Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 02 May 2017, 9:11 am

Within the past couple of days Trump has called Jong Dong Un "a pretty smart cookie", praised his ability to survive against his generals and his uncle after coming to power at a young age, and said he would be "honored" to meet with him; he had a "very pleasant conversation" with Philippine president Duterte whose war on drugs has resulted in 8,000 deaths, who told reporters memorably that "The Constitution cannot help you if you disrespect a person" and who was invited to the White House and Trump also said that Andrew Jackson, a slaveowner who owned 150 slaves when he died,could have prevented the Civil War...

If only the Founders could see us now and how far we have progressed to see a , uh, jackass make such stunningly stupid pronouncements...
Dignitary

Post 03 May 2017, 11:05 am

freeman3 wrote:Within the past couple of days Trump has called Jong Dong Un "a pretty smart cookie", praised his ability to survive against his generals and his uncle after coming to power at a young age, and said he would be "honored" to meet with him; he had a "very pleasant conversation" with Philippine president Duterte whose war on drugs has resulted in 8,000 deaths, who told reporters memorably that "The Constitution cannot help you if you disrespect a person" and who was invited to the White House and Trump also said that Andrew Jackson, a slaveowner who owned 150 slaves when he died,could have prevented the Civil War...

If only the Founders could see us now and how far we have progressed to see a , uh, jackass make such stunningly stupid pronouncements...

This doesn't bother me as much as it bothers many anti-trump people. If you hate someone or something that they're doing, express yourself by having a conversation. Now, I don't think Trump is going to be able to pull off any diplomatic miracles, but its foolish not to try.
Adjutant

Post 03 May 2017, 11:13 am

I agree with you--it's good to try diplomacy with even your enemies. But praise for guys like this gives a signal (I think) that the US is not that committed to human rights under Trump. It rubs me the wrong me at least.
Dignitary

Post 03 May 2017, 12:21 pm

freeman3 wrote:I agree with you--it's good to try diplomacy with even your enemies. But praise for guys like this gives a signal (I think) that the US is not that committed to human rights under Trump. It rubs me the wrong me at least.

Seems a little like false flattery, especially considering the source. If you're going to meet with someone, you want them thinking the best, not to be on the defensive. It's words, not actions. I see where you're coming from, but if you think like a dipper, you may be more sympathetic.
Ambassador

Post 03 May 2017, 3:02 pm

geojanes wrote:
freeman3 wrote:I agree with you--it's good to try diplomacy with even your enemies. But praise for guys like this gives a signal (I think) that the US is not that committed to human rights under Trump. It rubs me the wrong me at least.

Seems a little like false flattery, especially considering the source. If you're going to meet with someone, you want them thinking the best, not to be on the defensive. It's words, not actions. I see where you're coming from, but if you think like a dipper, you may be more sympathetic.

If Trump has a clue, which I am not granting, this is more about maneuvering China than it has anything to do with North Korea or Kim directly. It strikes me of being of this variety: "I'm really trying to be reasonable with this youngster. If he can't see that, maybe you'll have to take him to the woodshed, President Xi."
Adjutant

Post 03 May 2017, 4:00 pm

Going back to George's comment about thinking like a dipper...I know it's a game and all but I was never that great at lying or manipulating people. Sure, I might say nice things or whatever and that's a form of manipulation but outright deception I don't like that too much. I like the strategy, the tactics, , trying to form plans, trying to persuade, the writing--that's fun. Guess I am getting soft in my old age...

As to DF's comment, I guess he could be trying to show the Chinese that he is doing what he can to reach a resolution and if not it's North Korea fault and then China might side with us. I am just not sure this is conscious manipulation, though. From what I can tell he thinks of himself as tough and strong--those are extremely important parts of his character in his mind--and he respects that in others. He seems to have a pattern of showing respect to those foreign leaders that demonstrate toughness, regardless of political calculation. But who knows what goes on another person's mind, I suppose.