Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 13 Feb 2018, 4:56 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/11/worl ... mpics.html

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea — When the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, decided to send a large delegation to the Winter Olympics in South Korea this month, the world feared he might steal the show.

If that was indeed his intention, he could not have chosen a better emissary than the one he sent: his only sister, Kim Yo-jong, whom news outlets in the South instantly called “North Korea’s Ivanka,” likening her influence to that of Ivanka Trump on her father, President Trump.

Much as Ms. Trump has been when traveling with her father, Ms. Kim was closely followed by the news media during her three-day visit to Seoul and to Pyeongchang, which is hosting the Olympics. She flew back to North Korea on Sunday night.

Flashing a sphinx-like smile and without ever speaking in public, Ms. Kim managed to outflank Mr. Trump’s envoy to the Olympics, Vice President Mike Pence, in the game of diplomatic image-making.

While Mr. Pence came with an old message — that the United States would continue to ratchet up “maximum sanctions” until the North dismantled its nuclear arsenal — Ms. Kim delivered messages of reconciliation as well as an unexpected invitation from her brother to the South Korean president, Moon Jae-in, to visit Pyongyang, the North Korean capital.

Ms. Kim attracted attention wherever she turned up — at the opening ceremony, in the stands at the Olympic debut of the unified Korean women’s ice hockey team, and at a performance in Seoul by a North Korean art troupe.

Only the media would make the US out like the bad guys and North Korea like happy-go-lucky super models.
Ambassador

Post 04 Mar 2018, 6:13 am

The South Koreans want peace and reconciliation, and they don't want the threat of war to be escalated.

I am sure they know that the Kim visit was all a PR stunt, but they live in hope.
Ambassador

Post 04 Mar 2018, 8:19 am

danivon wrote:The South Koreans want peace and reconciliation, and they don't want the threat of war to be escalated.

I am sure they know that the Kim visit was all a PR stunt, but they live in hope.

Hope is better than Fear; Reason is best of all.
Ambassador

Post 04 Mar 2018, 9:21 am

Ray Jay wrote:
danivon wrote:The South Koreans want peace and reconciliation, and they don't want the threat of war to be escalated.

Reason tells me not to trust either a Kim or Pence.
Ambassador

Post 04 Mar 2018, 11:47 am

danivon wrote:
Ray Jay wrote:

Reason tells me not to trust either a Kim or Pence.

Reason tells me they are not on the same moral plane.
Adjutant

Post 25 Feb 2019, 1:19 am

Coincidentally...North Korea had their First Academy Awards tonight.

Best Movie: "ICBM Launch."
Best Actor: "Hwasong-15"
Best Director: Kim Jong Un for "ICBM Launch"
Best Producer: Kim Jong Un for "ICBM Launch"
Best Supporting Actress: Jointly given to Siti Aisyah and Doan Thi Huong for "Kuala Lampur Nerve Gas Attack."
Best Sound: "Death by Artillery Shell"
Best Cinematography: "Kim Jong Un Giving Piggyback Ride to Officer"
Best Foreign Film: "Singapore Summit with the Donald"
Best Supporting Actor: Xi Linping for "Lifeline to Pyongyang"