Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Statesman

Post 10 Jul 2017, 11:47 am

freeman3
An ICBM that only reaches a few inhabitants

Yes. Alaska and maybe northern British Columbia...
North Korea claims that it has launched its first intercontinental ballistic missile, or ICBM, which experts say could have the ability to reach Alaska.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/north-kor ... cbm-2017-7

rayjay
Regarding Ricky's posts on Chinese economic leverage, he's confused. Yes, the Chinese can create shocks to the west's financial system. But it is a lot easier to reallocate capital than it is to close factories that employ over 100 million people. The US has much more economic leverage

Does it? On the one hand the Trump administration is threatening Chinese steel exports, and on the other they want China to intervene in North Korea...
A lot of actors around the world are confused by Trump. Including his own staff apparently, as his priorities and positions change on his whim.

What is clear, after the G20, is that most of the world, including especially China and Japan, are expanding their relationships. Japan just signed a trade deal with the EU.
China is now the EU's second-biggest trading partner behind the United States and the EU is China's biggest trading partner.
The US is out of step with the direction of the world right now, and trying to force China into acting on North Korea will not have any affect. They have too many options, and the options are appealing because they also mean China's influence increases. The abandonment of the TPP, which was meant to isolate China, has opened the door for them...

If you try and look at this from China's view point:
https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/china- ... lationship

China regards stability on the Korean peninsula as its primary interest. Its support for North Korea ensures a friendly nation on its northeastern border and provides a buffer between China and the democratic South, which is home to around twenty-nine thousand U.S. troops and marines. “Chinese leaders have no love for Kim Jong-un’s regime or its nuclear weapons, but it dislikes even more the prospect of North Korea’s collapse and the unification of the Korean Peninsula with Seoul as the capital,” writes CFR President Richard N. Haass.

Beijing has consistently urged world powers not to push Pyongyang too hard, for fear of precipitating regime collapse and triggering dangerous military action. “Once a war really happens, the result will be nothing but multiple loss. No one can become a winner,” said Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in April 2017, urging the United States and North Korea to show restraint.

The specter of hundreds of thousands of North Korean refugees flooding into China is also a huge worry for Beijing. “Instability generated on the peninsula could cascade into China, making China’s challenge of providing for its own people that much more difficult,” says Mike Mullen, former chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff. The refugee issue is already a problem for China: Beijing’s promise to repatriate North Koreans escaping across the border has consistently triggered condemnation from human rights groups. Beijing began constructing a barbed-wire fence more than a decade ago to prevent migrants from crossing, but the International Rescue Committee estimates thirty to sixty thousand North Korean refugees live in China, though some nongovernmental organizations believe the total to be more than two hundred thousand. The majority of refugees first make their way to China before moving to other parts of Asia, including South Korea. However, tightened border controls under Kim Jong-un have decreased the outflow of refugees.

Though Beijing favors a stable relationship with Pyongyang, it has also sought to bolster its relations with Seoul in the South. China’s Xi Jinping met several times with now ousted South Korean President Park Geun-hye, while he has yet to visit or receive the North’s Kim. China was the destination for a quarter of South Korea’s exports in 2016, amounting to $124 million, but recently China has taken retaliatory measures against South Korean businesses to oppose the deployment of a U.S. missile defense system in South Korea’s eastern province of North Gyeongsang.

Experts say China has also been ambivalent on the question of its commitment to defend North Korea in case of military conflict. The 1961 Sino-North Korean Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation, and Mutual Assistance says China is obliged to intervene against unprovoked aggression. But Bonnie Glaser of the Center for Strategic and International Studies says the Chinese government has tried to persuade North Korean leaders to revoke the clause that would force Beijing to come to Pyongyang’s defense. Beijing has also said if conflict is initiated by Pyongyang it would not abide by its treaty obligation.

