Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 13 May 2011, 1:03 pm

I actually had been thinking about a forum devoted to demagogic speeches by the President since his ridiculous slandering of Paul Ryan after making sure to get him a front row seat a few weeks ago. In fact, I was going to start compiling them and post them here.

Thankfully, Charles Krauthammer beat me to the punch:

Constructive and civil debate — like the one Obama initiated just four weeks ago on deficit reduction? The speech in which he accused the Republicans of abandoning families of kids with autism and Down syndrome? The debate in which Obama’s secretary of health and human services said that the Republican plan would make old folks “die sooner”?

In this same spirit of comity and mutual respect, Obama’s most recent invitation to civil discourse — on immigration — came just eleven minutes after he accused opponents of moving the goal posts on border enforcement. “Maybe they’ll need a moat,” he said sarcastically. “Maybe they want alligators in the moat.”

Nice touch. Looks like the Tucson truce — no demonization, no cross-hairs metaphors — is officially over. After all, the Republicans want to kill off the elderly, throw the disabled in the snow, and watch alligators lunch on illegal immigrants.

The El Paso speech is notable not for breaking any new ground on immigration, but for perfectly illustrating Obama’s political style: the professorial, almost therapeutic, invitation to civil discourse, wrapped around the basest of rhetorical devices — charges of malice compounded with accusations of bad faith. “They’ll never be satisfied,” said Obama about border control. “And I understand that. That’s politics.”

How understanding. The other side plays “politics,” Obama acts in the public interest. Their eyes are on poll numbers, political power, the next election; Obama’s rest fixedly on the little children.

This impugning of motives is an Obama constant. “They” play politics with deficit reduction, with government shutdowns, with health care. And now immigration. It is ironic that such a charge should be made in a speech that is nothing but politics. There is zero chance of any immigration legislation passing Congress in the next two years. El Paso was simply an attempt to gin up the Hispanic vote as part of an openly political two-city, three-event campaign swing in preparation for 2012.

Why do I dislike the President so intensely? It's not just because of his politics, though I don't like them much. It has nothing to do with his race, although many of his supporters will immediately accuse his opponents of having some racial motive. It's not because I'm rich and he's threatening me.

It's because he tries to appear so above the fray while throwing elbows and kicking shins with the best of them. He is, in my opinion, the uber-demagogue. Many of his speeches are laced with the inherent contradictions Krauthammer points to--he wants to solve problems, the President says, and he understands (of course) that reasonable people can disagree. However, as he wipes a tear from his eye, his opponents, while occasionally well-intentioned, don't understand their desires will lead to old people starving to death and handicapped kids getting warehoused.

He professes to love openness, while his Administration denies FOIA after FOIA. He wants a more democratic process, but when that fails (as in he can't get campaign finance reform passed even though his party had both houses), he'll just create the law by fiat (even Steny Hoyer opposes him on this).

The President says the border is secure. Really? Then maybe he can explain the violence along the border that's in the news nearly every day? I'm sure he can explain the mass of illegals in border state prison and jail systems. The fact that it's possible that some choose not to sneak in right now because the economy is down does not mean the border is secure. I don't think it unreasonable to say that if unemployment was 5% we would have a lot more folks coming here.

Why not create a tamper-proof ID first? Why not make sure illegal aliens cannot work before establishing amnesty? Why not ask the border governors to certify the border is secure before creating an amnesty program?

Because this isn't about security. It's about politics. It's exactly what he did with his budget outline (note well: there is still no genuine "budget" other than the one he released early this year that offered no cuts of any substance). It's what he did on healthcare. This is his MO.

With this President, it's always politics. "So what?" some will say.

So this: all politicians play this game to some extent or another. However, this man said he would not. He promised "hope" and "change." His presidency has become the most cynical and dishonest since Nixon. Give him four more years and he might beat out old Tricky.

As his demagoguery continues, I'll post it right here.
Ambassador

Post 13 May 2011, 1:04 pm

Oh, the King of Comedy notion came from his "hilarious" crack about a moat with alligators. Soooooooo funny. :no:
Ambassador

Post 24 Jun 2011, 4:59 pm

What a fraud:

We’re not going to pull up the ladder behind us. I’m not going to reduce our deficit by sacrificing the things that always made up great as a people. (Applause.) I’m not going to sacrifice investments in education. I’m not going to make scholarships harder to get and more expensive for young people. I’m not going to sacrifice the safety of our highways or our airports. I’m not going to sacrifice clean air and clean water. (Applause.) I’m not going to sacrifice clean energy at a time when we need to free ourselves from dependence on foreign oil, and folks are getting killed at the pump. I’m not going to sacrifice America’s future. (Applause.)

