Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 29 Jun 2020, 2:25 pm

By the way, here is an article about white privilege from a white woman...who grew up dirt poor.

https://medium.com/equality-includes-yo ... 39d9d2470b
Administrator

Post 29 Jun 2020, 4:23 pm

You're right Freeman. I apologize. Just a crappy day at work. You were not the one advocating violence.
Adjutant

Post 29 Jun 2020, 11:16 pm

No worries, Brad.
Statesman

Post 30 Jun 2020, 6:45 am

bbauska
So I take it you both support violence against people and people's property? After all, it is for the good of the movement!

Nope. But I understand why people who are subjected to what Blacks have had to endure for so long would occasionally resort to violence.
And I can understand why, when no progress is ever made it happens time and again...

As Martin Luther King said:
History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
Administrator

Post 30 Jun 2020, 9:44 am

RickyP,

Your comments below:
So protest? Perhaps violently?
When nothing is done to make change - nothing changes.

And that means that the protests will repeat themselves. Including the violent ones...

Sounds to me as if you are excusing, if not condoning, violent protests.

I cannot agree.
Adjutant

Post 30 Jun 2020, 11:14 am

Well, if you support at least some of the goals of the protests you understand the other side is ever ready to attempt to marginalize the protests in order to prevent change.And so they will point to instances of violence and looting to either point out the movement is bad or cause average people to start being fearful and be receptive to "law and order."

Secondly, for these protests to have any chance at succeeding, there has to be an intensity, they have to be fueled by a lot of righteous anger. Who would come out risking arrest or getting possibly beat up by the police unless they are really ouraged? Combine that with a police force that is ready to use violence to stop even peaceful protests who are out past curfew, you are likely going to have some violence. Actually, given the size and number and extent of the protests, the amount of the violence has been low.

Thirdly, there are going to be opportunists who want to take advantage of the turmoil to commit crimes. The incident you cited was basically one of those incidents.

We're just not going to allow those who oppose change to use isolated incidence of violence--by the way, there have been protesters seriously hurt by police, too--as a way to marginalize the movement to prevent real change. Sorry, not going to agree to do that.

What did you say...20 people died in Chicago from violence in one weekend? Do you think we as a country have no responsibility for those deaths? People segregated in poor communities, discriminated against, banks not willing to lend money there, businesses not willing to locate there. Do you think those deaths have nothing to do with a legacy of discrimination against black people? Yeah, a lot of black people die early in this country because of a legacy of discrimination. And conservatives generally dont give a hoot about them (though they like to use the violence in Chicago to score political points with regard to gun control and now with regard to this situation) and dont offer any remedies. But a few people tragically get killed during how many weeks of protests and to conservatives BLM is practically a terrorist organization.

We are not going to be diverted by those kinds of tactics from conservatives.
Statesman

Post 30 Jun 2020, 2:12 pm

bbauska
Sounds to me as if you are excusing, if not condoning, violent protests.

I cannot agree.

I get pretty tired of how the black folk have to be perfect citizens in their protests... As if they were only all Ghandi that somehow they would have had a response to their complaints of unequal treatment under the law... As if the protest isn't purely non-violent its okay to ignore them.

At what point is it okay to become violent?
When one is being whipped as a slave, would it be okay to physically resist?
If you are being physically restrained from entering a school, would it be okay to get physical?
If a police officer is strangling you would it be okay to try and resist or do you just comply and die?
Is it okay if a black person decides to stand their ground? Or is that just a law to which only armed white men and women resort.

The fact that occasionally protest has turned violent does not negate the veracity of the protesters claims, nor invalidate the goals they seek to achieve.
If good people stood with them, and helped achieve the goals the protests would not only be non-violent - but they would fade away.
Good people don't look for excuses not to act.
Administrator

Post 30 Jun 2020, 5:04 pm

I don't expect perfection, but arson rape, murder?
Adjutant

Post 05 Jul 2020, 4:26 pm

What shifting some police services to another entity looks like in practice.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/us/cahoo ... index.html