Nuclear weapons are lousy weapons. If used, for most countries that use them, the result would be at best disastrous and at worst oblivion.
They make great bargaining chips however.... Which is why NK has developed them. In order to continue regime survival the Kims need something that can dissuade invasion... The artillery destruction of Seoul was their first threat. The nuclear threat the second.
If you think about it, the development of nuclear capability is rationale if the goal is regime survival.
The threat of their use in a defensive reaction is enough to take military action off the table.
So talk.
Adjutant

Post 10 Jul 2017, 12:23 pm

The carrot does not work that well...if the other side senses there is no stick behind it.
Adjutant

Post 10 Jul 2017, 12:40 pm

Uh, Anchorage, Alaska has 300,000 has inhabitants. Are you counting that as a few?

And it's not clear that the missile could go that far. We should assume that it will. Now they have to figure out how to put a nuke on it and have targeting systems so they can accurately hit something. When I said development of an ICBM would necessitate military action I meant when they could send a nuke and hit us. But that certainly is concerning that may have a missile that can hit us.
Ambassador

Post 11 Jul 2017, 5:27 am

Ricky:
Does it? On the one hand the Trump administration is threatening Chinese steel exports, and on the other they want China to intervene in North Korea...
A lot of actors around the world are confused by Trump. Including his own staff apparently, as his priorities and positions change on his whim.
etc.ad nauseum

I agree that Trumps approach is very hard on our allies. But you are changing the subject. We are going to go after more Chinese banks that enable North Korea. If Canada doesn't join in we'll have to go it alone.
Ambassador

Post 11 Jul 2017, 5:29 am

freeman3 wrote:I have not forgotten that you predicted I would turn into a Republican when I got older...or did you predict that, I guess I'm not 100% certain about that. Anyway, there is no danger in my turning into a Republican--I'll always be liberal-- but I would like to think that I'm not one to toe any party line, whatever line that may be. I try to look at issues with an open mind and call them as I see them and I am particularly concerned about being fair to people whatever their background. Of course I am sure I apt to see things through the confirmation bias all people have, but I would like to think I am open to changing my mind on issues if the facts on the ground dictate it.

It was me, and that is all to your credit. I'm an independent. Liberal on social issues; conservative on economic issue including pro-trade and pro-immigration.
Statesman

Post 11 Jul 2017, 6:33 am

freeman3
Uh, Anchorage, Alaska has 300,000 has inhabitants. Are you counting that as a few?

Relatively.
Seoul has a metropolitan population of 25,600,000.

freeman3
The carrot does not work that well...if the other side senses there is no stick behind it.

And that's why nuclear weapons work so well as deterrents. (Bargaining chips). But make lousy weapons.
North Korea is not going to launch a nuke, or for that matter unleash their armies on South Korea as long as they understand that it would lead to total destruction of North Korea. And it will.
The commitment that the US has made in maintaining troops in South Korea guarantees that. It is a generous and brave commitment that every President has maintained since Eisenhower. And it has worked as designed.
Kim is homicidal. Not suicidal.

rayjay
I agree that Trumps approach is very hard on our allies. But you are changing the subject. We are going to go after more Chinese banks that enable North Korea. If Canada doesn't join in we'll have to go it alone
That's the thing about International finance... You need almost all the world to cooperate to make financial constraints effective.
Going it alone against North Korea, by the US, can't be done. Going it alone against China, self defeating. China has so many options that don't involve the US that they really can't be forced to do anything. They have to want to do something. And for them, the current situation may be seen as "not all bad".
The sanctions against Iran worked because the EU, US, China and Russia were on board.
The sanctions against Russia are having an effect, because they are broadly adopted. And because Russia has only energy as a significant export product...
Economic leverage over China is there. But isn't sufficient to "force" them to do anything.
And if a trade war gets nasty?With China’s industrial capacity and political clout it can survive the worst effects of the sanctions, more likely the Chinese would nationalize most US entities that have investments in China and dump all its dollar holdings wrecking America’s currency forcing many nations into a trade with China. The US will be forced to develop a lot of its manufacturing from scratch and redevelop trade ties and its financial strength from scratch after the Chinese economic blitzkreig. America’s own political weight coupled with its military strength would most likely see it survive and recover from the initial shock of Chinese sanctions, but both nations would lose out in the long run and the impact on the rest of the world will be disastrous.
Ambassador

