Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 03 Oct 2011, 1:46 pm

Here's something big if you are willing to believe an oil man. It would also weaken Iran, Venezuela, and Russia.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 32438.html

The other reason for America's abundant supply of oil and natural gas has been the development of new drilling techniques. "Horizontal drilling" allows rigs to reach two miles into the ground and then spread horizontally by thousands of feet. Mr. Hamm was one of the pioneers of this method in the 1990s, and it has done for the oil industry what hydraulic fracturing has done for natural gas drilling in places like the Marcellus Shale in the Northeast. Both innovations have unlocked decades worth of new sources of domestic fossil fuels that previously couldn't be extracted at affordable cost.
When it was Mr. Hamm's turn to talk briefly with President Obama, "I told him of the revolution in the oil and gas industry and how we have the capacity to produce enough oil to enable America to replace OPEC. I wanted to make sure he knew about this."

The president's reaction? "He turned to me and said, 'Oil and gas will be important for the next few years. But we need to go on to green and alternative energy. [Energy] Secretary [Steven] Chu has assured me that within five years, we can have a battery developed that will make a car with the equivalent of 130 miles per gallon.'" Mr. Hamm holds his head in his hands and says, "Even if you believed that, why would you want to stop oil and gas development? It was pretty disappointing."

Washington keeps "sticking a regulatory boot at our necks and then turns around and asks: 'Why aren't you creating more jobs,'" he says. He roils at the Interior Department delays of months and sometimes years to get permits for drilling. "These delays kill projects," he says. Even the Securities and Exchange Commission is now tightening the screws on the oil industry, requiring companies like Continental to report their production and federal royalties on thousands of individual leases under the Sarbanes-Oxley accounting rules. "I could go to jail because a local operator misreported the production in the field," he says.

The White House proposal to raise $40 billion of taxes on oil and gas—by excluding those industries from credits that go to all domestic manufacturers—is also a major hindrance to exploration and drilling. "That just stops the drilling," Mr. Hamm believes. "I've seen these things come about before, like [Jimmy] Carter's windfall profits tax." He says America's rig count on active wells went from 4,500 to less than 55 in a matter of months. "That was a dumb idea. Thank God, Reagan got rid of that."

A few months ago the Obama Justice Department brought charges against Continental and six other oil companies in North Dakota for causing the death of 28 migratory birds, in violation of the Migratory Bird Act. Continental's crime was killing one bird "the size of a sparrow" in its oil pits. The charges carry criminal penalties of up to six months in jail. "It's not even a rare bird. There're jillions of them," he explains. He says that "people in North Dakota are really outraged by these legal actions," which he views as "completely discriminatory" because the feds have rarely if ever prosecuted the Obama administration's beloved wind industry, which kills hundreds of thousands of birds each year.

Mr. Hamm calculates that if Washington would allow more drilling permits for oil and natural gas on federal lands and federal waters, "I truly believe the federal government could over time raise $18 trillion in royalties." That's more than the U.S. national debt, I say. He smiles.
Dignitary

Post 03 Oct 2011, 3:54 pm

I don't know if I would go with a blank tax NFP's. Not all NFP's are the size of Harvard. Some are rather small and barely get by. Any taxation would be onerous. For example, I am on the Board of Directors of a group called Council Rock Coalition for Healthy Youth. It lives off of donations and government grants. If it was taxed, it would be out of business.

Rather, I think there needs to be a reformation of the NFP regulations. Something that places more limits on NFP's assets and value.
Dignitary

Post 03 Oct 2011, 6:57 pm

Come on Ray. That "article" is a great example of what's wrong with the Journal, yes it is just an interview, but there is no attempt to check out anything that this guy says: killing one bird (or is it 28?) What's the story behind that? $18 Trillion in royalties? More than the national debt? Are you kidding me? In the article they speculate that it might be wrong but if it's wrong even by half, that's pretty good. That is NOT journalism. That is poor blogging. The Journal's business news is still OK, but when it comes to opinion or when they give their pages to an oil man to give his opinion . . . is it true? Who knows?

That said, sure, more oil and gas produced domestically would be great: employ people, cut the account deficit, not enrich a bunch of goons in oil rich nations. But is the gov't really the problem here? I'm HIGHLY skeptical and the interview published in the WSJ does nothing to address that skepticism. Sounds more like the power of magical thinking.
Dignitary

Post 03 Oct 2011, 7:09 pm

Archduke Russell John wrote:I don't know if I would go with a blank tax NFP's. Not all NFP's are the size of Harvard. Some are rather small and barely get by. Any taxation would be onerous. For example, I am on the Board of Directors of a group called Council Rock Coalition for Healthy Youth. It lives off of donations and government grants. If it was taxed, it would be out of business.

