Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 18 May 2011, 1:04 pm

An amazing speech by NSA Senior Executive whistleblower Thomas Drake
http://youtu.be/7GShq2yECe0
Dignitary

Post 15 Jun 2011, 8:54 am

If you didn't hear, this case was pleaded. Drake pleaded guilty to a minor offense, and it looks like no jail time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/11/us/11justice.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=thomas%20drake&st=cse

I find the heavy hand of Obama's justice department disturbing. As they say, only someone with Nixon's cred could open up China, could it be that only someone with Obama's cred could further expand the police state? (Overstated to make a point).
Ambassador

Post 15 Jun 2011, 8:59 am

How do we determine (practically or legally) whether leaking to the press is whistle blowing or just sour grapes relating to decisions with which you disagree?
Dignitary

Post 15 Jun 2011, 10:05 am

I don't know. But my sense is that this is part of what the Justice Department does when it decides what cases it will pursue and what charges it will bring. But I freely admit being entirely ignorant on how the process works.
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 15 Jun 2011, 2:39 pm

Ray Jay wrote:How do we determine (practically or legally) whether leaking to the press is whistle blowing or just sour grapes relating to decisions with which you disagree?

Oh like it's that hard. We are suppose to believe the system is working well when those that expose massive wrongdoing are prosecuted and no action is taken against the malfeasance of those exposed?

If they feel they are above board then why not let an independent prosecutor go after anyone and everything related to the matter? Those exposed by whistleblowers have nothing to hide, right?

That would be a great way to handle things going forward. The government can't prosecute people for public exposure unless they use an independent prosecutor, and said prosecutor will have unlimited scope to go after anyone related to said exposure.
Ambassador

Post 15 Jun 2011, 2:55 pm

I don't know very much about this case. I do know that these situations are often more complicated than the press portrays. It is hard.
Dignitary

Post 15 Jun 2011, 4:52 pm

Neal Anderth wrote:That would be a great way to handle things going forward. The government can't prosecute people for public exposure unless they use an independent prosecutor, and said prosecutor will have unlimited scope to go after anyone related to said exposure.

Define an Independent Prosecutor.