not women without "interesting" histories. Now, whether or not any amount of dishonesty or even suspicion is enough to help Mr. Cain put this behind him, I would not want to guess.

I think this is likely to be one of those stories that, true or not, is political death by a thousand cuts.

However, back to the racial angle: how about David Gregory?

Ann Curry, NBC News: “He’s not stepping down, continuing to suck the air out of the narrative the Republican party really wants to tell. Does the party now wish he would just go away?”

David Gregory, NBC News: “Well there is no, you know, grand wizard in the party right now who can really force the issue. I’ve talked to Cain’s advisers in Iowa, they think their support is still strong there, that it’s not falling. There may be cracks in the foundation according to pollsters I’m talking to, that his numbers may be starting to shift but right now core support remains there.”

So … what’s the implication here? That the Democratic Party has “grand wizards” that can boot candidates out of presidential races against their will?

"Grand wizard" is, at least, a very unfortunate choice of term for "leader," don't you think?

His accusations a few months ago against Gingrich strike me as being overly race-sensitive. It seems to me that Gregory has a real problem with race. That seems typical of liberals. They are the ones claiming Cain's success proves conservative racism and then they turn around and use initially anonymous sources as if they were the Gospel. I can't recall any similar attacks on a Democrat running for President.
Statesman

Post 09 Nov 2011, 9:24 am

steve
That seems typical of liberals. They are the ones claiming Cain's success proves conservative racism and then they turn around and use initially anonymous sources as if they were the Gospel. I can't recall any similar attacks on a Democrat running for President
Who's claiming Cains' success proves conservative racism? Names and sources please... I'm sure there might be somebody but this is a new one to me... The only thing i've heard remotely along this lines is Anne Coulters, "Our Blacks are so much better than their blacks..."

If you're talking about the initially anonymous sources as the two women who filed harassment charges against Cain back in the ninties... Please remember that it was not they who released this information. And they have signed a confidentiality agreement after getting settlements (Well 1 has.,..the other it isn't clear yet.) The people responsible for leaking the story to Politico? Thats also unclear, but aren't Cains people claiming it was Perry's camp? Who went to Perrys camp with the info? Former execs at NRA or one of the women? Could perry have some admirers amongst the old NRA executives?
Its certain to Cain's camp that Politico got the story from Perry's camp second hand.
The problem with the Liberal media angle you have is that the genesis of the issue seems to be republican. (Unless you count the genesis of the sory as Cain's harrassment and the initial charges.)
BTW, Cain previously ran for Senate and apparently disclosed the original incident to his campaign staff then... (According to the Daily Show, my only other source of news except Fox news and the intertubes..) Isn't it strange how long it took for him to recall that when challenged this time?
Grand Wizard is a terrible choice of words though. I can just imagine his producer having a meltdown in the control room as the words came out...
Ambassador

Post 09 Nov 2011, 10:24 am

rickyp wrote:steve
That seems typical of liberals. They are the ones claiming Cain's success proves conservative racism and then they turn around and use initially anonymous sources as if they were the Gospel. I can't recall any similar attacks on a Democrat running for President
Who's claiming Cains' success proves conservative racism? Names and sources please...

No. I'm sick of this game. It's easy to google it and many liberals have said this. If you want to say I'm making it up, I will call you a liar. And, then I will google it to show you are lying. Stop being so lazy.

I'm sure there might be somebody but this is a new one to me... The only thing i've heard remotely along this lines is Anne Coulters, "Our Blacks are so much better than their blacks..."

Well then, do some work.

Its certain to Cain's camp that Politico got the story from Perry's camp second hand.
The problem with the Liberal media angle you have is that the genesis of the issue seems to be republican. (Unless you count the genesis of the sory as Cain's harrassment and the initial charges.)