Yes, most NFP corps are tiny little things like your local PTA, or some local watershed group, but many aren't. But you should know that if your NFP was taxed on profit and it didn't make any profit, it wouldn't pay income taxes, which is how it works for for-profit corps too. Income taxes never drive any corp out of business, because if they're not making money, they don't pay income taxes.

I dunno, but it seems to me that NFP corps should be using their revenues to further their mission every year. If they make so much that they actually make profit, and can't think of anything to spend it on, then yeah, they should be paying taxes on that profit.

And you'd be surprised. I've spent a lot of time at guidestar.org looking at tax forms of NFP corps over the years and it is now a required stop before I donate to any place. I am often shocked what I see there. Huge profits, or more disturbing, huge salaries.
Ambassador

Post 04 Oct 2011, 6:20 am

geojanes wrote:Come on Ray. That "article" is a great example of what's wrong with the Journal, yes it is just an interview, but there is no attempt to check out anything that this guy says: killing one bird (or is it 28?) What's the story behind that? $18 Trillion in royalties? More than the national debt? Are you kidding me? In the article they speculate that it might be wrong but if it's wrong even by half, that's pretty good. That is NOT journalism. That is poor blogging. The Journal's business news is still OK, but when it comes to opinion or when they give their pages to an oil man to give his opinion . . . is it true? Who knows?

That said, sure, more oil and gas produced domestically would be great: employ people, cut the account deficit, not enrich a bunch of goons in oil rich nations. But is the gov't really the problem here? I'm HIGHLY skeptical and the interview published in the WSJ does nothing to address that skepticism. Sounds more like the power of magical thinking.

Interviews are supposed to be in the interviewee's words so I don't think a slam of the WSJ makes sense here. He's the CEO of a $8 billion company that he founded 35 years ago. We all agree that some of what he says is inaccurate, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

I'm under the impression that there are huge restrictions in the US for oil drilling, particularly in Alaska. Whether or not those restrictions make sense, are you saying that the US Gov't is not preventing more domestic oil and gas production? I didn't think that was in dispute.
Statesman

Post 04 Oct 2011, 6:43 am

ray
Interviews are supposed to be in the interviewee's words so I don't think a slam of the WSJ makes sense here. He's the CEO of a $8 billion company that he founded 35 years ago. We all agree that some of what he says is inaccurate, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

I'm under the impression that there are huge restrictions in the US for oil drilling, particularly in Alaska. Whether or not those restrictions make sense, are you saying that the US Gov't is not preventing more domestic oil and gas production? I didn't think that was in dispute.

Interviews may be the interviewees words...however a little balance might be worthwhile. Or better, the interviewer might challenge some of the claims during the course of the interview. . His complaint about "under reporting of oil production being the responsibility of the field operative and could get him in jail?"
The Koch Brothers got themselves fined massively for underreporting billions in oil production. That not only allowed them to pay lower royalties to the federal Government but also stole from the land owners. (Mostly natives) . They trained their field operatives in the techniques, and used the same dodge that this fellow is talking about. "Not our fault". But fraud is fraud.
The reason that the Sarbanes Oxley made it the responsibility of the parent corporation to ensure all transactions were accurate, and accurately reported is that it stopped companies from covering through "subsidiaries" or "temporary contractors" and avoiding responsibility for their actions. As soon as you hear a corporation complaining about having to do due diligence to ensure that their claims are accurate you should hear warning bells. It means they'd rather not be scrutinized, not because of the often miniscule cost of the due diligence but the enormous cost to their bottom line because illegal practices are being shut down.
Oil and Gas production in the Far North might be delayed. But then, oil and Gas producers are having a hard time making a case that they could both avoid pollution disasters and that they have any way to clean up a disaster in the Far North if it should occur. Surely something has to be learned from the lack of preparedness in the Gulf ? The damage done by the Exxon Valdez was a pimple compared to that which might be caused by the possibile rupture of a deep water well like the New Horizon in the high arctic. The ecology of the Far North is far slower to heal from a similar disaster. And the oil and gas industries are even more unprepared for Arctic Oceans than they were in the warm waters of the gulf.
Perhaps the interviewer could have asked something along these lines and waited for a response.
This guy could have just taken out an advertisement... The wsj is now a Murdoch newspaper Ray. haven't you noticed the difference?
Dignitary

Post 04 Oct 2011, 7:05 am

I don't know. I know that the gov't leases a lot of land for oil and gas production. I know they don't off the east coast and in portions of Alaska. I don't know how that's changed over time. Do you? Clearly, there is a long history of producing oil on gov't owned land and that underpaying royalties is so common it even has a name "the Koch Method" http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-02/koch-brothers-flout-law-getting-richer-with-secret-iran-sales.html

Despite what this very successful oil man says in the WSJ, could drilling more oil solve be a big-time fix to short-term economic problems? It's hard to imagine how, and the tone of his interview is one of magical thinking. 18 Trillion in royalties. Give me a break. It would be directionally a good thing, but is it one of the big ideas that you were calling for?

