Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 05 Jan 2018, 9:58 am

My best guess in how this will end up is that Mueller may find technical violations related to communication between Trump and the Russians. By technical I mean strictly speaking against the law, but not against the national interest.

I also think there is a strong possibility that they will find Trump violated money laundering rules or tax rules. I'm guessing he cut corners; it won't just be technical, but it won't be as blatant as it was for Manafort. It will be somewhere in between.

That's all just a prediction. We haven't seen the evidence yet.

I also think it is relevant that Trump has NO friends. He eventually has fall outs, even with best buddies like Bannon. When it comes time to vote, there aren't going to be more than a handful of Sens and Reps who care about the individual. They will consider their own political interests and vote accordingly.

As I write this a mouse, or something bigger, just ran across my basement. Better get on that ...
Administrator

Post 05 Jan 2018, 10:21 am

Sounds like the 2nd Amendment could help you!
Ambassador

Post 05 Jan 2018, 10:49 am

bbauska wrote:Sounds like the 2nd Amendment could help you!

i'm going with peanut butter in a safe trap so that I can set him free and alive out in the wild. You know how we east coast girly-men elitists can be ...
Administrator

Post 05 Jan 2018, 11:11 am

Ray Jay wrote:
bbauska wrote:Sounds like the 2nd Amendment could help you!

i'm going with peanut butter in a safe trap so that I can set him free and alive out in the wild. You know how we east coast girly-men elitists can be ...

A terrible waste of peanut butter...
Adjutant

Post 05 Jan 2018, 11:13 am

You may be right RJ... but I hope it's not technical. Then it would be reminiscent of Bill Clinton where a president keeps getting investigated until something is found. I have been convinced there has been something significant going on. That could be my partisan blinders, of course

By the way, there were reports that Trump did not recognize several old friends over the holidays. So there might be cognitive decline thrown into the mix.
Last edited by freeman3 on 05 Jan 2018, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adjutant

Post 05 Jan 2018, 11:20 am

And kudos for trying to let the little guy go free without imposing capital punishment, RJ! Since I became a vegetarian 4-5 years ago I do not like the unnecessarily killing of any form of life. I like my imprint on flora and fauna to be as light as possible.
Ambassador

Post 05 Jan 2018, 11:26 am

freeman3 wrote: Lincoln had the archetypal background/temperament to be president. Trump is his antithesis.

There's a lot of apparent truth here. Certainly, Trump is remarkably thin-skinned. Then again, I would not say his opponent was made up of thicker stuff. In his prime, Bill Clinton would have mauled Trump. Hillary? Not so much. Obviously.

I don't know that Trump is the complete opposite of Lincoln in terms of temperament. For example, Lincoln was not shy about second-guessing his generals. The turnover there was pretty remarkable. He said, "You're fired" quite a bit.

That said, I still think you're dealing with a caricature of Trump. Sorry. I don't think he bumbled, stumbled and fumbled his way through life.

I'd like you to consider this: for liberals, Trump is a racist as evidenced by him hiring alt-right pot-stirrer Steve Bannon. Now that he fired Bannon, Bannon is the voice of reason and Trump, who previously was Hitler is now a doddering idiot.

The image of Trump shifts with the headlines. In other words, he's a caricature for your side.
Adjutant

Post 05 Jan 2018, 11:45 am

I am not going to buy anything Bannon says just because he's saying stuff against Trump, though admittedly there is a tendency to want to enlist all allies when you don't like someone politically. Trump really makes it to easy to see him as a caricature by his behavior. I certainly have run into any number of shrewd businessman who I wouldn't want to be president. I'll put Trump down into that category of bring a very aggressive businessman who fights over every dime.His talents are very narrow and he may be very, very good at a few certain things but I think he is a fish out of water as president. I'll stipulate that he didn't get to where he is by luck. I really am trying to give him his due, trying to describe him in an accurate manner. Maybe that's impossible now.
Ambassador

Post 05 Jan 2018, 12:06 pm

I have no interest in debating a book I'll never read, but it is interesting that Tony Blair is already out saying he did not say what Wolff says he did.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/05/ ... brication/

I found this interesting from that blog:

Speaking of unexpected sources, the best White House response to Wolff comes from the spokesperson who got run out of the West Wing months ago. Sean Spicer calmly dissects the credibility issues in this appearance on ABC’s Good Morning America, although one has to go to the bottom of the ABC report to find it in the print version. George Stephanopoulos pushes Spicer to admit the quotes involving him are accurate, which Spicer does — but explains that the context for them has been twisted around. The book, from what Spicer has seen so far, is filled with out-of-context quotes and imagined reporting.