Post 11 Jul 2017, 3:36 pm

From today's WSJ new section:
The Justice Department, in a federal-court case that was partly unsealed last week, pointed to “offshore U.S. dollar accounts” associated with a network of five companies linked to Chinese national Chi Yupeng. That included one of the largest importers of North Korean goods into China, Dandong Zhicheng Metallic Material Co.
Citing sources that included
two North Korean defectors, the Justice Department said the socalled Chi Yupeng network hid transactions that helped finance North Korea’s military and arms programs.
That network isn’t under U.S. sanctions but analysts say it is a vital source of funds that can be choked off, in the same way the U.S. targeted another Chinese firm late last year, Dandong Hongxiang Industrial Development Co. Ltd.

Here's what happened to them: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -hongxiang
Emissary

Post 12 Jul 2017, 7:53 am

Freeman:

There was nothing wrong with Obama's red line. He just should have followed through.

I laughed out loud at this comment. And then a page later...

Freeman:

NOTHING motivates China other than its pursuit of wealth. Thus their increase in trade with NK in spite of our dilemma with NK.

Rickyp:

The US will be forced to develop a lot of its manufacturing from scratch and redevelop trade ties and its financial strength from scratch after the Chinese economic blitzkreig.

I'm not so sure that China could withstand a trade war with the US Rickyp, though you bring up some interesting points worth considering.

If what you say above were to play out, it might be the best thing to happen to our economy, granted not initially, but over the long haul.

The Chinese market, in my opinion, has never had the kind of confidence that the US market has had.

I say USA 1 China 0 in a full blown trade war. They have more to lose than we do.

And if I'm right, I bet that would be enough to motivate them to bring NK to heel.

The trouble is, and this gets back to the Freeman comment above, no one has ever truly called their bluff on anything.

Trump is insane enough that he just might.
Last edited by dag hammarsjkold on 12 Jul 2017, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador

Post 12 Jul 2017, 8:11 am

I think both sides have a lot to lose, but China has way more to lose, and they know it. It's a power game and you have to pursue your advantage. Another dimension is the development of other nuclear powers. Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan all have the capability, but have not pursued it largely because of the US umbrella. But if NK develops nukes that can hit Seattle (and wipe out Redscape!) Seoul may feel that they need their own leverage to protect themselves. Why should we restrain Taiwan if China does not restrain NK. China has so much to lose here. Obama and predecessors played this hand like a pair of twos, but we have a full house, and they will fold.
Statesman

Post 12 Jul 2017, 9:24 am

rayjay
I think both sides have a lot to lose, but China has way more to lose, and they know it.

It may well be that China would lose long term... I don't think they need to worry about long term though.
The US is a democracy that is largely influenced by corporate money. (We won't use the label oligarchy, but the US domestic politics is far more responsive to corporate money than other democracies). And those in the US hurt by the initial effects of a trade war will lobby their government very hard. When its US corporations, banks and other internationals suffering the lobbying will be loud and long and effective. I doubt any US government would survive the domestic political fall out from a full on trade war. Too many hurt in the collateral damage.
China, on the other hand, is authoritarian. Although they eventually have to respond to the needs of the populace to survive politically , a four or 5 year trade war would not be politically dangerous for them.

Meanwhile the EU and others would eat up much of the trade with China that the US eschews. (You can bet Canada and Australia would step in on a lot of the agricultural trade. No problem.) And those relationships would also survive a short term US/China trade war. China would bounce back. The US, probably not so much.

Still better not to risk this kind of response... Talk. Give China what they want which is for the US to talk to NK and offer them some fig leaf they can wave like a large banner...
Ambassador

Post 12 Jul 2017, 10:28 am

rickyp wrote:rayjay
I think both sides have a lot to lose, but China has way more to lose, and they know it.

