Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 23 Aug 2011, 11:42 am

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/news/20110503/asthma-rates-on-the-rise-in-the-us

The important statement in the link above:
“Despite the fact that outdoor air quality has improved, we’ve reduced two common asthma triggers -- secondhand smoke and smoking in general -- asthma is increasing,’’ says Paul Garbe, DVM, MPH, chief of the CDC’s air pollution and respiratory health branch, in a news release. “While we don’t know the cause of the increase, our top priority is getting people to manage their symptoms better.”

So air quality has improved... Perhaps the statement after this one could shed some light...
Part of the reason, Garbe says, could be better diagnostic methods now in use.

Hmmm, could it be that the environment is doing better?
Administrator

Post 23 Aug 2011, 1:02 pm

According to our liberals,
These regulations will lead to cleaner air and less asthma and other respiratory problems.

But these same liberals admit our air is cleaner now than it was 40 years ago, yet the asthma and such is worse!?
If the air is cleaner now than 40 years ago and the problems are worse, why are we to believe further reductions will necessarily lead to BILLIONS of dollars in health savings?

...Liberal math doesn't add up.
Ambassador

Post 23 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

Machiavelli wrote:Steve: you've overlooked the broad benefits of Obama's policies to smiths, hostlers, carters, grooms, stableboys and knackers--all professions that have been all but destroyed by big oil. Even now, with Obama's reforms just underway, shovelling horse droppings is one of the few growth industries in our economy--no doubt explaining why Washington has fared relatively well.

My bad--total oversight on my part! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ambassador

Post 23 Aug 2011, 1:41 pm

Brad brought up the most salient point--"air quality has improved," but let me note a few other points.

rickyp wrote:steve
The EPA claims we will save up to $280 billion in health costs, yes BILLION, in 2014 as a result of their actions. You say I should just accept it. I say it's "dubious science."
The onus is not on me to disprove the claim. Its outrageous nature demands it be proven. Go ahead

The regulations, they say, will cost utilities up to $129 billion and force them to retire one-fifth of coal capacity.

Steve, you readily accept the industries claims, apparently, with no particular requriement that they prove their numbers to you ...

I rather think it would be up to the EPA to dispute industry claims, but you may do so if you feel the need.

Why is it that you haven't developed an equally sceptical view of industry? Could there be too much prejudice on your part to consider the issue fairly?

Because businesses operate to make money. Obviously, they are going to have to pay some money to meet these requirements. You've offered nothing to dispute their assertions but your own skepticism.

Meanwhile, Obama and Jackson have made their goals clear: they want to shut down the coal industry.

I don't know the specific details of either arguement. But the track record for industrie's dire predictions versus what happens after regulation occurs often, but not always, puts the lie to the exagerations. (see acid rain issue)

How about government? Does it ever exaggerate?

Btw, how many cities are underwater due to Global warming?

I readily admit to you that the claims on health care costs are probably somewhat difficult to estimate. However since 17% of your GDP is currently going toward health care costs, a $280 billion saving doesn't seem that outrageuos.(Kaiser institute say health care was $2.5 trillion in 2009)

Wow. So, even adjusting for inflation, you think it could save about 8% or so in a given year? You've been spending too much on hallucinogens.

How many patient vists due to out of control asthma, or heart attacks brought on by breathing problems would need to be averted in order to derive that saving? How many prescriptions used to control asthma or heart problems might need be excised? Breathing problems are chronic problems that cost an inordinate share of the total health care costs.

I'll bet you this is nowhere near 5 to 10% of the overall medical expenses in the US.

The study linked here looks at the way health care costs are consumed. 5% of the population accounts for 50% of costs... Cleaner air would certainly go some distance to allieviating some of the cost from chronic breathing problems..Thats intuitve . Or are you willing to argue that?

Prove that chronic asthma is 5 to 10% of all medical spending. You've not done that (that would be the $280B of the $2.5T). Furthermore, prove that all of the treatment those people require will go away with these plants and you will have proven your case.

Otherwise, you've got nothing.
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2011, 3:27 pm

Hmm, apparently, the President agrees with me. How novel!

President Barack Obama on Friday scrapped his administration's controversial plans to tighten smog rules, bowing to the demands of congressional Republicans and some business leaders.

Obama overruled the Environmental Protection Agency — and the unanimous opinion of its independent panel of scientific advisers — and directed administrator Lisa Jackson to withdraw the proposed regulation to reduce concentrations of ground-level ozone, smog's main ingredient. The decision rests in part on reducing regulatory burdens and uncertainty for businesses at a time of rampant uncertainty about an unsteady economy.

The announcement came shortly after a new government report on private sector employment showed that businesses essentially added no new jobs last month — and that the jobless rate remained stuck at a historically high 9.1 percent.

Apparently, there is a realistic bone in his body . . . somewhere.
Administrator

Post 03 Sep 2011, 6:13 am

Reminds me of a joke I recently heard:
While suturing a cut on the hand of a 75 year old Texas rancher, whose hand was caught in a gate while working cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man.

Eventually the topic got around to Obama and his bid to be our President.

The old rancher said, 'Well, ya know, Obama is a 'post turtle'.'

Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post turtle' was. The old rancher said, 'When you're driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a 'post turtle'.'

The old rancher saw a puzzled look on the doctor's face, so he continued to explain.

'You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, he doesn't know what to do while he is up there, and you just wonder what kind of a dumb ass put him up there!.'