Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 08 Sep 2017, 2:57 pm

What did Democrats get for doing this? Nothing! Why bail Trump out like this? Sometimes the political ineptness of Democrats is quite annoying. I don't know...maybe you could have got Trump not to get rid of DACA? Have Democrats heard of bargainning?

Asisine. We vote to extend a debut ceiling and provide funding for hurricane relief to a Republican state...while Republicans vote against it!
Statesman

Post 09 Sep 2017, 8:20 am

freeman3
We vote to extend a debut ceiling and provide funding for hurricane relief to a Republican state

Doesn't everyone in Congress have a duty to deliver good governance and to support the welfare of their fellow citizens?

That republicans haven't always followed that duty in the past (i.e. Hurricane Sandy relief, shutting down government over debt ceiling...) isn't an excuse for Democrats to now ignore their duty?
Adjutant

Post 11 Sep 2017, 11:28 am

Sure. But sometimes you have to make the other guy know how it feels when the shoe is on the other foot. Here, if we made the Republicans feel pain over raising the debt ceiling limit, maybe we could get an agreement to do away with debt ceiling votes. We did not and we can be sure if we continue to vote for debt ceiling increases that Republicans will go back to holding our economy hostage when there is a Democratic president so that they can get what they want.
Ambassador

Post 11 Sep 2017, 1:02 pm

I'm with Ricky on this one ... haven't said that in a while.
Ambassador

Post 12 Sep 2017, 5:45 am

Ray Jay wrote:I'm with Ricky on this one ... haven't said that in a while.

To further explain, there are a lot of centrifugal forces in American society right now, including media, social media, inequality, political parties, political funding, the education bureaucracy, etc. This is a rare example of bipartisanship and working together. The sausage making of political compromise is terrible to watch, but it beats the alternative of divided non-functioning government.

Although perhaps this deal is not good for the Democrats, it is certainly good for the country. We fund people who need help through no fault of their own, and we keep the government operating although for just a few more months. It also gives the Dems a way to work with Trump in the future which is healthy for both the Dems and the President.

In an unexpected way it may also help Ryan and McConnell enforce party discipline since the non-compromisers in the party can now see if they push too hard Trump will bypass them.