Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 06 Mar 2018, 6:29 pm

freeman3 wrote:Are you kidding? The Republicans have been completely amoral with regard to the Trump. They are not moving against him unless the country demands it.

If there is compelling information on his guilt, and they got their tax cuts, and there is a president that demands tariffs and gun control, and who has bimbos coming out of the woodwork, then I think they'll cut their losses and do the right thing.

I'm not saying anything about morality, but if he served a purpose and has become tainted, then they'll distance themselves from him.
Adjutant

Post 06 Mar 2018, 7:25 pm

That certainly is a reasonable analysis but I wonder if they will risk alienating Trump's base of support. If that 30% is not buying impeachment...I wonder what Republican leadership will do.
Ambassador

Post 07 Mar 2018, 12:58 am

geojanes wrote:Perhaps I'm just a yokel, but the fact that we don't know anything yet, doesn't tell me anything, other than the people working on the investigation are good.

The way things leak, if there was something substantive to show Trump colluded, we’d know about it.

I hope you're right about the R's. In fact, I think you are right, but I worry.

I’m confident. There were 16 other candidates. 14 of them would have made Republicans happier. The Trump “wing” of the party didn’t become active Republicans until after he was the front-runner. He’s got little loyalty among the conservative base, like me.
Ambassador

Post 07 Mar 2018, 12:59 am

freeman3 wrote:That certainly is a reasonable analysis but I wonder if they will risk alienating Trump's base of support. If that 30% is not buying impeachment...I wonder what Republican leadership will do.

Evidence of actual malfeasance, rather than implied or imagined, will do the trick.

Then again, what if Democrats try it?

I’m picturing Maxine Waters prosecuting the case.

He walks.
Ambassador

Post 07 Mar 2018, 6:39 am

The Democrats should not try to rush this process. Trump's travails will result in good Democratic results in Nov. With that, the composition of the jury changes come January.

It's ironic, but Democrats should want to put on the brakes, whereas Republicans should hope that they find something soon to end the nightmare.

(With the coming trade war I desperately want Trump out. The risks now far outweigh the benefits.)
Statesman

Post 07 Mar 2018, 12:32 pm

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... king-fast/

The link above puts the Mueller investigations into context. There have been a number of lingering investigations that plagued every Presidency since Reagan.
None have moved as fast as Muellers. For comparison, Whitewater went on for 7 years...

It may seem like if Trump were guilty, they would have acted right now. However, the complexities of delivering an air tight case for money laundering and/or influence peddling will take some time.
Unless a Russian hooker delivers the pee tapes (always a possibility) there won't be an immediate conclusion.
More likely, tracking laundered money through European banks will involve many hours of FBI agents time.
Ambassador

Post 07 Mar 2018, 9:57 pm

Desperation is amusing to observe.
Ambassador

Post 08 Mar 2018, 12:14 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:Desperation is amusing to observe.

Indeed. The White House is flailing about. I am glad to be thousands of miles away.
Ambassador

Post 08 Mar 2018, 6:18 pm

danivon wrote:

Indeed. The White House is flailing about. I am glad to be thousands of miles away.

Whatevs.

Apparently, Kim has agreed to denuclearize. We shall see, but if it’s anything at all, it’s more than Clinton, Bush, or Obama ever got.
Ambassador

Post 08 Mar 2018, 8:01 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:

Whatevs.

Apparently, Kim has agreed to denuclearize. We shall see, but if it’s anything at all, it’s more than Clinton, Bush, or Obama ever got.

Probably wants sanctions to be lifted and PR boosting trip to the White House, and then back to the routine. And he has agreed nothing - wait for the preconditions.
Ambassador

Post 08 Mar 2018, 9:46 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:

Whatevs.

Probably wants sanctions to be lifted and PR boosting trip to the White House, and then back to the routine. And he has agreed nothing - wait for the preconditions.

It’s so typical—I’m the optimist. :laugh:
Ambassador

Post 08 Mar 2018, 9:54 pm

I am trying to visualise your reaction if Kim had said this four years ago and Obama had invited him to the WH.

How things change...
Ambassador

Post 08 Mar 2018, 10:14 pm

I am trying to visualise your reaction if Kim had said this four years ago and Obama had invited him to the WH.

How things change...
Ambassador

Post 09 Mar 2018, 7:21 am

two peas in a pod. :)
Ambassador

Post 09 Mar 2018, 7:21 am

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:

Whatevs.

Yes