“If it’s 10% or 20% or 50% or 70% that isn’t true,” Spicer argues, “the reader’s not left to know which is true and which is not.” Blair would certainly agree

That's the thing, isn't it? A biography, or semi-bio, of this sort is about deciding what to leave in and what to edit out. There is a lot of freedom to shape the portrait of the subject via editing. If Wolff made up some of it and heavily redacted other portions . . . well, at least he's making a boatload of money, right?
Adjutant

Post 05 Jan 2018, 12:23 pm

The question is...why was he provided such access in the first place?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 1003673001
Ambassador

Post 05 Jan 2018, 12:33 pm

freeman3 wrote:The question is...why was he provided such access in the first place?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 1003673001

Agreed.

I'd also be interested on when Wolff was cut off, or when he stopped interviewing.

I think there has been a notable operational difference since Kelly came in as chief of staff. Nothing is going to change Trump the person, but it's been a much better "operation" since Preibus was given the heave.
Adjutant

Post 10 Jan 2018, 5:33 pm

A fuller list of presidential nicknames...

Melania: "Marie Antionette"--she's royalty...and she is out of touch with the People.
Robert Mueller: "Silent Bob"--does not talk much but gets the job done.
Steve Bannon: "Fredo"--He was like a brother, he cries...now he is dead to him.
Hope Hicks--"Wonder Woman"--because she is, well, hot.
James Comey: "Jolly Green G-Man"--because he is very tall and headed the FBI.
Stephen Miller: "Hitler Youth"--he's young, he's racist, he's fanatical.
Michael Flynn: "A Man for All Countries"--because he worked for the US, Russia and Turkey. Not necessarily in that order...
Kellyanne Conway: "Con Air"--She cons you with a lot of hot air.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders: "The Matrix". She lies so well you're not certain that the world you think you live in really exists.
Reince Prebius: "Rinoplastic"--he has a big nose, he's a RINO Republican, and he adapts himself to fit in with whoever he is dealing with.
Sean Spicer: "Mrs. Doubtfire"--because Sean has a feminine side.
Nikki Haley: "Sacagawea." Because she is Indian and Pocahontas was already used on Elizabeth Warren and there are only two options in the well-know female Indians genre.And no he doesn't care that she is not that type of Indian...
Jared Kushner: "Jared's"--he is shiny with no functional value.
Emissary

Post 16 Jan 2018, 4:48 pm

Freeman wrote...

I don't much believe in coincidences...

You should have ended the sentence with "as long as those coincidences concern Trump."

In post after post elsewhere you scoff at anyone who suggests that "coincidences" concerning the Clintons are anything more than right wing conspiracy theories.

I'm not denying anything you've brought to light here Freeman. I'm open to the fact that you may be correct. It's your certitude I find ironic.
Adjutant

Post 09 Feb 2018, 7:17 am

Trump interviewed Rob Porter before giving him a key job in the White House...

Trump: "Says here...you are involved in women's issues?
Porter: "Yes, sir. I am very knowledgeable about domestic violence issues."
Trump: "Oh, so you help in those cases?"
Porter: "In a manner of speaking. I make sure women get a good shot."
Trump: "And you are a fan of Florence?"
Porter: "Oh, yes. Took some good photos. Big fan of chiaroscuro."
Trump: "Heard you had a great honeymoon?
Porter: "it was definitely a kick..."
Trump: "And you like WWE?
Porter: "Can't get enough of the takedown and chokehold!"
Trump: "Well if you like wrestling...you'll like my presidency."
Porter: "Why?"
Trump: "They're both fake!"
Dignitary

Post 09 Feb 2018, 8:52 am

People who have made mistakes and paid the price for those mistakes have the right to be employed. He had domestic abuse in his past. If he paid the price for those mistakes, he should be able to keep his job. It's just like ex-cons having the right to vote. They paid their debt. They have rights. If this guy was a public figure, a press secretary or a spokesperson, fine force him out, but he was behind the scenes staffer none of us had heard about until now. It's actually pretty shameful.