Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
User avatar
Ambassador
 
Posts: 20959
Joined: 15 Jun 2002, 6:53 am

Post 17 Oct 2017, 6:36 pm

freeman3 wrote:Football on the east coast takes place after services. On the west coast services interfere with the morning games. So for me, religion interfered with football. My parents made me go to church until I was about 12 or 13...and I absolutely hated it. I much preferred watching football. Born to be an atheist, I guess.

I am sure people bitch and moan about the protests. They boo very, very loud when they are watching the protests before the game on their TV...

It really doesn't make any sense that people would stop doing what they love to do over this...tailgaters not tailgating, not drinking their beers, not toasting their brats...because some black guys are not standing. They bitch about it...and then watch the game. If they canceled DirectTV and stopped watching football, tailgating...it's because their team sucks.

Okay.

Do you know anyone who has complained about the protests? Do you have any friends who have cancelled their DirecTV football packages?

I actually do. I have friends who actually like football and love the USA. When they have to choose, the No Fans Left loses their business.
User avatar
Ambassador
 
Posts: 15906
Joined: 15 Apr 2004, 6:29 am

Post 18 Oct 2017, 9:13 am

Doctor Fate wrote:Nope, not spitballing. I'm trying to keep the conversation relevant to the current kerfuffle. I had no idea that you were giving a history lesson.
Enough snark.

You said it would be interesting to see the demographics. I linked to two articles which are not ancient history by any means, and which show the results of surveys looking ta demographics of sports fans, by sport. One of them was updated this year.

Did you even read them? Or just search for what you thought was a rebuttal piece?

And, we'll see. If you're right, the NFL will shrug its mighty shoulders and keep on trucking. But, that doesn't seem to be what is happening.
Except you haven't been reading my words properly if you think that is my view. I have said that the NFL appears to be in a decline generally, from before the recent protests started.

Just because I am not 100% agreeing with you does not mean I am saying the total opposite.
User avatar
Ambassador
 
Posts: 20959
Joined: 15 Jun 2002, 6:53 am

Post 18 Oct 2017, 11:51 am

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:Nope, not spitballing. I'm trying to keep the conversation relevant to the current kerfuffle. I had no idea that you were giving a history lesson.
Enough snark.

You said it would be interesting to see the demographics. I linked to two articles which are not ancient history by any means, and which show the results of surveys looking ta demographics of sports fans, by sport. One of them was updated this year.

Did you even read them? Or just search for what you thought was a rebuttal piece?


You accuse me of spitballing, then call for an end to my snark?

You are quite the master of irony, at best.

The point, which you’ve buried, is that the demographics show why the NFL is in fact losing audience—as my link demonstrated. Some of its fan base is pretty ticked off by these demonstrations.

And, we'll see. If you're right, the NFL will shrug its mighty shoulders and keep on trucking. But, that doesn't seem to be what is happening.
Except you haven't been reading my words properly if you think that is my view. I have said that the NFL appears to be in a decline generally, from before the recent protests started.


That has accelerated since this season started. Given the direction Goodell is heading, the NFL will soon hit whatever its bottom is. It is obvious that many sports fans are not interested in SJW engineering during their games.

Just because I am not 100% agreeing with you does not mean I am saying the total opposite.


Fair.
User avatar
Ambassador
 
Posts: 15906
Joined: 15 Apr 2004, 6:29 am

Post 18 Oct 2017, 12:37 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:Nope, not spitballing. I'm trying to keep the conversation relevant to the current kerfuffle. I had no idea that you were giving a history lesson.
Enough snark.

You said it would be interesting to see the demographics. I linked to two articles which are not ancient history by any means, and which show the results of surveys looking ta demographics of sports fans, by sport. One of them was updated this year.

Did you even read them? Or just search for what you thought was a rebuttal piece?


You accuse me of spitballing, then call for an end to my snark?
yes. You seemed to be grasping at a poll as if it renders demographic studies irrelevant. They are not the same thing, and neither proves or disproves the other.

You are quite the master of irony, at best.
I know what irony is, at least.

The point, which you’ve buried, is that the demographics show why the NFL is in fact losing audience—as my link demonstrated. Some of its fan base is pretty ticked off by these demonstrations.
sigh...

The reason I posted the demographics was twofold. One, because you had made assertions about the demographics which I believed were just assumptions. Two, you evidenced that by then saying it would be interesting to see them. So, I did a very quick search and found some.

What they say does not completely tally with your assertions, and also does not necessarily agree with the article you posted which was based on two polls a month apart on a sample of 1000. But they are different things. The demographics are not likely to change much over time - indeed if you are right and the Conservative, white, working class male is turning away, we would see a trend in the demographics over time toward a more liberal, ethnically diverse, middle class female fan base. We won't get the data on that for a while yet, though.

And, we'll see. If you're right, the NFL will shrug its mighty shoulders and keep on trucking. But, that doesn't seem to be what is happening.
Except you haven't been reading my words properly if you think that is my view. I have said that the NFL appears to be in a decline generally, from before the recent protests started.


That has accelerated since this season started. Given the direction Goodell is heading, the NFL will soon hit whatever its bottom is. It is obvious that many sports fans are not interested in SJW engineering during their games.
The pattern seems to be that ratings were much lower at the start of the season but since then have been recovering - still lower than last year, but by less.

What has been happening to NFL ratings over the last decade?

And surely when it comes to the income to NFL, ratings are more important than "opinion".

After all, I have a pretty low opinion of the FA, and the Premier League, but I still watch my team play
User avatar
Ambassador
 
Posts: 20959
Joined: 15 Jun 2002, 6:53 am

Post 18 Oct 2017, 2:14 pm

Please. Enough lecturing from non-NFL fans.

Over just one month of player, coach, and owner protests of the flag and National Anthem, the National Football League has gone from America's sport to the least liked of top professional and college sports, according to a new poll.

From the end of August to the end of September, the favorable ratings for the NFL have dropped from 57 percent to 44 percent, and it has the highest unfavorable rating – 40 percent – of any big sport, according to the Winston Group survey provided exclusively to Secrets.


Worse for football, which was already seeing lower TV ratings and empty stadium seats, the month of protests and complaints about them from President Trump drove core fans, men 34-54, away, the most significant indicator that NFL brass aren't in touch with their base.


http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/shock ... le/2636837

You are free to argue as you want. Knock yourselves out. Go into a protocol.

If you're right, then it doesn't matter to the NFL. They will just keep marching and keep training their ignorant SJW-wannabes and business will continue as usual. If you're wrong, eventually the NFL will reach a tipping point.

When we're talking 5% (per Credit Suisse) quarterly reduction in income for CBS directly due to NFL ratings, well, you're talking real money. And, because it's a socialized business it hits every owner.

Time will tell.
User avatar
Ambassador
 
Posts: 15906
Joined: 15 Apr 2004, 6:29 am

Post 18 Oct 2017, 2:22 pm

Analysis of the same poll isn't adding anything.

By ratings I mean TV viewer ratings, not approval ratings.