There’s more than one way to mortgage America’s future. We mortgage that future if we don’t get a handle on our deficit and debt, but we also mortgage it if we’re not investing in those things that will assure the promise of the American Dream for the next generation.

And so part of this budget debate has to be about ending tax cuts for the wealthiest 2 percent of Americans in this country. (Applause.) I say that -- (applause) -- look, I say that not because I want to punish success. It’s because if we’re going to ask all Americans to sacrifice a little bit, we can’t just say to millionaires and billionaires, you guys go ahead, don't worry about it. (Laughter.) Just keep on counting your money. (Laughter.)

I’m talking about myself. Look, I don't want a $200,000 tax cut that's paid for by asking 33 seniors each to pay $6,000 more in Medicare costs. I don't want that. (Applause.) I don't want a tax cut that's paid for by slashing Head Start slots for young people here in New York City -- (applause) -- or eliminating health insurance for millions of people currently on Medicaid, seniors in nursing homes and poor kids and families with children with autism or other disabilities.

That's not a tradeoff I’m willing to make. (Applause.) That's not a tradeoff most Americans are willing to make. That's not who we are. We are better than that. That's what this debate is about. (Applause.) We’re better than that. (Applause.)

What makes America great isn’t just our skyscrapers. It’s not our military might. It’s not the size of our GDP. All those things are things that we are rightly proud of. But at our core, what makes us great is our character. We are individualists. We believe in free markets. We are entrepreneurs. We believe that each of us is endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights and liberties. We don’t like folks telling us what to do. (Laughter.) That’s part of what makes us American.

But what also makes us American is the idea that we’re all in this together, that I am my brother’s keeper, I am my sister’s keeper, and that when I look out for somebody else I’m not doing it out of charity. If I’m driving through Harlem and I see a well-constructed school and young people that I know are being taught what they need to learn, my life is better. (Applause.) I know I’ll be safer, and I know that as a country we’ll be aligned. We’ll be moving together forward hand-in-hand, and this country will be less divided. My life will be better.

If I’m driving by Central Park and I see an elderly couple strolling, holding hand-in-hand, and I think to myself someday Michelle and me, we’re going to be strolling hand-in-hand. (Applause.) And I’ll be able to take a walk in Central Park again, and nobody will recognize me. (Laughter and applause.) But it makes me to feel good to know that that couple, they’ve got Social Security, they’ve got Medicare, that they’ve got a sense of dignity and security in their golden years. (Applause.)
It’s not charity -- it makes my life better. No man is an island. We’re not here by ourselves. That’s our vision of America. It’s not a vision of a small America. It’s a vision of a big America that is compassionate and generous and bold and optimistic.

I don’t want a cramped idea of America. I don’t want an idea of America that says, “no, we can’t” -- and we can’t afford to look after folks who need help, and we can’t afford to make sure that the ladders of opportunity are available for the next generation, and our seniors have to fend for ourselves, and we can’t afford to rebuild our infrastructure, and we can’t afford to invest in science and basic research. That’s not the America I know.

I want a confident America where, yes, everybody makes sacrifices, but nobody bears all the burden, and we live up to the idea that no matter who we are, no matter what we look like, no matter whether our ancestors landed on Ellis Island or came here on a slave ship or crossed the Rio Grande, we are all connected to one another. We rise and fall together. (Applause.)

"Mean old Republicans want to keep the little people down, want kids to be uneducated, old people to die penniless in the gutter, and would take away all the "freedom" I'm giving you." - BHO
Dignitary

Post 24 Jun 2011, 6:19 pm

It's a good speech, and sure it's political, 'cause that's what he is.

But I will say this: until Republican's embrace the idea of tax reform so that the super rich actually pay their fair share of taxes (e.g. Warren Buffet's 17.7% rate), his point will resonate far and wide. Walking away in a huff when the topic is even broached is NOT a winning strategy.
Ambassador

Post 25 Jun 2011, 5:11 am

I think the Republican leadership is in a bind. If they cave on taxes, then they jeopardize their reelections and subject themselves to primary challenges. I agree that taxes on the upper income brackets should be raised in a couple of years in exchange for tremendous reduction in spending. They have to figure out a way to give Republicans political cover so that we get there.
Ambassador

Post 25 Jun 2011, 6:47 am

geojanes wrote:It's a good speech, and sure it's political, 'cause that's what he is.

