Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 04 Feb 2019, 11:58 am

freeman3 wrote:He is more Democratic than Republican, right?

I don't know if that's true. He's a billionaire who thinks medicare for all is stupid and hates the idea of marginally higher marginal tax rates. He's fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Lots of those folks voted for Trump.
Dignitary

Post 05 Feb 2019, 7:45 am

Nate Silver must be lurking behind a Redscape avatar.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/socially-liberal-fiscally-conservative-voters-preferred-trump-in-2016/
Administrator

Post 05 Feb 2019, 10:36 am

Not that I am a Trump voter by any means, but I would have preferred Shultz over Hilary or Bernie, but not Evan McMullin.
Adjutant

Post 05 Feb 2019, 11:41 am

Interesting article. Thanks. But the article was mostly designed to show that it isnt necessarily true that a Shultz candidacy would hurt a Democratic nominee rather than showing it would help. Probably if you had a liberal Democrac nominee it might help a little, but it's no sure thing. By the way, RJ is one of the socially liberally, fiscally conservative voters..wonder how he voted?
Ambassador

Post 05 Feb 2019, 11:20 pm

freeman3 wrote:Interesting article. Thanks. But the article was mostly designed to show that it isnt necessarily true that a Shultz candidacy would hurt a Democratic nominee rather than showing it would help. Probably if you had a liberal Democrac nominee it might help a little, but it's no sure thing. By the way, RJ is one of the socially liberally, fiscally conservative voters..wonder how he voted?

I voted for the libertarian candidate. Since I’m in a solidly blue state I don’t have to worry about throwing the election. If I lived in a purple state it would have been a much harder decision.
Ambassador

Post 09 Feb 2019, 8:39 am

Ray Jay wrote:
freeman3 wrote:Interesting article. Thanks. But the article was mostly designed to show that it isnt necessarily true that a Shultz candidacy would hurt a Democratic nominee rather than showing it would help. Probably if you had a liberal Democrac nominee it might help a little, but it's no sure thing. By the way, RJ is one of the socially liberally, fiscally conservative voters..wonder how he voted?

I voted for the libertarian candidate. Since I’m in a solidly blue state I don’t have to worry about throwing the election. If I lived in a purple state it would have been a much harder decision.

So, if you are trying to get into the mindset of an older suburban coastal white guy who is socially liberal and economically conservative, I would vote for Shultz. If your question is for whom would I vote if he wasn't on the ballot, assuming I'm in a swing state, and the choice is Trump or a Democrat, it is a real tough decision. I can't stand Trump's personal qualities, I am pro immigration (although in his SOTU he did say he wants more legal immigration which is huge for me) and pro free trade. On the flip side some of the Democrats scare me. I think it would depend on the quality of the Democratic candidate. They are all tacking left now, but come Sep./Oct. we'll see how they position themselves and I would take a measure of the individual, their views, and their history.
Adjutant

Post 09 Feb 2019, 3:00 pm

Thanks for the perspective, RJ. Here is what Howard Dean had to say about Shultz:

"If you want to turn the race over to Donald Trump, the polling already shows that he helps Trump immensely. And I think he is putting Starbucks at risk. I mean, the generation that made him a billionaire is the generation that's going to be voting overwhelmingly for Democrats. 69% in Virginia. 70% in the congressional elections. You know, I have polled this with Bloomberg, who is a much better politician than Schultz. He’s not going to win a single state. It's not possible. But he can switch the election over to Trump from a Democrat. And I think that would be extremely bad for the country."

I think Howard Dean is very smart; I think he would have made a good president. Probably the most disappointing thing in politics that I have experienced was when he had to leave the race because of one exuberant speech, which is inexplicable. Apparent, the powers that be in the Democratic Party wanted Kerry. A doctor, well-informed, liberal, good speaker, intelligence manifest when he talks. Guess that is not enough.
Adjutant

Post 05 Mar 2019, 10:14 am

B-bye Biden with your bs populism...

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c79 ... c2f295ba31
Administrator

Post 05 Mar 2019, 12:25 pm

You are correct. As a moderate, he does not have a place at the table with the new Democratic Party. Neither party is willing to accept moderation.

As my Grandpa use to say, "Do nothing to extreme, including moderation." There are a times and places for extremism, but the should be few and far between. Sadly, apparently, that is no longer the situation.
Ambassador

Post 05 Mar 2019, 2:17 pm

In the past 50 years, the Democratic party has regarded former or sitting VPs as prime candidates for the nomination. LBJ's VP Humphrey was the nominee in 1968, Carter's VP Mondale was the nominee in 1984, and Clinton's VP Gore was the nominee in 2000. So, party tradition says, don't be too quick to count Biden out.
Adjutant

Post 05 Mar 2019, 8:56 pm

All the fire is in the young, liberal part of the party. I take your point..it's a good one...but I dont think the party is going to accept Biden. Too old, too chummy with corporations, been in Washington too long...
Dignitary

Post 06 Mar 2019, 4:03 pm

Mayor Pete! No kidding, I'm three interviews in with and he sounds great!

https://www.wnyc.org/story/mayor-buttigieg-americas-future/

Almost makes me want to change my party affiliation to Democrat so I can vote for him in the primary.
Adjutant

Post 06 Mar 2019, 5:54 pm

I fear he might be...the butt of some jokes. President Butt-Geek? Thats going to take some getting used to...
Adjutant

Post 06 Mar 2019, 5:57 pm

But I do like his views. And like how he talks about a job as more than a paycheck.
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 14 Mar 2019, 4:27 pm

Here's whoever the dems nominate for 2020