Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 04 Jun 2011, 2:36 pm

At first, it just seems stupid:

A proposal to ban the circumcision of male children in San Francisco has been cleared to appear on the November ballot, setting the stage for the nation's first public vote on what has long been considered a private family matter.

But even in a city with a long-held reputation for pushing boundaries, the measure is drawing heavy fire. Opponents are lining up against it, saying a ban on a religious rite considered sacred by Jews and Muslims is a blatant violation of constitutional rights.

Elections officials confirmed Wednesday the initiative had qualified for the ballot with more than 7,700 valid signatures from city residents. Initiatives must have at least 7,168 names to qualify.

If the measure passes, circumcision would be prohibited among males under the age of 18. The practice would become a misdemeanor offense punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or up to one year in jail. There would be no religious exemptions.

But, this campaign really does take on a pretty nasty, propagandist feel:

The San Diego-based group that is laboring to get circumcision banned in San Francisco has perpetrated a comic book. In it, a superhero named Foreskin Man saves a baby boy from being circumcised by the evil Monster Mohel, a vicious-looking Orthodox Jewish rabbi who could have been drawn by an acolyte of Joseph Goebbels.

Indeed, Foreskin Man has a distinctly Hitlerian “Aryan” look to him.

It’s crystal clear from the dialogue that the perpetrator of this literary opus intends to depict the Judaic religious view of circumcision as evil and repulsive. The “comic” hauls out every theme of Jew hatred in the arsenal.

Note that these circumcision-haters could have addressed the issue as one of science, medicine, personal autonomy, or even just a social issue on which reasonable people can disagree.

But they didn’t. The case they’re making is that circumcision is evil because Jews do it as a religious observance.

The artwork is really "special"

I can't believe this is even on the ballot.
Ambassador

Post 04 Jun 2011, 4:18 pm

Perhaps a secret plan to unite Muslims and Jews?

I understand the ballot requirements are fairly minimal in SF.

It's all pretty weird in that SF is an extremely tolerant place. No doubt if passed it would be considered unconstitutional ...
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 04 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm

There's more circumcised Christians in the US than all other religious groups combined. This has no traction.
Emissary

Post 04 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm

I can sort of see the argument that circumcision should be a conscious choice, what with it being a surgical procedure to permanently remove a part of the anatomy. Then there's also the fact that if it were a move to ban female circumcision it would be a lot less controversial, despite that also being a commonly accepted cultural practice in many parts of the world. But yeah, this does seem to be motivated more by anti-semitic sentiment than anythiung else so it's difficult to justify.
Adjutant

Post 05 Jun 2011, 12:57 am

Those people seem to be antisemitic. Doesn't really take away from the point of wether it's apropriate to remove bodyparts of minors because of the religious affiliation of the parents or other non medical reasons.
Ambassador

Post 05 Jun 2011, 6:31 am

Doctor Fate wrote:I can't believe this is even on the ballot.
The price of free speech and democracy is having to hear things that you hate and people being able to vote for what you think unconscionable.

Luckily, the flipside is that you have the same tools to use to expose this kind of stuff and to defeat it at the ballot box.

Over here we have a similar kind of agitation against Halal meat because of the way it is killed. Which of course is exactly the same (except for the words spoken at the time) as the Kosher method. There's more than a little anti-Islamic (and anti-semitic) sentiment involved.

I'd always heard that circumcision was very popular in the US - much more so than it is over here, so I can't see it getting much support. Apparently there's a belief it is more hygienic.