But I will say this: until Republican's embrace the idea of tax reform so that the super rich actually pay their fair share of taxes (e.g. Warren Buffet's 17.7% rate), his point will resonate far and wide. Walking away in a huff when the topic is even broached is NOT a winning strategy.

Do you write for the NYT? That's almost pulled straight from their pages.

"Walking away in a huff?" Come on.

Democrats: Let's raise taxes and cut military spending. Entitlement spending and "investing in the future" is untouchable.

Republicans: If we raise taxes in a weak economy, we risk a double-dip. We have to rein in entitlements--they are the main drivers of debt.

Rinse. Repeat.

Democrats are playing politics with the future of the country. If, as you suspect, this is successful, we will go bankrupt. We can't tax our way out of this, no matter how much liberals and "swing voters" think we can.

Obama's speech. He said, in one of those fundraisers, that he would not allow the budget to be balanced on the backs of the poor.

1. When has that ever happened? By definition the poor have no money.

2. Who is proposing that?

That's why he's Demagogue in Chief.
Ambassador

Post 25 Jun 2011, 6:53 am

Oh, here's a piece of it:

. . . tax cut that's paid for by asking 33 seniors each to pay $6,000 more in Medicare costs. I don't want that. (Applause.) I don't want a tax cut that's paid for by slashing Head Start slots for young people here in New York City -- (applause) -- or eliminating health insurance for millions of people currently on Medicaid, seniors in nursing homes and poor kids and families with children with autism or other disabilities.

That's not a tradeoff I’m willing to make. (Applause.) That's not a tradeoff most Americans are willing to make. That's not who we are. We are better than that. That's what this debate is about. (Applause.) We’re better than that. (Applause.)

Republicans want to kill people. I won't let that happen. They're evil. I'm nice. We can afford to give everyone everything. Trust me, I'm Barack Obama.
Administrator

Post 25 Jun 2011, 7:20 am

George, RJ, RickyP
How much is too much in taxes to be paid? What percentage for a "super-rich" is too much? What tax bracket (s)would have to pay that?
Ambassador

Post 25 Jun 2011, 7:50 am

bbauska wrote:George, RJ, RickyP
How much is too much in taxes to be paid? What percentage for a "super-rich" is too much? What tax bracket (s)would have to pay that?

Gah! Can we push this back to the budget forum?

I think there is another corollary that needs to be answered: how much money would said tax increases bring in? Another: how much might that hurt the economy in terms of jobs lost? Another: can we contain debt and deficits without reforming entitlements? So far, Democrats have been firm, "Kick the can."
Administrator

Post 25 Jun 2011, 8:48 am

Can do
Ambassador

Post 29 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

Kids are going to suffer. Food is going to be unsafe. People are going to needlessly die. Of course, it's all because the GOP won't agree to increase taxes.

If President Obama's news conference accomplished anything on Wednesday afternoon, it underscored, in striking tones, his strategy for winning the debt ceiling fight with Republicans: Make it a clash of classes.

Rich versus Poor.
Us versus Them.
Those who support children, food safety, medical research and, presumably, puppies and apple pie versus the rich fat cats who don't.

In Obama's world, Democrats are for kids and Republicans are for corporate jets. That is a sharp distinction that could help put the GOP on defensive, but it may not be enough to persuade Republicans to change their posture on the debt-ceiling talks.

Republicans have cast Obama as a tax-raiser and a Big-Government spender. This was his jujitsu move to turn their arguments against them. With a hint of disdain, Obama even dredged up the death of Osama bin Laden to score a political point.

"I've been doing Afghanistan, bin Laden and the Greek crisis," Obama said, jabbing Congress for being out of session so much. "You stay here. Let's get it done."

In his first full-scale news conference since March, the president insisted that Democrats had compromised in private talks by agreeing to billions of dollars in budget cuts that would hurt their voters. But, he said, Republicans were refusing to bend by not agreeing to eliminate tax breaks to owners of corporate jets and profit-rich oil companies. If Republicans get their way, Obama said, the end result would be unbalanced deal that lifts the debt limit but forces the government to make deeper-than-necessary cuts.

"If we do not have revenues, that means there are a bunch of kids out there who do not have college scholarships," Obama said. "[It] might compromise the National Weather Services. It means we might not be funding critical medical research. It means food inspection might be compromised. I've said to Republican leaders, 'You go talk to your constituents and ask them, "Are you willing to compromise your kids' safety so some corporate-jet owner can get a tax break?" ' ''

Just in case any viewer missed his class-clashing message, Obama referred to corporate-jet owners at least three more times before he took his second question.