It may well be that China would lose long term... I don't think they need to worry about long term though.
The US is a democracy that is largely influenced by corporate money. (We won't use the label oligarchy, but the US domestic politics is far more responsive to corporate money than other democracies). And those in the US hurt by the initial effects of a trade war will lobby their government very hard. When its US corporations, banks and other internationals suffering the lobbying will be loud and long and effective. I doubt any US government would survive the domestic political fall out from a full on trade war. Too many hurt in the collateral damage.
China, on the other hand, is authoritarian. Although they eventually have to respond to the needs of the populace to survive politically , a four or 5 year trade war would not be politically dangerous for them.

Meanwhile the EU and others would eat up much of the trade with China that the US eschews. (You can bet Canada and Australia would step in on a lot of the agricultural trade. No problem.) And those relationships would also survive a short term US/China trade war. China would bounce back. The US, probably not so much.

Still better not to risk this kind of response... Talk. Give China what they want which is for the US to talk to NK and offer them some fig leaf they can wave like a large banner...

Democracy is the most stable political system. All authoritarian governments are in danger of regime change.

No one is advocating trade war. I'm just saying we should use our economic, military, and cultural leverage.
Statesman

Post 12 Jul 2017, 11:07 am

rayjay
Democracy is the most stable political system.

Yes. Because it is most responsive to the needs of the populace. Which is why sustaining a damaging trade war would be difficult. If too many people get hurt, the government is turfed and the opposition makes changes. Ending up the trade war would be act one..

rayjay
All authoritarian governments are in danger of regime change

Because they eventually fail to respond to their populaces needs....
China's government has been pretty good at improving the lot of many of its citizens over the last 30 years..... And a trade war would be difficult to manage, but 4 or 5 years they could manage.

rayjay
No one is advocating trade war. I'm just saying we should use our economic, military, and cultural leverage.

If China remains recalcitrant....They just won't enforce the last wave of sanctions that you illustrate as possible.... whats the leverage?
I think that the trade and diplomatic professionals in this area have been trying to ratchet things up for years... But that any actions taken against China would result in significant collateral damage to the extent a trade war ensues...And that would be bad.
Its deciding whether you can back up that line with real effect.
Adjutant

Post 12 Jul 2017, 11:43 am

I think RJ hit the nail on the head and why I had such a problem with Ricky's analysis and to a lesser extent Dags (who I have trouble figuring out where his position is). You can't just look at your own downside when thinking any option without considering how your opponent is looking at their downside as well. There is a story that General Ulysses Grant relates about early in the war he was fretting over attacking a Confederate position and when he finally did so he found that the Confederates had panicked and abandoned their position. And he realized that the Confederate general was just as scared about his intentions as he had been of the Confederates. And that changed his fundamental outlook on how to conduct war.

We're the most powerful economic and military country on earth...and yet in foreign policy it's our downside that tends to get emphasized rather than considering the downside of the countries we are dealing with. We need to look at their downside too.
Ambassador

Post 12 Jul 2017, 12:36 pm

freeman3 wrote:I think RJ hit the nail on the head and why I had such a problem with Ricky's analysis and to a lesser extent Dags (who I have trouble figuring out where his position is). You can't just look at your own downside when thinking any option without considering how your opponent is looking at their downside as well. There is a story that General Ulysses Grant relates about early in the war he was fretting over attacking a Confederate position and when he finally did so he found that the Confederates had panicked and abandoned their position. And he realized that the Confederate general was just as scared about his intentions as he had been of the Confederates. And that changed his fundamental outlook on how to conduct war.

We're the most powerful economic and military country on earth...and yet in foreign policy it's our downside that tends to get emphasized rather than considering the downside of the countries we are dealing with. We need to look at their downside too.

So true, IF your opponent is rational.

An irrational opponent who has a belief that nothing bad *can* happen to him, will do whatever he pleases because he *knows* nothing will happen to him. That is NK's dictator.
Statesman

Post 13 Jul 2017, 7:08 am

freeman3

When I reread this discussion its clear that many people brought up the potential downside for China.
RayJay particularly.
What was missed?