Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 03 Oct 2023, 9:37 am

That's accurate about dementia being a progressive thing. The big indicator to me is being able to carry on detailed conversations. Respond to wide ranging questions. Answers get shorter. My mom has had it diagnosed and my Dad didnt but he got less verbal. They stop allowing Biden to do that, deal with the press...that'll be a big tell if that ever happens.
Administrator

Post 03 Oct 2023, 12:59 pm

Agreed. My grandmother got so angry in her final weeks. A prim and proper woman became a swearing, object throwing, bitter woman.

I didn't see her in those final days. I much preferred the memories of her and I making 360 jam filled sugar cookies for my first unit out of boot camp. 168 sailor each got 2 cookies. We had a fun evening.
Administrator

Post 03 Oct 2023, 1:01 pm

BTW, this is the perfect reason for a democratic primary debate, so there is no surprise during the general election.

Could you imagine the chaos? Biden goes to debate the Republican nominee, and shows onset dementia? Those on the Left would be asking to replace the nominee! It is too late by then!
Dignitary

Post 03 Oct 2023, 4:38 pm

bbauska wrote:Could you imagine the chaos? Biden goes to debate the Republican nominee, and shows onset dementia? Those on the Left would be asking to replace the nominee! It is too late by then!

This terrifies me, and it's not just the risk of dementia. It's all the health risks of being 80 years old. He could drop dead, it happens, and then what? Ooops, too late? Honestly, the democratic party is just a big sack of crap for putting the nation in this position.
Administrator

Post 03 Oct 2023, 7:25 pm

I must admit, the idea of Biden dropping dead (although sad in his death) stimulates the schadenfreude in me.

I can just see Carville losing his mind on MSNBC.
Adjutant

Post 03 Oct 2023, 11:48 pm

Delete
Last edited by freeman3 on 04 Oct 2023, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador

Post 04 Oct 2023, 5:21 am

I keep having the non-partisan fantasy that both Biden and Trump pass away.

I believe that both are showing signs of aging and beginning stage of dementia. Given that choice, I would prefer Biden as someone who can be handled and told what to do (which is happening to an extent now). Biden hires decent people such as Blinken, Austin, and Yellen. These are smart professionals no matter what your ideology. They are running policy quite a bit now

Trump cannot work with others and believes he is better than anyone else. He can't hire good people and they don't last when he does. That's a very dangerous combination to say the least.

I agree with Bbauska that there are many legitimate criticisms of Biden and the Democrats. I also agree with Freeman than in the end it will be a choice and I will vote for anyone over Trump.
Adjutant

Post 04 Oct 2023, 6:54 am

Ray Jay wrote:I keep having the non-partisan fantasy that both Biden and Trump pass away.

I believe that both are showing signs of aging and beginning stage of dementia. Given that choice, I would prefer Biden as someone who can be handled and told what to do (which is happening to an extent now). Biden hires decent people such as Blinken, Austin, and Yellen. These are smart professionals no matter what your ideology. They are running policy quite a bit now

Trump cannot work with others and believes he is better than anyone else. He can't hire good people and they don't last when he does. That's a very dangerous combination to say the least.

I agree with Bbauska that there are many legitimate criticisms of Biden and the Democrats. I also agree with Freeman than in the end it will be a choice and I will vote for anyone over Trump.

Agree with this analysis. But the deeper problem in the Repub Party is this preference among the base for authoritarians. The idea that someone like Romney could win the nomination would be absurd nowadays. Somehow the Repub Party has got to come back from the ledge...
Administrator

Post 04 Oct 2023, 7:28 am

The extremes of both sides are problematic.

I don't hope both pass away, but an election without either one is a reality I would pray for (and do!)
Adjutant

Post 04 Oct 2023, 4:44 pm

"On a particularly sensitive matter, McCarthy mocked Biden’s age and mental acuity in public, while privately telling allies that he found the president sharp and substantive in their conversations — a contradiction that left a deep impression on the White House."

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/0 ... l-00119933

This. Other than what we see in public--which is not a full picture--we don't know for sure Biden's mental status. But it has been the Repubs' strategy to attack him and use any mistake in memory to show he is senile. And people are bound to assume there is something there when Repubs say it enough. But besides the fact that he can still handle himself in public, there is also the fact that he has been pretty deft in passing legislation with a bare majority and supporting Ukraine and I don't think that would be possible if he were not mentally still sharp in private...
Adjutant

Post 04 Oct 2023, 4:50 pm

And if you question Politico's reporting where are the stories about Biden having lost it in his private negotiations/meetings with Republican or Dem' pols?
Administrator

Post 05 Oct 2023, 4:54 am

Freeman,
We agree that we don't know. Why don't we know? Could it be because he spent the election in his basement. Or his handlers don't let him speak with the press?

For America's sake I want the POTUS to succeed. You and I are in agreement that there is a concern. The best way to assuage this concern is to have the POTUS come out and have an open discussion with someone (Bret Baier?, I consider him fair) without cue cards, teleprompters and a preset script. Just talk.

You are right that the left and right are both to blame. I have been saying that for quite a while.
Adjutant

Post 05 Oct 2023, 9:44 am

Well, I am not saying the Dems are perfect, but I don't agree that it's a both sides equivalency here. The Repub Party probably needs to be dissolved and a new more middle right instead of far right party takes its place.

As for Biden being hidden, here is a longish interview of him. I got through the first five minutes maybe (have to get moving) but you be the judge...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CmekpMxhFmg
Administrator

Post 05 Oct 2023, 11:14 am

Well, I wouldn't go the other way either. I don't want to dissolve any party because the people need to see the stark differences between all three parties. (Democratic, Republican and Libertarian) If the Democrats become too anti-police, it will hurt their brand. If the Republicans are too far right (authoritarian) it will (and should!) affect their brand. Libertarians have to show they are responsible enough to lead, and not just let things happen.

These are major differences in the way that the parties view responsibilities to the people. The flexible middle population is what decides elections.

I am skeptical because of MSNBC doing the interview. I do not know if it was scripted. Biden looked fair enough. It did not change my perception that he does need to show what he can do with a interviewer that might not be in agreement with his views. This is exactly why the President should be having a debate with Kennedy. It takes away the unknown. If the Democratic National Committee is afraid of that, well, that question on Biden's acuity will be learned soon enough.
Ambassador

Post 06 Oct 2023, 1:49 pm

freeman3 wrote:Well, I am not saying the Dems are perfect, but I don't agree that it's a both sides equivalency here. The Repub Party probably needs to be dissolved and a new more middle right instead of far right party takes its place.

As for Biden being hidden, here is a longish interview of him. I got through the first five minutes maybe (have to get moving) but you be the judge...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CmekpMxhFmg

For me, this did not at all inspire confidence.