Meanwhile, all the fat cats (those making $250K) are flitting about in their private jets:

President Obama has a new term for the people he wants to tax more: jet owners.

In his news conference today, the president said: “I think it’s only fair to ask an oil company or a corporate jet owner that’s doing so well to give up that tax break….I don’t think that’s real radical.”

Asking private-jet owners to give up tax breaks may not be that radical. And it probably would be supported by the vast majority of the nonjet-owning voters.

The problem is that most of the people that would be subject to the higher taxes the president wants aren’t likely to be private-jet owners. Someone earning $250,000 a year–among those scheduled for a tax increase in 2012–is unlikely to afford a jet–or even a few charter trips on a jet.

For those, like the president, who may not be well-versed in Jetonomics, here are some of the basics. The numbers come courtesy of Jay Duckson at Central Business jets:

COST OF BUYING A JET

New Citation CJ (entry level jet)–$5 million. Annual operating costs (fuel, hangar space, pilots) about $500,000.

Cheapest Used Jet–$100,000 to $500,000. Annual operating costs (hangar, pilots, mechanics, fuel) about $1 million a year.

He's the best. He spends a great deal of time scorning and mocking his opponents, then complains about the lack of civility in the next breath.

He complains about Congress going on vacation, but he's going.

He complains about Republicans not cooperating. Well, they voted on a budget. His was voted down 97-0. He's done very little since--holding only secret meetings, which is funny since he was going to be transparent.

"Leading from behind" and demagoguing one's opponents--it's the Obama way.
Ambassador

Post 30 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

Steve:
Meanwhile, all the fat cats (those making $250K) are flitting about in their private jets:

There's an interesting dance going on here. Obama wants to raise taxes in 3 ways:

1. Limit the deductibility of private jets.
2. Reduce favorable tax breaks for oil and gas companies.
3. Limit deductions for individuals making more than $250,000 per year.

Obama emphasizes only the 1st two in his talk.

Now the Republicans have to respond. What they could say is that they agree with Obama on #s 1 and 2. However, they are reluctant to say that because of political concerns. This enables Obama to get away with his simplifying description.

Instead, the Republicans say no tax increases and enable Obama to blame them for the deadlock. I think the Republicans are going to have to give in on #s 1 and 2 or they will lose the PR battle.
Administrator

Post 30 Jun 2011, 1:50 pm

Ray Jay,
Do you think it is acceptable to treat one portion of society differently than another?

As to the 3 points...
1. As long as all businesses and people have the deductions limited, I am fine with that.
2. Remove all tax breaks for businesses equally. That makes it fair.
3. Limit deductions for ALL people equally regardless of income.

Basically I consider President Obama's recommendations to be class warfare, divisive, and discriminatory.
Ambassador

Post 30 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

bbauska wrote:Ray Jay,
Do you think it is acceptable to treat one portion of society differently than another?
We treat 'different' sections of society differently all the time. Children are not treated like adults. Seniors are treated different to younger people. The military are treated differently to civilians. Poor people are treated differently to the rich.

Clearly differences exist. It takes more than their existence to justify different treatment, for sure, but at the same time it's not alwasy unfair to discriminate.

Basically I consider President Obama's recommendations to be class warfare, divisive, and discriminatory.
Class warfare. Yeah, right. You guys haven't seen real class warfare for a while, have you? A small rise in taxation is not exactly the storming of the Winter Palace. Some poor people having tax breaks is not the liquidation of the kulaks. Differential and progressive tax systems are not 'class war'.

Ok?

Now back to your hyperbole while you accuse the president of the same thing.
Ambassador

Post 30 Jun 2011, 2:23 pm

bbauska wrote:Ray Jay,

As to the 3 points...
1. As long as all businesses and people have the deductions limited, I am fine with that.
2. Remove all tax breaks for businesses equally. That makes it fair.
3. Limit deductions for ALL people equally regardless of income.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I do think it is just fine to have higher marginal tax rates for people who have higher incomes.

I don't know the particulars on the deductions he is referring to as it relates to corporate jets and oil and gas, but my sense is that they can be trimmed. There are all sorts of special provisions in the tax code that would shock you.

Regarding the phase out of the deductions, this is not good tax policy. It's really a way to stealthily add to the marginal rate, and it needlessly complicates our tax system.