Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 31 Jul 2011, 5:27 pm

Um, Neal, you're really advancing the ball! Your link suggests "The War in Somalia" ended in 2009.

My "msm talking point" is actually about a famine and efforts to send relief. Please educate yourself. Have a look at the pictures, maybe those will help you.

Displacement is compounding matters, with more than 500,000 refugees now in huge camps along Somalia's border with Kenya and Ethiopia, according to international relief organization Oxfam.

Many in Somalia, having lost their livestock to the drought, have left their farms—and the clutch of al Shabaab in some instances—in the southern rural areas to try their luck in makeshift camps in Mogadishu. One such camp, on grounds where capital residents once grazed cattle, now holds thousands of refugees in huts made of sticks, plastic and tattered clothes.

Muslimo Hudow, 37 years old, says she fled with her seven children, age 2 to 12, from a remote village in Bakool. They walked for 15 days, covering more than 125 miles, before catching a ride on a truck for the remaining 160 miles to the capital and this camp.

"The drought wiped out everything we had," said Ms. Hudow, who said her family lost its 12 goats and 18 cows, their only source of livelihood. "This is a catastrophe like I have never seen."

Three of her children, she said, died of malnutrition since arriving in the camp.

Others are said to have been prevented by al Shabaab from trying to leave the crisis areas. "Al Shabaab does not allow people to freely move and look for a better life," said Hassan Mohamed, a displaced father in the Mogadishu camp. He said his family escaped from an al Shabaab camp in the darkness of night.

Al Shabaab says aid groups have exaggerated the crisis and exploited it for political aims, by undermining the militants' control over parts of the population and its efforts to propagate its view of an Islamic society. When al Shabaab expelled aid groups in the past, it argued that food aid distorted markets and gave local farmers less incentive to work.

That is some "talking point."
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 31 Jul 2011, 8:45 pm

The drought is real, the suffering is real, but it's 2011, and it's pretty easy to get food aid to starving people, that is unless their society is so dysfunctional that it can't interface with basic transport technology.

So yes the US military adventures that have wrecked the country are front and central to this problem. The al Shabaab increased as a consequence of intervention.
Ambassador

Post 01 Aug 2011, 4:47 am

But that's no reason to absolve al Shabaab of responsibility, right. By the same token we don't absolve The Islamic Republic of Iran for its attrocities because of US intervention in the 50's. I know this has been a common occurrence in the post colonial world; basically we give a pass to despots who end up committing attrocities their predecessors would not even imagine. I think that you have to hold all leaders responsible for their actions.
Ambassador

Post 01 Aug 2011, 9:22 am

Neal Anderth wrote:The drought is real, the suffering is real, but it's 2011, and it's pretty easy to get food aid to starving people, that is unless their society is so dysfunctional that it can't interface with basic transport technology.

Or, if it's dysfunctional and has an effective militant Islamic army willing to cause innocent women and children to die. That is not America's fault. Al Shabaab could let the supplies through, right? What would they lose?

Post 01 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

I'm not sympathetic to al Shabaab in the least, I despise them. I wish you (those supporting interventionists policies) hadn't made it easier for them to take root there.
Ambassador

Post 01 Aug 2011, 4:24 pm

Neal Anderth wrote:I'm not sympathetic to al Shabaab in the least, I despise them. I wish you (those supporting interventionists policies) hadn't made it easier for them to take root there.

Neal, is al Shabaab responsible for the attacks they are conducting or is the US? That is a yes or no question.

Post 01 Aug 2011, 10:56 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
Neal Anderth wrote:I'm not sympathetic to al Shabaab in the least, I despise them. I wish you (those supporting interventionists policies) hadn't made it easier for them to take root there.

Neal, is al Shabaab responsible for the attacks they are conducting or is the US? That is a yes or no question.

You might want to check your math on that.
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 5:55 am

huh, what?
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 8:17 am

Ray Jay wrote:huh, what?

:sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

One can only suppose that Neal is trying to be funny. The alternative is that he misunderstood a yes or no question.
Administrator

Post 02 Aug 2011, 8:41 am

The "yes or no question" Doctor Fate asks gives two option; the US or Al Shabaab.

Which one is yes, and which one is no?
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 9:06 am

bbauska wrote:The "yes or no question" Doctor Fate asks gives two option; the US or Al Shabaab.