Cain's camp has blamed just about everyone except Rosie O'Donnell. She might be next.
Statesman

Post 10 Nov 2011, 7:52 am

liberals say cain proves conservative racism

Thats the phrase i googled Steve . Before I posted.
All I got was listings of conservative blogs making the claim that Cain proves Conservatives are Not racist..
And one link to a statement by some guy named Toure similar to your "assertion". ...IS that the extent of the evideence you ahve? Toure?
I suspect you are in your echo chamber of conservative blogs. And they've ratcheted up one idiotic statement to represent the majority of their opponents .
It would be like ascerting that Coulter represented the majority of republican thought. When clearly shes a fringe nut.
I see you are sick of having to back up your assertions with sources .. But i don't see how this speaks ill of me. I only desire to know why you make the assertions you make. Or to understand if there is indeed some legitimate foundation for the way you think.
In this case, I haven't found much, except a reluctance on your part to rise to the challenge of proving your self. (having done so sucessfully once, doesn't alleviate the disciplined mind from always having to do so...)
Ambassador

Post 10 Nov 2011, 9:06 am

rickyp wrote:In this case, I haven't found much, except a reluctance on your part to rise to the challenge of proving your self. (having done so sucessfully once, doesn't alleviate the disciplined mind from always having to do so...)

Tell you what: I'm sick of your foolishness. You challenged me in another forum. I not only proved you wrong, but gave two examples cited by YOUR FAVORITE GURU!

I'm not doing that again for free. If you want to throw down some money, then do so. Challenge me. Make it worth my while. Say $25 per example of liberals claiming Cain's candidacy is the fruit of conservative racism?

If you googled and couldn't find it, then surely I can't, right? If I can't find one, I'll give you $25. Do we have a bet--$25 for each example I provide or if I can't find one I owe you $25?

Put up or shut up.
Statesman

Post 10 Nov 2011, 1:18 pm

Why is it foolish to ask you to substantiate your assertions?
Ambassador

Post 10 Nov 2011, 1:49 pm

rickyp wrote:Why is it foolish to ask you to substantiate your assertions?

Because I am able to do so, as I have demonstrated, no doubt, to your consternation. Or, have you forgotten that I quoted the sainted Nate Silver to prove you didn't know what you were talking about?

All I am saying here is if you want to challenge me, I'm not doing it for free.

Put up or shut up.
Ambassador

Post 11 Nov 2011, 9:35 am

Doctor Fate wrote:
rickyp wrote:Why is it foolish to ask you to substantiate your assertions?

Because I am able to do so, as I have demonstrated, no doubt, to your consternation. Or, have you forgotten that I quoted the sainted Nate Silver to prove you didn't know what you were talking about?

All I am saying here is if you want to challenge me, I'm not doing it for free.

Put up or shut up.

Maybe this will help poor Ricky.

Some Obama critics feel they have been wrongly painted as racist for the crime of opposing Obama. Some of their critique has been racist, some has been reasonable, some has been unreasonable but what would be leveled at any Democrat. Either way, Cain offers absolution and liberation from feeling like a racist. For how can the party be racist if there’s a Black frontrunner? I think many in the party genuinely like him and are won over by his chutzpah and respect his journey from Morehouse to CEO. Fair enough. But the ascension of Cain does not prove that racism is over. Just because the party has a cool, new Black friend it’s excited about, doesn’t erase decades of condescending opinions and harmful policies toward Blacks.

(MORE: Racism is Fun?)

Alas Cain, in particular, is not the best person on which to hang your proof that your party isn’t racist. A Black man who denies that racism has an impact on today’s world gives great comfort to people who wish for the race conversation, as opposed to racism, to be over. A Black man who thinks if you don’t have a job, it’s your fault gives comfort to those on one side of the class war. A Black man who wraps himself in minstrelish tropes, like wanting the Secret Service to call him Cornbread and breaking into song at campaign events, surely gives comfort to those who are still not comfortable seeing Blacks as Alpha men. A Black man who can lead in the polls for weeks without seriously convincing anyone that he’s going to win is like having your chocolate and not getting fat. Or getting the walk-on-the-wild-side thrill of dating a Black guy without worrying that you’ll ever be pressured to marry him.

Even if he’s not the nominee, Cain has already proven himself a psychologically transformative candidate for the GOP because the confidence that comes from having “dated” him is like a shield off of which all accusations will bounce. It’s impenetrable to white guilt. We’re not racist, they can now say without fear. One of our best candidates is Black.

Trust me. You saved yourself hundreds of dollars by shutting up.
Dignitary

Post 11 Nov 2011, 12:26 pm

Randy, the fact that there multiple accusers is relevant although of course not determinative. I find it also pertinent that two cases were settled apparently out of court. I assume that they were settled prior to litigation because if a lawsuit had been filed it would be a public record, would be discoverable by the media, and no such records have been produced. It has been my experience, having been a lawyer since 1993, that insurance companies do not settle cases prior to litigation unless they have find some evidence to substantiate the allegations. (I am assuming the restaurant association had insurance; either they would have insurance or enough resources to be self-insured) For instance, if Cain disputed the allegations and there was no corroboration, there would be no chance that they would offer any significant money to settle those lawsuits (my understanding was that these settlements were not nuisance settlements). Anyway, I think the fact that there were two claims settled pre-litigation is a significant factor, because that would be atypical insurance company behavior if they were unsubstantiated allegations.