Now, I'm all for making small steps and there have been many small steps floated, here, by Obama, by others, but your criticism of Obama's plan is that it's one note. My point is that outside monetary policy (that gun is out of ammo) and stimulus (the one note) what else can the gov't do? Outside the magical thinking, of course.
Ambassador

Post 04 Oct 2011, 7:49 am

I think the phrase "short term economic problems" is problematic. At issue is long term economic strategy. Short term thinking is the problem. To give business tax breaks in 2012 and paying for it by increasing taxes in 2013 (as if business people cannot see that far in advance) is silly. A temporary cash for clunkers or housing credit is similarly bad policy.

You have to approach economics like it is a game of Civilization. You build infrastructure. You create rational economic policies. Short term stimulus has been tried for at least 40 years with short term results at best. You have to tackle productivity. You have to make long term rational decisions based on markets.

We have long term economic issues. If Obama is reelected, I'm concerned that we will have this recession for 6 more years. In 2008 I was very relaxed that either president would solve the problem because the cyclical economy would take care of it. But now that we are still in a global recession, we have to approach this as a long term problem.

In addition to free trade agreements, and lower marginal rates (with the closing of deductions), drill baby drill may be the best short, medium, and long term solution that is out there.
Ambassador

Post 04 Oct 2011, 7:51 am

Ricky:
The wsj is now a Murdoch newspaper Ray. haven't you noticed the difference?

I haven't. I make love to (I mean read) the WSJ everyday and I honestly haven't noticed a change. Is there any objective evidence that there has been one?
Dignitary

Post 04 Oct 2011, 8:21 am

Ray Jay wrote:I think the phrase "short term economic problems" is problematic.

Sorry, I thought that was your point. It was never mine. I agree with you that the longer-term is very important, more than short-term impacts. The reason I think I was confused is that you were saying that Obama is "one note". Not sure where that comes from. I don't follow it too closely, but I know there is the goal of doubling exports, lowering foreign energy dependence, reforming the SEC, trade agreements, and finally doing something about health care, which criticize the details of the current plan you will, it's at least a change from our current completely farkocktah system.
Ambassador

Post 04 Oct 2011, 8:37 am

geojanes wrote:
Ray Jay wrote:I think the phrase "short term economic problems" is problematic.

Sorry, I thought that was your point. It was never mine. I agree with you that the longer-term is very important, more than short-term impacts. The reason I think I was confused is that you were saying that Obama is "one note". Not sure where that comes from. I don't follow it too closely, but I know there is the goal of doubling exports, lowering foreign energy dependence, reforming the SEC, trade agreements, and finally doing something about health care, which criticize the details of the current plan you will, it's at least a change from our current completely farkocktah system.

well if you are going to use Yiddish I'll have to respond ... I would think it is pronounced more like verkaktah.

Those are the right goals, but where are the right policies. He hasn't sent the 3 free trade agreements to Congress and they've been on the shelf since he arrive in the White House. With health care he bent the cost curve in the wrong direction.
Dignitary

Post 04 Oct 2011, 1:14 pm

Ray Jay wrote:well if you are going to use Yiddish I'll have to respond ... I would think it is pronounced more like verkaktah.

I see from my internet search that your spelling is far more common. Either way, it's a great word.
Ambassador

Post 04 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

after I wrote it I was thinking fahkactah may even be better. We all get fuhblunged sometime. When growing up, I recall my father saying that my ideas were kakamame , but that translates into "sh*t-mother", so perhaps I've misremembered quite a few words.
Dignitary

Post 05 Oct 2011, 8:40 am

Ray, you might like the blog of Tom Evslin. Here's a link to a piece he wrote on regulation and rare earth mining.

http://blog.tomevslin.com/2011/10/jobs-go-awaiting-or-to-china.html

I find his ideas are in-line with some of the themes here, but not full of magical thinking, faith-based ideology that you find with many on the right.