Fine. I must recognize Neal's limitations. It's an either/or question.

Who is responsible for the attacks on famine relief efforts, al Shabaab or the United States?
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 9:14 am

I just don't get this. The topic at hand is Norway terrorism, and we started to discuss "Islamic" terrorism vs. "Christian" terrorism. Although I generally share Danivon's sensibilities, I do think that Steve raises a good point in that there are specific self defined Islamic states (or Islamic quasi-states) that sponsor terrorism. Iran is a good example. Al Shabaab is another one. I would add Hamas and Hezbollah, but we don't have to go there. Certainly no one is accusing Norway of being a Christian State that sponsors terrorism.

Why can't Neal just say what he thinks instead of being so elliptical about it? Is he saying that (a) the US sponsors terrorism, or (b) the US is a Christian country or (c) the US is a Christian country that sponsors terrorism, or (d) there's some sort of moral equivalency to the US's less than perfect foreign policy and al Shabaab's desire to starve people for its own political agenda, or (e) those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, or (f) al Shabaab is the result of US former meddling and therefore we will hold the US responsible. Regardless of your opinion, you always get points for expressing it openly, honestly, and respectfully.
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 10:06 am

Doctor Fate wrote:
bbauska wrote:The "yes or no question" Doctor Fate asks gives two option; the US or Al Shabaab.

Fine. I must recognize Neal's limitations. It's an either/or question.
So the answer can't be "both", then? Or even "neither" (perhaps it's not Al Shabaab who are attacking convoys (is anyone actually attacking them at present, or is there just a threat to?), but other groups who are in the same area?

Actually, as Ray Jay has noted, the subject of the thread was Norway, not Somalia, and the threat of the far right, not just of Islam.

Post 02 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

I hold individuals responsible for their actions and for the actions of the groups to which they belong. Al Shabaab has clearly inhibited food aid to people in need. They are responsible for doing that. The US is responsible for the unintended consequences of meddling. Is that a big issue? I say yes, as the cause of the deaths is from the inability to get food aid into the area. And al Shabaab's rise in the region coincided with the increased instability as the US fomented war. This drought and famine was a major issue all the way back to January 2010, at least as far as I recall it coming up in the news.

It only falls into this thread as DF brought up the children that were dying of starvation as a reason to be more concerned about Muslim extremism. It's just not a great example given the myriad of fingerprints on the problem. And now the government with the assistance of the MSM are trying to hold out the despicable actions of Al Shabaab as reason for us to be there and be more involved.
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 12:16 pm

Neal Anderth wrote:I hold individuals responsible for their actions and for the actions of the groups to which they belong. Al Shabaab has clearly inhibited food aid to people in need. They are responsible for doing that.

Now, if you could just stop there.

The US is responsible for the unintended consequences of meddling. Is that a big issue? I say yes, as the cause of the deaths is from the inability to get food aid into the area. And al Shabaab's rise in the region coincided with the increased instability as the US fomented war. This drought and famine was a major issue all the way back to January 2010, at least as far as I recall it coming up in the news.

So, to be clear, it is your position that the US was wrong to enter and wrong to leave?

You'll certainly answer that by claiming you did not say we were wrong to leave. However, once we were there, the only way to prevent the rise of Al Shabaab would have been to remain.

Of course, that would be a problem, since our involvement in the last several years has only been a few air campaigns. How, exactly, did that lead to the rise of Al Shabaab? Are you going back to the 90's for this?

It only falls into this thread as DF brought up the children that were dying of starvation as a reason to be more concerned about Muslim extremism. It's just not a great example given the myriad of fingerprints on the problem.

Yet, there are no "fingerprints" other than Al Shabaab attacking relief efforts. That's why it is a great example. When you have evidence the US is involved, you'll have something. Until then, it's just part of your paleo-conservatism/isolationist worldview.

And now the government with the assistance of the MSM are trying to hold out the despicable actions of Al Shabaab as reason for us to be there and be more involved.

When you first put your foot in your mouth and got involved in this thread, you accused me of using an MSM talking point. Here you say the MSM is trying to get us (USA) involved. I clearly am not and therefore not mimicking whatever you claim the MSM is doing.