Also, I am curious as to how a woman could act with regard to sexual harassment by a political candidate and not get attacked for being motivated by either money or political reasons. Two of the women in the Cain case reported it and achieved financial settlements. One women did not file a suit but reported it to friends at the time. I guess a woman is supposed to accept being sexually harassed and not do anything about it is that what conservatives are saying? I would hope not but it appears that if a woman were sexually harassed by Herman Cain then she must be motivated by money or politics. How is that fair to these women?
Statesman

Post 11 Nov 2011, 3:13 pm

steve
Because I am able to do so, as I have demonstrated, no doubt, to your consternation

Well you have once. And not to my consternation. I like to be able to see substantiation behind assertions because I can often learn something.
The fact that you once backed up an assertion deosn't mean you always can. That you seldom attempt to do so suggest to me that you don't like having to back up stuff you say.
In this case,. one article by a guy named Toure, is who you eventually sourced. And thats who i found too when I challenged you on your assertion. remember? .
rickyp
And one link to a statement by some guy named Toure similar to your "assertion". ...IS that the extent of the evidence you have? Toure?

But Steve, Toure does not stand for all Liberals. He's one guy, writing in TIME with one view point.
That the conservative blogs jumped all over it is not surprising. That the echo chamber it creates when you read several conservative blogs, convinces you that all Liberals think the same way is also not surprising.
But that you could only find Toure as an original source demonstrates the fallacy in your assertion.

And I got that by asking you to back up your assertion. So I learned something.
Ambassador

Post 11 Nov 2011, 3:40 pm

rickyp wrote:The fact that you once backed up an assertion deosn't mean you always can. That you seldom attempt to do so suggest to me that you don't like having to back up stuff you say.

Hmm, you have assumed the roles of both Mr. Pot and Mr. Kettle. Nice.

In this case,. one article by a guy named Toure, is who you eventually sourced. And thats who i found too when I challenged you on your assertion. remember? .

So, wait, you already linked a story dated . . . yesterday? I doubt that.

But Steve, Toure does not stand for all Liberals. He's one guy, writing in TIME with one view point.

That is some serious insight! Thank you for that. I shall treasure it. Since I only watch MSNBC, I was of the opinion that Toure was THE voice of the Left.

So, really, are YOU saying he is the only liberal to think like this?

If not, and think for just a moment before you respond, you are admitting . . . that I am right.

But that you could only find Toure as an original source demonstrates the fallacy in your assertion.

Where did I say I could only find him?

And I got that by asking you to back up your assertion. So I learned something.

Put up or shut up. Pay me and I will do your research for you.

I'll make it easy: $25 if I am wrong, $25 for each source if I am right. If you are so sure, then you have nothing to fear and $25 to gain.

However, I suspect you know you are wrong and just like to bark.

So, which is it? Will you man up and take the risk or will you slink away?
Ambassador

Post 12 Nov 2011, 5:42 pm

Once again, I salute your, um, caution, Ricky!

KAREN GRIGSBY BATES: When he tells his story, Herman Cain says a lot of the same things that have been preached in millions of black families since, well, Emancipation: work hard, save your money, get as much education as you can and make sure your children do, too. Despite that, he's gotten scant traction with black voters. Harvard Law professor Randall Kennedy has written about race in politics and says that's not a huge surprise.

RANDALL KENNEDY: Black people know that if Herman Cain had his way, their lives would be diminished. And they intuit that Herman Cain's policies are against their interests. . .

BATES: Jack White writes political analysis for TheRoot.com. [Bates doesn't note she's also written her Obama praise for them.] He believes Cain and his white supporters have struck a bargain.

WHITE: Basically, Herman Cain tells them what they want to hear about blacks, and in turn, they embrace him and say, see, that proves we aren't racist. He's even willing to be a minstrel for them, referring to himself sometimes as Cornbread, or quoting his father as speaking ungrammatically, as saying, you know, things like I does not care.

Still, I will offer the bet again. Or, are you done?

:grin: