Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 1:12 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:Taken to its logical end, virtually no minority should be feared then. If they can't wipe us out, then they're no big deal.
Ahh, the 'taken to the logical end' fallacy. Yet another twisting of what I am saying. Let me be clear, seeing as you can't help but insert insinuation into anything I say:

I regard white nationalist/race warrior/fascist terrorists as a threat.
I regard separatist nationalist terrorists as a threat
I regard Islamist terrorists as a threat
I regard anarchist/leftist terrorists as a threat

I have at no point said otherwise. What I will say, however, is that there seems to be a bit of a problem with blind-spots. We should be looking out for all of these. Our governments need to be wary of all of these, to varying extents. Largely because it's not the ideology that is itself the threat (you can be a non-violent white supremacist, separatist, Islamist or anarchist , after all), but the terrorism.

Deny it all you want. It is your ideology, not the lack of a threat, that makes you equate the two.
If you had a clue what my ideology actually was, I'd bother to respond. What you have instead is a lovely caricature of me that you love to argue against. Still you haven't noticed that he's made of straw.

Still, you just labelled every Muslim on the planet as a potential violent world-taking-over nutter. So now I really must back away slowly and leave you to calm down a bit.

No, you jumped to that conclusion. However, there are significant numbers who know who the terrorists are and do nothing about them. There are others who are potential recruits. What that number is, I don't know. When you're talking about more than a billion people, a small percentage is fairly significant in terms of the death and damage they can inflict.
There are about a billion white people, and a small percentage are white supremacists. The hardcore hope to attract more of us to support them, and more supporters into action. I'm not convinced that many members of organisations like the BNP or EDL would hand over someone in their midst they thought may be planning violent attacks. Maybe enough would. When it comes to more extreme groups like the BPP (who I have, unfortunately, had contact with), I'm even less confident.

Breveik had been making statements all over the internet about impeding violence (not, of course, giving the game away that he personally had this planned), there has been discussion about stockpiling weapons (Pam Geller removed that snippet from something she published) etc. Did anyone of his peers go to the authorities and point to Breveik as a potential danger?

Did any of the militia around McVeigh and his conspirators report them?
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 1:12 pm

Ok, people. can we agree Al Shabaab are disreputable Islamists who are imperiling lives in a famine, that there may be some blame to the Kenyan and Ethiopian forces who (with US assistance and backing) tried to tackle Al Shabaab, but that ultimately, none of them are directly relevant to the events in Norway?

Pretty please?
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

danivon wrote:There are about a billion white people, and a small percentage are white supremacists. The hardcore hope to attract more of us to support them, and more supporters into action. I'm not convinced that many members of organisations like the BNP or EDL would hand over someone in their midst they thought may be planning violent attacks. Maybe enough would. When it comes to more extreme groups like the BPP (who I have, unfortunately, had contact with), I'm even less confident.

"White" is not an ideology. If you want to make a decent comparison, it has to be based on ideology.

Did anyone of his peers go to the authorities and point to Breveik as a potential danger?

Islamists are not loners. Breivik was--apparently by design.

"A couple of my friends have their suspicions," he wrote. "I have managed to channel these suspicions far away from relating my political convictions. Instead, they suspect that I am playing WOW (the computer game World of Warcraft)... and a couple of them believe that I have chosen semi-isolation because of some alleged homosexual relationship which they suspect I am trying to hide."

Such an idea was "hilarious" he said, as he was "100% hetero."

Breivik makes clear in his journal that he deliberately chose a social circle he believed would not suspect and would not get in his way. His descriptions of his friends are sometimes affectionate, sometimes terrifyingly cold. He wrote about one friend, Marius, who "was a fireman, which is quite ironic as I will soon ensure he gets his hands full."

"I ... only corresponded with moderate people who had no clue whatsoever about my clandestine activities," he wrote.

Based on what I've read, I don't know who could have reported him. Contrast that with, oh, I don't know, OBL. Do you think no one knew where he was?

Read that question carefully. It's the equivalent of "Did any of the Japanese hierarchy tip off the US about Pearl Harbor?"
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 2:04 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:"White" is not an ideology. If you want to make a decent comparison, it has to be based on ideology.
'Muslim' is a belief system, but it's far from being a united ideology, so I think it's a reasonable comparison.

Islamists are not loners.
Some are. Other terrorists are not. You think that the world really is this simple to 'type' entire groups containing huge numbers of people?

Read that question carefully. It's the equivalent of "Did any of the Japanese hierarchy tip off the US about Pearl Harbor?"
So you do see a threat from the American militia movement, then?
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 2:16 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:"White" is not an ideology. If you want to make a decent comparison, it has to be based on ideology.
'Muslim' is a belief system, but it's far from being a united ideology, so I think it's a reasonable comparison.

Islamists are not loners.
Some are. Other terrorists are not. You think that the world really is this simple to 'type' entire groups containing huge numbers of people?

Oy.

We often hear of "lone wolf" terrorists of the Islamist persuasion. A few days later, they turn out not to be so lonely.

Still, trying to reason with you is like wrestling the wind--tiring and unproductive.
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

I'll take that as a 'yes' then.
Ambassador

Post 02 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

danivon wrote:I'll take that as a 'yes' then.

I'll answer you with you:

Yet another twisting of what I am saying.