Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 05 Mar 2024, 8:09 am

Freeman, it sounds like you are wanting states to have the right to overrule federal issues. Do you feel the same way about Texas and the dispute with the Federal government concerning border security?

What is your perception of Kagan, Sotomayor, and Jackson? Are they part of the "Conservative Cabal"?

Personally, I do not have a problem with a state exerting it's authority concerning elections. If the residents of that state do not like it, then change the politics of that state of leave to another state that meets your way of thinking. I want Texas to be able to defend itself as it sees fit. If the residents of Texas do not like what Gov. Abbott (et. al.) is doing, then vote them out.

Give the states freedom to do what they want. If you don't like it, move.

I did not think the Supreme Court is needing to disbanded (from Keith Olberman) when it made decisions that opposed what I thought. That is maturity. Crying and wanting to disband anything that doesn't meet a personal way of thinking is immature and reminds me of a brat throwing a fit, kicking and screaming on the floor. It has been drifting this way for years. If you don't get your way, scream at the sky, whine, try to change the electoral college, remove the chance to vote for a candidate, disband the US Supreme Court, remove any chance to speak against an issue (calling it "Hate Speech") and change the rules of the Senate.
Adjutant

Post 05 Mar 2024, 10:38 am

Abbott is infringing on the federal perogative over immigration in my opinion. But we'll see what the courts decide about it.

Anyway, I didn't whine; I analyzed the case. I'm a lawyer, I have 30 years of experience.

And nothing I said indicates that I'm a State's rights advocate. But I am an "insurrectionist shouldn't be able to run for president" advocate. Clearly, the clause barring an insurrectionist from holding office should be enforceable in some manner. And the US Supreme did not provide a mechanism for its enforcement. That's rewriting the Constitution. Now if you want to examine the decision and argue why it's correct based on constitutional law, please feel free.

As far as the Supreme Court goes, obviously people have different opinions on the court depending on how decisions go. That being said, this court has undercut its respect/legitimacy in multiple ways: (1) overruling/undercutting precedent too frequently and without justification, (2) multiple justices inappropriately (Thomas, Aliso, possibly Kavanaugh) receiving financial gifts/support from interested parties, (3) the lack of ability to police corruption in the Supreme Court because the only avenue is impeachment which of course is impossible, and (4) the stacking of the Supreme Court through the machinations of McConnell not considering Garland, and the Federalist Society and conservative donors pushing extreme candidates (not particularly well-qualified) who are beholden to people behind their advancement, and Trump appointing these candidates who got through because you no longer need a 60 vote approval (changed by McConnell efforts). I am not aware of any similar attempt to intentionally pack the court like this from liberals. Please feel free to point to liberals doing this.

it's not whining to be concerned about a court that has been compromised like this. You would to think we would have a range of left of center and right of center justices who are independent and beholden to no one. And that's not the case with this court and in my opinion it needs to be reformed.
Administrator

Post 05 Mar 2024, 2:43 pm

My apologies, Freeman.

I NEVER meant you specifically. I meant you as those who have those position. I apologize for improper pronoun use.

I AM a states rights advocate. I just want it equally applied.

Have the right to remove a candidate from Federal election ballots and protect the border of your state
Don't have the right to remove a candidate and not have the right to protect the border

The two issues should not be separate. A state's right is the same for both or neither. To declare otherwise is pure babble. I learned the derivation of the word babble this weekend at Bible Study. It means to seed pick.

Babble...
Adjutant

Post 05 Mar 2024, 4:03 pm

No worries! No apology needed.

I don't even argue politics on Twitter anymore because it accomplishes nothing and who needs the grief. Here hopefully we can still exchange views without raising the BP...
Last edited by freeman3 on 05 Mar 2024, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adjutant

Post 05 Mar 2024, 4:05 pm

I would have thought that Babble came from the Tower of Babel but I have never looked into the word origin...
Administrator

Post 05 Mar 2024, 7:48 pm

That is what I thought of as well.

It is from the Greek.
Adjutant

Post 07 Mar 2024, 10:56 pm

Well, that State of the Union speech should help erase concerns that Biden is senile or something. Not perfect but pretty darn good...and no way Trump could come close.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9vmRd67lc
Administrator

Post 08 Mar 2024, 5:46 am

I guess the people (electorate) will make up their minds.
Administrator

Post 08 Mar 2024, 3:24 pm

Did President Biden actually get Laken Riley's name wrong? I am starting to replay the SOTU and see if that is true.
Administrator

Post 08 Mar 2024, 4:35 pm

Yep, Lincoln Riley.

Biden sounded like someone itching for a fight. He sounds just like Trump when he acts like this. He was not presidential. He was argumentative and bombastic. Those ore two traits I do not like from President Trump either.

Not presidential at all.