Post 14 Feb 2018, 11:40 am

Those darn immigrants...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brooki ... ldren/amp/
Ambassador

Post 14 Feb 2018, 11:51 am

freeman3 wrote:Those darn immigrants...

Great!

No one complains about immigrants who enter legally and contribute.

How many Fortune 500 companies were started by MS-13 members? How many from s***hole countries? How many entered illegally, used fraudulent documents, and abused the system to get welfare, and yet went on to found Fortune 500 companies?
Adjutant

Post 14 Feb 2018, 12:04 pm

Really...you're going to repeat that awful phrase? Looking down on people because of their country of origin is not what this country is about. I hope.
Statesman

Post 14 Feb 2018, 12:27 pm

Fate
How many from s***hole countries?

Lots of very successful business people ... examples...
Herby Duverné, 48, runs a $12 million security firm in Boston--but he began his career cleaning bathrooms in Port-au-Prince.
His company, Windwalker Group (formerly Taino Consulting), provides cybersecurity services for government agencies, as well as commercial clients, landing on Inc.'s list of the fastest-growing private companies in America at No. 1,063 in 2017.

Joe Duran, the founder of wealth management firm United Capital in Newport Beach, California, feels similarly. Duran is of Spanish descent, but grew up in war-torn Zimbabwe, where he witnessed firsthand the transition from white colonial rule to independence in the early 1980s.
http://www.unitedcp.com/who-we-are/meet-joe-duran

Of course the definition of "shithole" country has varied over time. At one time China was such.
Ambassador

Post 14 Feb 2018, 12:45 pm

freeman3 wrote:Really...you're going to repeat that awful phrase? Looking down on people because of their country of origin is not what this country is about. I hope.

Nope, I'm saying, the word "immigrant" is extremely pliable. You're using top-tier, successful people as an indicator that all immigrants are like that.

You can't do what you did and not claim that in light of the claims made about Trump. I've heard innumerable liberals claim he said every Mexican is a murderer, rapist, or thief.

So, you're claiming they're all wonderfully successful.

Neither is true.
Ambassador

Post 14 Feb 2018, 12:46 pm

Thanks rickyp, but that's ZERO Fortune 500 companies.
Administrator

Post 14 Feb 2018, 12:49 pm

The left continues to paint a caricature of the Conservative viewpoint on immigration. It is NOT the legal immigrants that is the concern, but the illegal immigrant. Freeman and Ricky's postings continue to show that caricature. DF has posted several times about legal immigration being fine. I don't know what your point is, unless it is to point out that you agree with illegal immigration and DF does not.

Is that your position? You agree with illegal immigration?
Ambassador

Post 14 Feb 2018, 12:55 pm

freeman3 wrote:Those darn immigrants...

So, how many were illegal immigrants?
Adjutant

Post 14 Feb 2018, 1:01 pm

If you bring in immigrants some of them are going to do great, some of them are going to be criminals. Just like the US population as a whole. But having a positive view towards immigrants brings in talented people from all the world. We have a majority white population that is having to deal with perhaps not being in the majority in the future. That's a big change. What is the future going to look like with more brown than white people here? These are seismic issues going on right now and let's not pretend that they aren't there.

But I think part of what makes the US a vibrant country is a constant influx of new immigrants with different ideas and customs and cultures and this sort of coming together of the world is very beneficial. It's not without its warts. And we can legitimately talk about security, illegal immigrants, and abuses of the system. But let's not throw the baby out with the babywater. For one thing, with the retirement of the Baby Boomers we're going to need immigrants to keep our safety net functioning. I mean, someone's got to work!
Adjutant

Post 14 Feb 2018, 1:06 pm

The emotion behind the issue tells a different story, Brad. Illegal immigrants are only a significant issue in a few parts of the country. So why should people in other parts of the country care so much about it? Because it's the one area where people feel they can safely indicate their concern at changing demographics.
Ambassador

Post 14 Feb 2018, 1:11 pm

freeman3 wrote:If you bring in immigrants some of them are going to do great, some of them are going to be criminals. Just like the US population as a whole. But having a positive view towards immigrants brings in talented people from all the world. We have a majority white population that is having to deal with perhaps not being in the majority in the future. That's a big change. What is the future going to look like with more brown than white people here? These are seismic issues going on right now and let's not pretend that they aren't there.

Right.

Because the only reason anyone would be against illegal immigrants is . . . racism!

Come on.

But I think part of what makes the US a vibrant country is a constant influx of new immigrants with different ideas and customs and cultures and this sort of coming together of the world is very beneficial. It's not without its warts.

And, I don't care what color or religion someone is, if they come here legally, work hard, and become part of our society, they are welcome.

On the other hand, if they come here illegally, or don't work hard, or work to remain separate, then they ought to have stayed where they were.

And we can legitimately talk about security, illegal immigrants, and abuses of the system. But let's not throw the baby out with the babywater. For one thing, with the retirement of the Baby Boomers we're going to need immigrants to keep our safety net functioning. I mean, someone's got to work!

That's not a reason to welcome illegal immigrants.
Ambassador

Post 14 Feb 2018, 1:37 pm

Freeman:
If you bring in immigrants some of them are going to do great, some of them are going to be criminals.
The stats are that legal immigrants commit fewer crimes than native born Americans, but that illegal immigrants commit crimes at a higher rate than the native population. It's very interesting that each side generally only posts one side of that equation.
Ambassador

Post 14 Feb 2018, 2:03 pm

Ray Jay wrote:Freeman:
If you bring in immigrants some of them are going to do great, some of them are going to be criminals.
The stats are that legal immigrants commit fewer crimes than native born Americans, but that illegal immigrants commit crimes at a higher rate than the native population. It's very interesting that each side generally only posts one side of that equation.

I'm fine with both sides because it buttresses my view of immigration. Legal immigrants come here to work hard and improve their lives, almost without exception. Illegal immigrants have different motivations. Some want the same things. Some see the US as a fertile environment for criminal activity.
Adjutant

Post 14 Feb 2018, 3:17 pm

RJ, I'm fine with a rational discussion about what to do about illegal immigration. It's the emotion from the other side that tends to convince me there is some xenophobia being thrown into the debate. And the Trump Administration is trying to cut legal immigration in half, don't forget.
Ambassador

Post 14 Feb 2018, 3:26 pm

freeman3 wrote:RJ, I'm fine with a rational discussion about what to do about illegal immigration. It's the emotion from the other side that tends to convince me there is some xenophobia being thrown into the debate. And the Trump Administration is trying to cut legal immigration in half, don't forget.

That last part is true, but I suspect it's a negotiating position. I think most, more than most, Americans know we can't reduce legal immigration. If anything, we need to find ways to expand it.