Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
User avatar
Administrator
 
Posts: 6706
Joined: 26 Jun 2000, 1:13 pm

Post 17 Oct 2017, 7:19 pm

danivon wrote:
geojanes wrote:
danivon wrote:There are more important things to be offended about.


Amen. I'm tempted to start talking about delicate snowflakes, but I won't.

It is an irony that quite often Conservatives and Christians, so quick to sneer at the "offended" on the liberal and secular side are just as fast to take offence and bleat about it publicly.

It seems to be a general human trait, to be honest.


Quite honestly I think both should quit fussing about petty offenses. And that is coming from a Conservative and Christian.

Romans 12:18
User avatar
Ambassador
 
Posts: 20960
Joined: 15 Jun 2002, 6:53 am

Post 17 Oct 2017, 8:41 pm

bbauska wrote:
danivon wrote:
geojanes wrote:
danivon wrote:There are more important things to be offended about.


Amen. I'm tempted to start talking about delicate snowflakes, but I won't.

It is an irony that quite often Conservatives and Christians, so quick to sneer at the "offended" on the liberal and secular side are just as fast to take offence and bleat about it publicly.

It seems to be a general human trait, to be honest.


Quite honestly I think both should quit fussing about petty offenses. And that is coming from a Conservative and Christian.

Romans 12:18


I’ve avoided this whole thing. To me, commercializing Christmas is missing the point, but it’s what idol-worshipers want. Celebrating baby Jesus is fun. Thinking about the return of Jesus? Not so much.
User avatar
Statesman
 
Posts: 10891
Joined: 15 Aug 2000, 8:59 am

Post 18 Oct 2017, 8:42 am

bbauska
Quite honestly I think both should quit fussing about petty offenses


Are you directing this at Dag?
Is he really being petty?
User avatar
Administrator
 
Posts: 6706
Joined: 26 Jun 2000, 1:13 pm

Post 18 Oct 2017, 9:36 am

rickyp wrote:bbauska
Quite honestly I think both should quit fussing about petty offenses


Are you directing this at Dag?
Is he really being petty?


Pretty much at anyone who fusses about not having their views respected and accepted. A personal view is not required to be accepted by society. Expecting others to change their views to conform with yours at the risk of job termination, legal action or loss of friendship is over the top.

I did not see Dag acting this way.
User avatar
Emissary
 
Posts: 1506
Joined: 15 Oct 2002, 9:34 pm

Post 06 Nov 2017, 11:14 am

Danivon wrote:

They can't win, can they? If they weren't selling Xmas items, it would be part of the "War On Christmas", and if they are it's "commercialising religion". There are more important things to be offended about.


I already covered why I brought it up.

Why bother with all of this ultimately? Because I have no control whatsoever to bare upon this @#$! up world and the nutters who bring hate and suffering to it. So calling someone out on the inconsistency of this practice and the reasons why it should stop presents me with the illusion that I have a voice.


Again Danivon wrote:

It is an irony that quite often Conservatives and Christians, so quick to sneer at the "offended" on the liberal and secular side are just as fast to take offence and bleat about it publicly.
It seems to be a general human trait, to be honest.


I'm not a conservative. And I've already stated that I am a failed Christian at best.

I'm quite aware of the fact that there are other topics more worthy of discussion. I'm the one who first said as much. Still, that doesn't take away from the fact that I am offended by marketers demeaning my faith tradition.
Last edited by dag hammarsjkold on 06 Nov 2017, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dignitary
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: 13 Feb 2000, 11:18 am

Post 06 Nov 2017, 2:24 pm

dag hammarsjkold wrote:Danivon wrote:

They can't win, can they? If they weren't selling Xmas items, it would be part of the "War On Christmas", and if they are it's "commercialising religion". There are more important things to be offended about.


I already covered why I brought it up.

Why bother with all of this ultimately? Because I have no control whatsoever to bare upon this @#$! up world and the nutters who bring hate and suffering to it. So calling someone out on the inconsistency of this practice and the reasons why it should stop presents me with the illusion that I have a voice.


It is an irony that quite often Conservatives and Christians, so quick to sneer at the "offended" on the liberal and secular side are just as fast to take offence and bleat about it publicly.
It seems to be a general human trait, to be honest.


I'm not a conservative. And I've already stated that I am a failed Christian at best.

I'm quite aware of the fact that there are other topics more worthy of discussion. I'm the one who first said as much. Still, that doesn't take away from the fact that I am offended by marketers demeaning my faith tradition.


Like Steve, I'm also reluctant to get into this, but I do want to make the following point: Like Easter, Christmas is a bisected holiday: Part commercial (non-religious) and part-religious. This should be fairly clear to everybody by now. That is to say, many people see Christmas and recognize that it has an important religious purpose, but the "secular" side of Christmas (trees, presents, family trips, "Jingle Bells", Santa, etc.) has become a nearly autonomous entity in its own right, celebrated by people of different (or no) religions.

Whether this is good or proper is a point of argument. You can certainly make an argument against the increasing commercialization of Christmas and I would not disagree. But to be fair, i think many people see Xmas more as a family holiday than strictly or mainly a religious holiday. Still, even the holiday, as "secular" as it has become, can be a good gateway for alert churches and believers to help introduce people to why Christmas exists in the first place.

I do think it is patronizing to customers to set out their Xmas products even before Halloween with the implication that it isn't too early to pick up some lights. Then again, I think it sucks that you have to buy your summer clothes in the later winter/early spring and your winter gear before January.