Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 07 Jul 2011, 11:21 am

Well, it looks like a tactical decision. Apparently there were rumours that in order to cut costs News International were likely to merge the Sun (Mon-Sat) with the News of the World. Now it seems that they can do that and try and throw a bone to the baying masses.

Will it be a meaty enough bone?

As far as I am aware, in the USA journalists tend to go through journalistic courses at college, in which they are taught ethics (just as lawyers and doctors are). But in the UK, they tend not to have done this - our degrees tend to be single-subject anyway, and there are few 'journalism' degrees, although 'Media Studies' is a course that can be taken and yet at the same time is massively maligned.

So I expect that our journalists are far less scrupulous about ethics to start with on average. But tabloids are driven to sell salacious stories and sensationalised views. In a time when 24-hr news renders normal stories old hat before presses can be warmed up, and when the internet can deliver gossip globally in seconds, dead-tree tabloids have a major problem. The responses have included trying to beat everyone else to the stories and find ones that no-one else can. To do this they appear to have used illegal methods.

What you may not realize, Steve, is that it's the profits from the tabloids that help prop up the other papers in the empire. The Times & Sunday Times over here make a loss, about equivalent to the profits from the Sun and NotW. If it wasn't for the tabloids, the quality papers would go under, but the quality papers are what gives the group gravitas. Still, the decline in newspaper sales has been a concern for some time. Desperate times, it seems.

Steve, you describe the investigation as 'embryonic'. The claims concern a period covering 2001-2007, and the police were involved from 2006. If it's still at a stage we'd describe as 'embryonic' then that itself is a massive scandal.

In the announcement made by James Murdoch concerning the closure of NotW, he admitted several failings on behalf of not just the journalists, but the newspaper and the owning group. It's not that they simply didn't detect wrongdoing, it is that they paid people off rather than admit failings; that they told parliamentary and police enquiries that nothing bad was happening beyond a single 'rogue reporter'. Their position is, of course that their sins are only of omission.

However, I mentioned Rebekah Brooks before - she heads News International and Rupert Murdoch a day or so ago said that the company would investigate internally 'under her leadership'. Given that she was editor for some of the time, and is subject to some of the allegations, this seems highly irregular. I can't think any company would be considered ethical if it allowed someone to preside over investigations into wrongdoing that they themselves are accused of complicity (at best) in.

I think this aspect of it is worrying. It's not just the culture of one grubby tabloid, but the corporate ethics of the Group that are in question. While US print journalists may be better coached in ethics, are US media company executives?
Ambassador

Post 07 Jul 2011, 2:24 pm

danivon wrote:Steve, you describe the investigation as 'embryonic'. The claims concern a period covering 2001-2007, and the police were involved from 2006. If it's still at a stage we'd describe as 'embryonic' then that itself is a massive scandal.

Dan, if you think all the evidence is available, go ahead and decide whatever you want. Feel free.

I've no interest in protecting the guilty. I've also no interest in determining guilt and innocence before I've gathered sufficient information.
Emissary

Post 07 Jul 2011, 2:45 pm

The interesting aspect of all this is that while Murdoch seems quite happy to close a 168 year old newspaper and put 200 people out of work, he steadfastly refuses to fire Rebekah Brooks who was editor of the paper during the period when these events took place. This is despite the fact that she reportedly offered her resignation last night. You do have to wonder why. If he'd have thrown her under the bus then he probably wouldn't have needed to close down a highly profitable newspaper, but he didn't do it. The speculation is that Brooks knows too much that may implicate James Murdoch. Now obviously that is pure speculation, but I can't think of any other reason why they'd stick by her so stubbornly when she's obviously damaged goods.
Ambassador

Post 07 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

I wonder if any soon-to-be-former NotW employees have any dirt to spill. A lot of them are really pissed off with Brooks & the Murdochs right now.
Ambassador

Post 07 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm

Oh, apparently, she didn't offer to resign.
Dignitary

Post 08 Jul 2011, 10:00 am

Sassenach wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/07/news-of-the-world-to-close

Well here's one rather serious bit of fallout. News International have announced that Sunday will be the last ever issue of the NotW. Just to put that into perspective, we're talking about a newspaper that's been in existence for 168 years and that has the largest circulation of any paper in the English-speaking world, gone just like that due to an outbreak of public revulsion.

That was a shocker to me. Front page news in today's NYT. I can't believe they'd just close up shop like that.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2011, 10:23 am

Trying to limit the damage, George. They are hoping this will be enough to quieten down the furore and allow them to expand control over our TV, maintain the sales and influence of their remaining titles.

I note that the guy in charge of Dow Jones & Co (part of the News Corp group) is Les Hinton, who was at News International during the period that these hacks took place and in 2009 testified that he and Andy Coulson knew nothing. Maybe he was misled, maybe he is involved.

Oh, it's only just been announced (in the last half hour) that Rebekah Brooks will not be leading the internal inquiry at News International, but will remain as CEO. It's still stunning to me that it was even considered that she would be heading up an inquiry into her own tenure as editor. My gf works in HR, and in internal investigations into employee misconduct. If anyone is accused of involvement, even if it's complicity by ignorance, they would not be anywhere near the investigation.

Oh, and another Sunday newspaper saw the police raid it today.
Emissary

Post 08 Jul 2011, 11:02 am

It seems that they're attempting to blame Coulson for everything. Not so sure that's going to be a wise decision. He surely knows where all the bodies are buried.
Ambassador

Post 08 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

Indeed. With the suggestion that a 'News International Executive' deleted loads of emails at some point (Coulson was not an 'executive' and left NI in 2007), it looks wider.

But I suspect that Brooks knows far more than he does, given the extraordinary level of support she's been getting.
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 09 Jul 2011, 8:11 am

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/8/me ... shuts_down
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/8/vi ... rt_strikes

Murdoch has a 12 billion takeover of Sky News in the works, that is at stake in this controversy. The time this has taken to unfold is indicative of the problem with too much media power being in the hands of one person. There's also the concern that is typified by Andy Coulsen a 'Robert Gibbs' type figure that transitions back and forth between government and media.
Ambassador

Post 10 Jul 2011, 8:13 am

Neal - not quite correct - it's BSkyB that he's trying to take over, which he already owns 39% of. As part of the conditions agreed in Spring to let the takeover go through, Sky News would not be included, but all the rest of it would. The main thing that BSkyB has is the satellites and the licensing, as well as a large number of channels other than Sky News.

The takeover is worth much much more than the continuance of a Sunday tabloid (that can easily be replaced by the 'Sun on Sunday'). Next week we will see in Parliament a debate over whether to put a block on the takeover - until now the government minister has been 'minded' to let it proceed.

Getting back to the topic of press freedom, as far as I can see it, the press should have the same freedoms to express opinion and print stories as individuals do under freedom of speech/expression. Those are limited though - incitement is illegal, lying can be punished, etc. And it doesn't provide a free pass to use illegal methods to obtain stories.
Ambassador

Post 12 Oct 2011, 2:35 pm

While the Hacking scandal rumbles on, news of dodgy dealings on behalf of the WSJ:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oc ... w-langhoff